News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

My thinking was not when the the theater is in operation but when people are exiting and entering the auditorium. It can be a mass of people at times. Not everyone will be wearing masks inside the theatre because of popcorn, drinks etc. It is logical to assume that people will not be wearing masks when exiting.

To that end they will be a disaster in the making. May as well just reopen the whole damn thing.

I respectfully disagree with your line of reasoning.

I expect people not to be wearing masks when eating popcorn, and if properly distanced that should be fine.

I also expect said people to wear masks when entering/exiting the auditorium.

If they don't, in any material numbers, then cinemas will have to be shut down again.

I respectfully disagree with your line of reasoning.

I expect people not to be wearing masks when eating popcorn, and if properly distanced that should be fine.

I also expect said people to wear masks when entering/exiting the auditorium.

If they don't, in any material numbers, then cinemas will have to be shut down again.

Totally understandable. Personally I want theatres to open as being cooped at home is losing its appeal.

Movie trivia app TimePlay will no longer be available in theatres, Cineplex says

Jan 7, 2021

Cineplex says that movie trivia app TimePlay will no longer be available at its theatres as of 2021.

In a statement Thursday, the country’s largest theatre chain said that the move to cut their partnership with the tech company that operates the app came amid “really tough decisions” since the start of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

“As a result, I can confirm that after nearly 32 million games and over 330 million SCENE points awarded, the end of 2020 saw the final TimePlay game played at our theatres,” wrote Cineplex spokesperson Sarah Van Lange.

Movie trivia app TimePlay will no longer be available in theatres, Cineplex says

Jan 7, 2021

Cineplex says that movie trivia app TimePlay will no longer be available at its theatres as of 2021.

In a statement Thursday, the country’s largest theatre chain said that the move to cut their partnership with the tech company that operates the app came amid “really tough decisions” since the start of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

“As a result, I can confirm that after nearly 32 million games and over 330 million SCENE points awarded, the end of 2020 saw the final TimePlay game played at our theatres,” wrote Cineplex spokesperson Sarah Van Lange.

Not surprising. I found timeplay somewhat lacking.

It was good at first but then the prizes were crap

Not surprising. I found timeplay somewhat lacking.

It was good at first but then the prizes were crap

Agreed. When it first launched even the basic prizes were worthwhile.

Between the buggy app and underwhelming prizes can't say I'll miss it.

Spacing.ca with a piece on the original Loew's Theatre on Yonge Street, which became the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre:

Article on the former Vaughan Theatre, which used to be located on Vaughan Road just south of St. Clair W. Built in 1947 and demolished in the 1980s.

Former University Theatre on Bloor near Bellair:

20211109_195015.jpg

One I never got to go to before it was shuttered and demo'ed.

It was still open when I was was little and first started going to movies.

I believe it closed '86...........

I started to going to movies earnestly, w/my folks in '84.

But somehow we never got there, as a family.

My childhood theatre was Cedarbrae Theatre. It was demo'ed in the early 2000s but growing up in West Hill it was the go-to theatre.

I believe it was torn down due to size and lack of demand. It was your typical 1980s theatre and not easily retrofitted.

Once Coliseum Scarborough opened up alot of the older theatres in Scarborough were toast.

My first memory of watching a movie at a theatre was Jurassic Park at the old Cineplex Odeon Eaton Centre as a child with my father sometime fairly shortly before they closed. After that it was up at Yorkdale.

I went to high school in the Yonge & Eg area so we went to the Cineplex there. But also to Yorkdale or Empress Walk. Interestingly, I didn't start making Scotiabank theatre my go to place until later on as a young adult.

One I never got to go to before it was shuttered and demo'ed.

It was still open when I was was little and first started going to movies.

I believe it closed '86...........

I started to going to movies earnestly, w/my folks in '84.

But somehow we never got there, as a family.

I recall my mom taking me there to see The Gods Must Be Crazy.

My first memory of watching a movie at a theatre was Jurassic Park at the old Cineplex Odeon Eaton Centre as a child with my father sometime fairly shortly before they closed. After that it was up at Yorkdale.

I went to high school in the Yonge & Eg area so we went to the Cineplex there. But also to Yorkdale or Empress Walk. Interestingly, I didn't start making Scotiabank theatre my go to place until later on as a young adult.

IIRC Empress Walk has the only high frame rate theatre in Toronto. I recall seeing the Hobbit there specifically because it was the only theatre capable of showing it in high frame rate (which was an option for the movie).

Some exterior photos of the Uptown, the other major theatre around Yonge & Bloor from that time:

View attachment 362050

View attachment 362051View attachment 362052

That, of course was never 'the front door' to the Uptown........that was the frontdoor to the Backstage Cinemas, @theUptown.
As a customer, you could not traverse between the 2 parts of the building.

As you might imagine, 'The Uptown' was originally built as a 2,000+ seat auditorium, with balcony, and a real stage that would allow for live performances.

When the Uptown was multi-plexed in the 70s.......

What had been the Balcony became what I grew up with as Cinema 1 (the Main Auditorium)
The lower level got a new ceiling (floor in front of what had been the balcony); and was divided into 2 side by side cinemas,

The 'Backstage' was, of course, just that, the area that contained all the room for flies an rigs, and sets etc.
That area was cordoned off and made into its own 2-screen complex, with its own entrance, the original backstage entrance for performers/staff.

Only Cinema number 1 had some of the grandeur of the original; 2 and 3 were a decent size, but finished quite plainly.

While the Backstage was the micro-box before the Eaton Centre made that a thing.

The interior of the original:

1636578710981.png

Via: www.tayloronhistory.com

This is the version I grew up with:

1636578837223.png

Credit: Roger Jowell

This was the Backstage:

1636578879579.png

Credit: Roger Jowell

Last edited:

Back