8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

S

seaqueue

banner19xh.jpg

I took a daytrip to Ottawa about a week ago. It was my second time visiting the city and it was really fun. Hope you enjoy the pics!

I start out downtown
ott16dq.jpg

this is the Sparks street pedestrian mall, a tourist hot-spot. It's a very nice street with some fine buildings. The eastern portion is especially nice
ott26an.jpg

wandering around some downtown streets
ott39hi.jpg

ott49vv.jpg

ott55pa.jpg

ott69qp.jpg

the following few were taken on Bank street just south of the CBD. The side streets around here seem to be typically lined with midrise apartment buildings, detached older houses and walk-ups
ott71np.jpg

I'm not very familiar with Ottawa but I'm guessing Bank street is the city's main thoroughfare
ott93io.jpg

ott105ru.jpg

ott112fz.jpg

ott128zz.jpg

ott131rb.jpg

past the highway going south Bank street runs through the Glebe. The Glebe is a trendy neighbourhood with some nice residential streets
ott147jw.jpg

ott151vw.jpg

ott163ji.jpg

ott175oc.jpg

inside the corner store
ott187rb.jpg

ott199vz.jpg

ott212ok.jpg

back on Bank in the candy store
ott237lz.jpg

ott248rq.jpg

ott250kq.jpg

ott263tk.jpg

ott276wj.jpg

I get on the bus and head down to Somerset to make my way over to chinatown
ott280ji.jpg

at Somerset I transfer buses
ott290kv.jpg

ott302yl.jpg

the chinatown here is small and not all that interesting
ott345sa.jpg

ott364ho.jpg

ott819sr.jpg

ott330jn.jpg

with just a hint of Italian...
ott371jq.jpg

... and Indian
ott401ub.jpg

a side-street off Somerset
ott382ae.jpg

ott417rh.jpg

waiting for the bus... next stop: ByWard Market and surroundings
ott426ah.jpg

the market area was my favourite part of Ottawa. The market sells a lot of stuff including food and clothes and there are tons of cafes and restaurants around
ott448sm.jpg

ott430fx.jpg

ott462rh.jpg

ott477bo.jpg

ott501ca.jpg

ott511ky.jpg

parking at the centre of the street... I've seen this set-up in Europe quite a few times
ott521aa.jpg

ott533xu.jpg

ott540xe.jpg

ott556hr.jpg

a pleasant square tucked away behind some buildings
ott562qp.jpg

heading towards Majors Hill Park
ott574vk.jpg

ott584sw.jpg

Gatineau across the river
ott590xs.jpg

ott615js.jpg

ott627gl.jpg

ott636gh.jpg

ott649mg.jpg

ott655cx.jpg

ott666wb.jpg

back at the market
ott675re.jpg

ott686cu.jpg

ott698ct.jpg

ott719vv.jpg

I start heading back downtown
ott741lj.jpg

ott754ie.jpg

ott769bx.jpg

ott770gb.jpg

ott781yi.jpg

one last shot of the Peace Tower
ott790xu.jpg

and that's that. Hope you enjoyed!

Nice pics! I like Ottawa... it's an underrated destination. And I'm not just saying that because it's my hometown.

Nice photos. I've been to Ottawa several times, but these photos show Ottawa in a way I've never seen before. Some of the views look like small-town scenes, making it hard to believe this is the national capital of the world's second largest country!

The photos remind me of a grade 8 school trip I took to Ottawa. I ate at Oregano on the first night there, and I had beaver tails on the Rideau Canal (it was a winter trip).

Over the time I have lived in Ottawa there has been a big improvement in the downtown. After years of losing people to the suburbs there has been a marked movement of new residents to the downtown.

The Byward Market remains as the most lively part of the city. There was a time when you could only find three stores selling furniture in the Market, there are now four new ones, including a Roche Bobois. Five condo towers have just been completed or are in the process of construction, and the ugly scar of King Edward will finally be rebuilt over the next four years.

The Ottawa downtown is quite small and dense. It has a huge potential to be converted into one of the most lively and interesting of city centres. I think this is well under way.

"The Ottawa downtown is quite small and dense. It has a huge potential to be converted into one of the most lively and interesting of city centres. I think this is well under way."

I agree.

Parliament Hill in particular is truly special - to my knowledge, there is nothing quite like it anywhere else in the world. The view of the Parliament buildings from Majors Hill Park or from the Alexandra Bridge, for instance, is absolutely ****ing spectacular: those buildings perched atop the cliffs over the river is unique as far as relatively recently erected government structures go. We can all be proud of the central area of Ottawa - it's quite impressive, and is also generally immaculately maintained.

Back