8.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.6K     0 

greenleaf

Member Bio
Reaction score
I noticed a CEO search for Museum Toronto on the workinculture.ca site.

In the job description it mentions: "We aspire to rethink the Canadian big- city history museum traditions, and to develop architecturally thoughtful, purpose- built space that will support serious, reflective civic conversations in an environment of tolerance and respect. We aspire to become Toronto’s centre of citizen engagement on issues of contemporary and historic importance to the life of the city. We will feature brilliant artifacts and explore and implement the latest in museum programming."

A bit more from this blog post outlines some of the discussion of a June 3 meeting.

Mods, please move to another section of the forum if more appropriate. Also, perhaps rename thread to Museum of Toronto, as per the name used in the blog post.

Last edited:
How we still are without a Toronto museum shocks me. I really hope this happens in the foreseeable future and I keep holding on to hope that Old City Hall will be the location.

I agree with the Old City Hall sentiment completely. I think it's the only place to put the Toronto museum, and I hope that we get a glassed in courtyard to highlight that building's beauty.

I'd rather the central courtyard be left open; no need for an intervention there. The whole building certainly needs some TLC and restoration work though.

As much as I would like to see a Toronto Museum, I am not sure if Old City Hall is the best choice - the building has a certain dignity that makes it uniquely suited to use as a courthouse, while using it as a museum may pose retrofitting issues.

AoD

Imagine if the CHUM building was ever available. It does look like Bell would be liquidating some more of their assets soon.

Toronto needs a city museum and I think Old City Hall is the best location for it. The building looks great and it's large enough to make this a substantial attraction. I think now is a good time for the city to start working towards that goal and make it happen. You can't ask for a better location, right in the middle of the action.

I think I'm with AoD - I'm not sure Old City Hall would be best. It's grand and all, but I think something with some more malleable spaces could be better.

I could see a Museum of Toronto acting as an anchor to the west end of the Bloor Street Culture Corridor as part of whatever Honest Ed's redevelops as.

Considering its early location for many immigrants, somewhere in/near Kensington Market would be cool as well.

How about the old bus bay on at Yonge & Eglinton? A museum could be a cool anchor for however that develops. That neighbourhood could use a little culture too.

I wish there is a way to have it up at Casa Loma/Spadina Museum/City of Toronto Archives - and integrate all three into a new Museum of Toronto complex. Perhaps some of the galleries can be underground with small, above ground volumes like the Nelson Atkins Museum by Steven Holl.

AoD

Last edited:
^ That would be an interesting idea, and a great use of Casa Loma, but if that happens it would have to be better connected to transit. I know it's between the Dupont and St. Clair West stations, but it is not marked clearly enough and that walk between the stations and Casa Loma could be improved greatly.

Also it would get greater visitor numbers at a central location like Old City Hall IMO. Casa Loma is pretty out of the way.

Years ago I suggested to Kyle Rae that the old abandoned bank buildings around 210 Yonge would be perfect for this. Especially since the City owned the properties at the time. Now the opportunity is diminished since the south building is a condo development and the north is sold to a private investor who apparently has no idea what to do with it.

These buildings would have been perfect, though. Appropriate size; possible new construction in between them; historical in their own righ; prime location in busy tourist area, easily accessible by public transit; museum retail potential fronting Yonge could help support the projec. So much opportunity & the buildings were just sitting there in the City's hands. I'm surprised no one else suggested it.

For what it is worth, I've always thought that the much underated Moss Park Armoury would be a splendid candidate for a Toronto Museum.

There's also the Roundhouse which deserves something far better than a furniture store. Could be combined with the Railway Museum if that ever gets off the ground.

Back