News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That's quite possible, yet I still find it easy as hell to get around the GTA by Go, in the least convenient off-peak hours. Every single person going downtown should currently be taking the Go train. And considering that Go's currently at it's earliest stages as a regional transit provider, a basis of "everyone going downtown" isn't bad. Go has tonnes of space to improve, but it has serious and obvious advantages over cars even now.

But it is far more limiting in terms of freedom and flexibility....so that is probably what he means......maybe an example would make my point....I live an hour (+/-) by car or GO from my office.....I can't always predict when I can leave (never really)....if I finish work/meetings at 7:05 and the last train or bus left 5 minutes ago and the next one is 55 minutes from now.....I could be within 5 minutes of home before that next GO leaves the station....so, inherently, the GO is swimming upstream in terms of convenience/freedom/flexibility....that is an extreme example but the fact the bus/train leaves on schedule makes the car more flexible (even without factoring in that I can stop along the way and do the other things that life demands of me (shop and stuff like that).

I sometimes use GO....when I talk to people who never use it, this is probably the most frequent reason I hear.

I have to confess that while I use TTC by choice; I certainly wouldn't use it very often to go to work if the bus only came once an hour! Really we need GO at 4 trains per hour minimum all day for many of the routes. That's when it starts turning into a real network.

Though I do realize these forums skew from the norm. I much prefer to have the freedom to go where I want when I want with my car.
The only time I prefer the TTC is when I'm going downtown otherwise it's fairly usless.

Normal is to do without a car.
Normal is also without subways and buses and bikes.

But it is far more limiting in terms of freedom and flexibility....so that is probably what he means......maybe an example would make my point....I live an hour (+/-) by car or GO from my office.....I can't always predict when I can leave (never really)....if I finish work/meetings at 7:05 and the last train or bus left 5 minutes ago and the next one is 55 minutes from now.....I could be within 5 minutes of home before that next GO leaves the station....so, inherently, the GO is swimming upstream in terms of convenience/freedom/flexibility....that is an extreme example but the fact the bus/train leaves on schedule makes the car more flexible (even without factoring in that I can stop along the way and do the other things that life demands of me (shop and stuff like that).

I sometimes use GO....when I talk to people who never use it, this is probably the most frequent reason I hear.

Brampton bound buses leave Union at 7:15, 7:30, 7:45, 8:05, 8:25, 8:45.... Perhaps not attractive enough to lure you from your car, but certainly not terrible.

Improved public transit is critical for the transit-captive poor who are car-deprived.

However, I would wager even they would prefer to get around in their own vehicles — unless they live and work near a subway line.

Public transit is critical for the health and prosperity of the city. If everyone could afford a fancy car, our traffic problems would be even worse. People want to do lots of things that we decide collectively to restrict if it's for the greater good. Promoting alternative forms of transportation is an example of this.

Maybe cars should be radically downsized, as well as less expensive and more environmentally friendly.

Yes and yes.

Short of that fantasy or building subways everywhere, what else can be done?

Define everywhere. Why is it a fantasy to build a more complete network of subways? More a fantasy than building a network of expressways was way back when?

Hard-core cyclists and some of their snide supporters must fantasize about their own network of bicycle paths that would rival the road network — not a bad goal if approached in a sensible fashion.

I would (sadly) settle for a network of bicycle paths that is a small fraction of the road network (for now). In case he hasn't noticed, the road network is pretty darn complete.

I’ve even seen cyclists at 6 a.m. flying down sidewalks while decked out in helmets!

I'm getting tired of the "there are some crazy cyclists so they are all bad" arguments. Drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, TTC drivers, yes there are really bad examples of each. I HATE when cyclists ride on sidewalks, but can totally understand that they do not feel safe on the roads.

No matter how grandiose their fantasies, it doesn’t justify bike lanes on major arterials. It also doesn’t excuse the dismissive arrogance toward taxpayers with opposing views at public venues.

This article promotes subways to make room for cars and cyclists, but then argues against bike lanes on major arterials. Am I misunderstanding the term "major arterial"? Would Jarvis qualify? Or University? Where else would subways be built, under St. George or Harbord?

As for the University Ave. pilot: Mothball it!

We don’t need another pilot. We have dozens of them every spring, summer and fall. They’re known as lane closures for road repairs.

Competent professionals can measure the delays and extrapolate them to lane removals for potential bike lanes. Then they’ll have the required metrics for an informed debate.

This is car-centric. I don't think the point is just to measure the impact on drivers, but also how much uptake the actual bike lanes have by cyclists. Then we need to weigh the two against each other.

Toronto is not, and not likely to be, a bicycle town.

What does this even mean? Fact: people do cycle in this city, and reports are that the number of cyclists is growing. Yes, fewer people ride in the winter, and yes, people living in the outer reaches of the city are less likely to cycle to downtown jobs, but I see lots of people riding, so people constantly saying that this isn't a biking town is pointless. People do ride and deserve safe infrastructure to do so.

And, removing just 10% of the cars from the roads will have a measurable visible impact.

Yes indeed, and promoting cycling will contribute to (no, not deliver completely) this reduction. Expanding public transit as well. Let's do it!

Brampton bound buses leave Union at 7:15, 7:30, 7:45, 8:05, 8:25, 8:45.... Perhaps not attractive enough to lure you from your car, but certainly not terrible.

Yes the new schedule does reduce the number of times there is an hour between services on my line (that is why I noted in my example it is an extreme case but used to show the maximum extent to the car flexibility/freedom argument....which was not my argument but some were mocking it as if just weren't real)....that said, the one that I usually get caught on is if I do take the train it is usually cause I want to be on the 5:45......miss it and you are waiting for the 6:45...so, even with the new schedule, it happens.

There are still tonnes of problems with Go, but the way that I see it, there's still a huge incentive to use Go and transit (and biking, but that's a bit different.)

Why would someone use a car to go to a gym to get on a bicycle that does not go anywhere? They could have gone on a bicycle and actually go from place to place.

Sitting in a car just causes obesity. Better to use a walk to and from transit as part of your daily exercise.

Back