8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

mizuma

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am moving from the West End in Vancouver to Toronto soon and would like some suggestions on where to live. I like a vibrant, diverse area where I can go for a walk any time of the day and see people, and a mix of restaurants and services.

Soooooo many choices...and all areas are diverse (think hearing 10 different languages every 3 blocks). I'm sure you'll love it!

It really depends upon your very specific likes/dislikes as this type of thing is what Toronto does best. Pretty much anywhere in the core from the more upscale Yorkville/Annex area to the shops/stalls of St. Lawrence Market, the more entertainment centred King/Spadina, Central King West, West King West, and West Queen West with tons of shops/restaurants/bars/people//parks, Liberty Village is young/hip/cool/professional, Little Italy is fun but can get crazy on weekends, Bloor West Village is always populated but more with families than singles, Kensington Market is similar to Commercial Drive in Vancouver with grit, art, and a vehemently local populace.

I'd avoid the waterfront because while there are people, you always have to go somewhere else to get to decent restaurants and bars - in 10 years this'll be different.

If possible, rent for a month or so and go visit these areas before committing to a year long lease (or purchase). You really need to come and do some exploring as this type of thing is so personal. Rest assured you'll find what you're looking for.

I would suggest Liberty Village personally, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Some of my favourite times were spent in the Annex-Yorkville area, they are a great place to live and just walk around.

Couldn't have said it any better than simuls.

From what he said, you can continue to branch out into other neighbourhoods.

If possible, rent for a month or so and go visit these areas before committing to a year long lease (or purchase). You really need to come and do some exploring as this type of thing is so personal. Rest assured you'll find what you're looking for.

This is the best possible advice. Move here, rent, and feel the city before you commit to a purchase.

I've been discovering Liberty Village lately, it's OK but it seems a little sterile but not all that vibrant - at least not by day. Some projects in the area look good though. As Will345 mentions it's close to Queen West West & a little further east on King, King West which are quite vibrant areas and changing rapidly (for the better) then east of about Trinity-Bellwoods Park (a great urban space) on Queen, things really liven up.

Some of my favourite times were spent in the Annex-Yorkville area, they are a great place to live and just walk around.

I think this area fits the bill. If you cant get here (yorkville psf is pretty high), maybe in the yonge & bloor area? (a bunch of condos, casa, blu, and X is a bit east)

I love the waterfront lifestyle, but I'm more into using the Martin Goodman trail than going to the bar. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Westend vancouver is close to downtown vancouver but more relaxed, lots of tree-lined streets, close to parks, fresh vegetable stands, a few major streets with many cafes and a beach.... Think very dense housing yet tree-lined streets and a relaxed atmosphere close to the gay village. Perhaps the Old York/King East/SLM area is closest vibe? Or is it Yonge and St Clair? (I think downtown eastside Toronto meets Yonge and Eglinton is what you're looking for.) So over all, minus the dense foliage and pretty flowers, SLM/King East it is! (In general, area south of Bloor St E, west of Sherbourne.)

Last edited:

Back