8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Blixtein

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is it worth it to hire an independent inspector to inspect a brand new high-rise condo? I've received mixed info regarding this issue and am curious what other forumers think. Additionally, does anyone know a good inspector located downtown?

With respect to eyeballing the unit. I'd really take my sweet time and examine eveything very closely - including the common areas. Don't be rushed through on your inspection. Ask plenty of questions about anything. If it's looks disatisfying, then it probably is. Make absolutely sure you received all your upgrades. You paid for them up front, so make damn sure you get them installed properly.

You may want to consult with an inspector before bringing one along. Ask about their services with repsect to inspecting a condo unit. They will only look, and will not touch. That is your job.

I've never heard of anyone hiring an inspector. What I recommend is take someone along with you, especially if you have a friend or family member who has been through this process before. A second set of eyes who is impartial & help to catch deficiencies can be very helpful.

When you get into your unit try not to get too goggle-eyed. Look around and enjoy your new home then focus and get to work. Go room by room and thoroughly inspect everything, wall by wall and window by window. Check everything from outlets (socket tester or something small you can plug in) to the quality of workmanship of cabinets, tiling, hardwood/laminate, counter tops, that walls are straight, windows open with ease, sliding balcony doors seal properly, doors all open & close with ease and engage properly etc etc. Do not let anyone rush you. Note every single item in detail that YOU believe is a deficiency or anything relating to poor workmanship, don't let anyone talk you out of "that's the way it should be". Write everything onto the Tarion report in pen and ask for a photocopy when you leave.

Finally, it's very common to walk into an empty condo of which you have been staring at floorplans for months - or years - and immediately think it's smaller than you thought it would be. Prepare yourself for that.

Good luck!

Finally, it's very common to walk into an empty condo of which you have been staring at floorplans for months - or years - and immediately think it's smaller than you thought it would be. Prepare yourself for that.

That's a good point. Fortunately, the condo unit is always bigger than the drawing.

Our drawings were on legal-sized paper and the unit still looked small first time in it ;). Once the furniture went in, it was a lot better.

A floorplan is not a legal document, the Purchase & Sale document contains legalities. In my experience most condos come out just a bit smaller than the measurements shown on the floorplan, but I'm talking about inches here. One development I bought into showed renderings and advertised features which never materialized. After the building was turned over from the developer the Board learned pictures & features in sales brochure, websites etc. don't hold water, it's all about the purchase & sale agreement.

I know this is an old thread and I could have just started a new one, I suppose. But curious if anyone finds value in bringing a home inspector in on a PDI of a new condo. Mine will be scheduled very soon and I have heard that it is a good idea to do so.

I know this is an old thread and I could have just started a new one, I suppose. But curious if anyone finds value in bringing a home inspector in on a PDI of a new condo. Mine will be scheduled very soon and I have heard that it is a good idea to do so.

I am in a similar situation and am debating the same. I do not have any experience in such and dont have many acquaintance that can help. Would it be easy to miss some fine details easily if you are a rookie at this ? Also how much is an average cost for a experienced home inspector for the session.

I am in a similar situation and am debating the same. I do not have any experience in such and dont have many acquaintance that can help. Would it be easy to miss some fine details easily if you are a rookie at this ? Also how much is an average cost for a experienced home inspector for the session.

I used a guy for my first condo purchase and was glad I did. Our place was about 600sq ft and he charged us $100. He picked up on things I would never have looked for, both big and small:

- an unfinished/uneven drain under my AC unit which would have allowed condensation to leak all over my floor (as I moved in January I would not have noticed til 6 months later)
- missing stoppers from all the sinks
- one electrical outlet wasn't working
- a missing stopper on the patio door allowed the door handle to actually make contact with the floor-to-ceiling window when the door was open all the way. A gust of wind at the wrong time and I could have kissed my window goodbye

...stuff like that. I mainly used an inspector because it was my first purchase. Honestly, though, at the very least have somebody with you who has no emotional connection to the unit (didn't buy it, won't be living there). They will be less likely to be distracted by all the shiny new stuff. Take a night-light to check the outlets all have power, turn on the taps and make sure you have hot water, open every cupboard and window and door, double-check that the washer/dryer is hooked up... and enjoy it!

Back