8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

simply Dan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here are two new renderings of the future Berlin-Brandenburg International Airport, currently under construction. I've never seem so many pedestrians rendered outdoors at a major airport!

BBIAirportCityGesamtperspektive_alternative.jpg

BBIAirportCityPlaza_alternative.jpg

Certainly reminiscent of Berlin's Tempelhof airport, which also has the plaza in front and seems to allow you to walk right up to the terminal at street level.

Even the buildings that line the plaza look a little like they're from the Nazi period...

Strange how they still want to let cars up to the terminal buildings even though people have rammed car bombs into Glasgow airport and it could happen anywhere.:confused:

Certainly reminiscent of Berlin's Tempelhof airport, which also has the plaza in front and seems to allow you to walk right up to the terminal at street level.

Even the buildings that line the plaza look a little like they're from the Nazi period...

An aside, but I think they remind you of Nazi period architecture because they are in Germany. If these buildings were built anywhere else, that analogy would not come up so readily.

My personal reaction to the design is that they remind me of the office buildings along the Unter den Linden and, to a lesser extent, stuff designed by KPMB right here in Canada.

An aside, but I think they remind you of Nazi period architecture because they are in Germany. If these buildings were built anywhere else, that analogy would not come up so readily.

Maybe, but there are some Nazi-era buildings that do bear some resemblance to those office buildings on the plaza, with the simple facade and the cut-out windows.

300px-PICT4255.JPG

Reich Air Ministry Building (1936)

My personal reaction to the design is that they remind me of the office buildings along the Unter den Linden and, to a lesser extent, stuff designed by KPMB right here in Canada.

Agreed... very typical Berlin architecture of today. Those buildings would indeed very easily fit into the Toronto landscape without anybody saying they look facist.

It might be best to regard it as "Schinkelesque" than specifically Nazi.

Though it isn't to say that this vernacular (esp. as championed by Hans Stimman in the 1990s) hasn't been locally controversial, and indeed for reflecting a contemporary sort of archi-urban "reactionary conservatism"--albeit more in a Krier/Duany/Plater-Zyberk sense...

And though it does look good, I expected more of a spectacle given Berlin's post-1989 architectural renaissance.

What's with all the references to the Nazis?

Completely agree..

New Berlin airport comes in from the cold

BERLIN, Nov 14 (Reuters) - A giant landscape of mud and meadows that will become Berlin's new international airport was revealed to the public on Wednesday with the unveiling of a visitors' tower in one of Europe's largest construction sites.

The 2-billion euro ($2.9 billion) airport, to open in 2011, will replace three small airports that serviced Berlin through the Cold War, and belatedly give an economic lift to a city still struggling with the after-effects of postwar division.

Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit, who dedicated the lonely windswept tower, told Reuters the new airport should be named after former West German Chancellor Willy Brandt.

Wowereit said the airport, which was on the drawing board for 17 years after the Berlin Wall fell until work started in 2006, would be an urgently needed catalyst for business activity and tourism in Germany's largest city.

"I think it's a good idea to name the airport after Willy Brandt," he added.

Nobel Peace Prize lauerate Brandt was West Germany's first Social Democratic chancellor and the popular mayor of West Berlin when East Germany's communist authorities in 1961 built the Wall that divided the city for the next three decades.

"There's a lot of support in the public for that, as we've seen in opinion polls," said Wowereit, also a Social Democrat. "We'll make a board decision when the time comes."

TOWER

The 32-metre high "info tower" offers a panorama of the largest infrastructure project in eastern Germany, over an area equal to 2,000 soccer pitches that will be transformed into the first new airport to be built in Europe in nearly two decades.

From the platform can already be seen a deep crevice for a new intercity railway station.

The airport is expected to create up to 70,000 jobs in Berlin and the Brandenburg region. It is also expected to help Berlin compete with wealthier Frankfurt and Munich, much smaller metropolitan areas with far larger airports.

The new airport in the southeast corner of Berlin will be triple the size of the current Schoenefeld airport and located about two kilometres (a mile) south of communist East Berlin's old airport.

Tegel in the west -- Berlin's main airport, bursting at its seams -- and Tempelhof in the city centre will be shut down in 2011. The three airports now handle 18 million passengers per year. The new airport will cope with 25 to 40 million.

Construction began without much fanfare in September 2006 -- after finally winning court rulings and two small towns and their 350 inhabitants were relocated. But work has so far gone largely unnoticed.

That changed with the opening of the "info tower", which officials hope will become a tourist magnet for hundreds of thousands of visitors, as did the "info box" at Berlin's Potsdamer Platz construction site in the early 1990s.

"All those sceptics can now see for themselves that we're no longer in the planning phase but building," Wowereit said.

bbi2c.jpg

Back