8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

condovo

Member Bio
Reaction score
I walked through Nathan Phillips Square last night to see some of the new renovations. I was in utter despair. The place was completely overrun by homeless people. Every single bench was claimed by at least one street-person. People were sleeping on the ground in boxes. Some were even sleeping in tents. What the hell's going on?! Whatever happened to the $14 million "Streets to Homes" program? Absolutely shameful!

The place was completely overrun by homeless people. Every single bench was claimed by at least one street-person. People were sleeping on the ground in boxes. Some were even sleeping in tents. What the hell's going on?! Absolutely shameful!

Oh my, why city hall..do they think the politicians are going to care of them in the morning.:confused::mad: Or is the exposure there suppose to make people feel sorry.

Last edited:
I walked through Nathan Phillips Square last night to see some of the new renovations. I was in utter despair. The place was completely overrun by homeless people. Every single bench was claimed by at least one street-person. People were sleeping on the ground in boxes. Some were even sleeping in tents. What the hell's going on?! Whatever happened to the $14 million "Streets to Homes" program? Absolutely shameful!

Perhaps someone thought it was "gravy".......

That's odd I never notice that on the weekends (i.e. Friday or Saturday) and many times I walk by quite late ... well in the 10pm-12pm range.

What day was this Monday ?

The homeless ruin all of the parks downtown. Use them as garbage cans and washrooms. The other day I was at Saint James Park, and some guy used a tree as his urinal. It was still early evening, with families walking around, etc.
Something has got to change.

The homeless ruin all of the parks downtown. Use them as garbage cans and washrooms. The other day I was at Saint James Park, and some guy used a tree as his urinal. It was still early evening, with families walking around, etc.

I find this happens more on the east side ... but again during the day it's not that bad ... at least it doesn't seem that way to me.

BTW - I've noticed this in quite a few other large US cities as well - even the ones we're very found of ... so it seems like something hard to avoid ?

Like getting them homes?

I agree! I discovered that nice, new'ish park behind the Downtown Y on Grosvenor a couple weeks ago, only to realize it's actually an outdoor homeless shelter. We didn't stick around for more than a minute, sadly.

And lets not even mention the Moss Park Arena.. oops, too late.

Again do other cities handle this ? New York and Chicago have thousands of homeless and surely not enough space for all of them in shelters (or some just don't want to go) are they force to relocate in those cities ?

But again I recall these cities have this problem too ! But not necessarily in their most prominent parks

Re: homelessness

New York City used (not sure if they still do) paid the homeless to leave. If they had a family or someone willing to take them in somewhere (anywhere in the world really) the city would buy the plane ticket and ship them out.

I suppose after the construction at NPS they will hire security guards. It is a tourist place, after all.

This has been going on for a long time. For years we usually do the shortcut route through NPS to Bay St. when coming home from Scotiabank cinemas and I see this even in the winter. Never seen (or noticed) tents though. I think I mentioned this subject way back in this thread, it's shameful that so many homeless folks are sleeping on benches and under walkways after midnight once the lights in the Square are turned off in one of our most prominent civic spaces.

Most of these people dont want homes, they want money so they can go do their thing..anyways, throw them into a re-hab would make more sense.

Many have substance abuse problems and/or forms of mental illness. Some can't live in a structured environment and many are eventually booted back to the street where they find their way. It's very sad.

Last edited:
The "Streets to Homes" program is highly successful and I can't say enough good about it. Lots of cities are starting up similar programs now.

Apparently about 90% of the people housed by the program have remained in housing to date... which is the most encouraging statistic one could find, since it's about keeping people in housing (with necessary supports for maintaining and adjusting to their new lifestyle), not the sheer NUMBERS of people you get into housing. You can't just wave a magic wand and take these people off the streets- many do not want to be in housing, or cannot be in housing.

Streets to Homes seems to be the best thing we have yet, though, that's for sure.

Back