8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have always been a proponent of supporting northern development, and am a big supporter of the Mid-Canada Corridor proposal.

Anywho, I figured I’d post a thread about this since the need for a new east-west highway across our north is more important now than ever after the Fort McMurray fire and just in general with a warming world and greater need for northern economic development.

I remember premier Notley being a big proponent of funding a new highway out of Fort Mac, but I haven’t seen any movement on it from the UCP. Of course we are in unprecedented times financially, but I believe this could be a great province-building initiative, since everyone remembers the horrific scenes from the fire, and the devastation afterward.

As I’ve always said, we’ve got to spend money to make money, and I think that’s where Alberta’s constant austerity has been a big detriment to us achieving our true potential. We have the most heavily settled north of any province in the nation, but we don’t have the infrastructure to match it. It’s time to change that.

Essentially, as a first phase I would propose a highway west from Fort Mac to Chipewyan Lake, to Peerless Lake, then connecting to the 986 at Loon Lake and on to Peace River.

Any other ideas or proposals

Back