News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...ncy-among-white-and-black-americans-poll-find

Interesting poll about vaccines in the US. There is a link in the article to the data (the poll was also Biden and congress), which has many more categories based on age, region, politics, gender, etc. But something that stands out - 49% of Republican men will NOT get vaccinated vs 6% of Democrat men. 49% is the highest of the categories and sub-categories and 6% the lowest.

Apparently, someone recognized that cutting bus services did not mitigate public health risks after all.

1615579031118.png

The rate of blood clotting problems suggests this was just a coincidence, as if people were forgetting that there is a wide variety of ways anyone of us can croak at any time.

i 'd be cautious about getting AstraZeneca vaccine. It has been a mess since the start ( people over 65 shouldn't even get it) Now more countires have put the vaccine on hold. I'm all for everyone getting vaccinated, but I want everyone to be safe in doing so as well, it may be worth waiting for Moderna, Pfizer or J&J vaccines. Canada needs to take a pause on the AstraZeneca till we have more research.

Herd mentality fed by media. There is little to no medical reason to stock up on things like TP, but fears are being spread that it will become so bad that entire manufacturing , supply chains and infrastructure will be disrupted by the illness; hence, people stocking up on water fearing their municipal water system will fail for lack of personnel. Dedicated preppers are giddy with 'told ya so'.

I think part of it is also some form of strange human nature, like when they show images of stores sold out of snow shovels just before a major storm - in areas where snow is no stranger. I want to ask 'what do you do with the last shovel you bought'?

Not just regular media - but social media. Images of bare shelves anywhere induces the urge to stock up - and the feeling that if they don't do so now, they may not have a chance to do so. It's a perverse side effect of better be safe than sorry.

AoD
Everyone: One year ago today - The anniversary of that dreaded "Friday the 13th" when the thinking by some was a breakdown of society by a disease
that many of us knew little or nothing about back then. I always wondered why products such as toilet paper were targeted for mass hoarding...

The two posts that I am bringing up were from one year ago (Page 36 of this topic) and answers my question to some extent why this happened.
Lenaitch and AoD replied to a question from Full Metal Junkie "Can anyone explain why people are stocking up on toilet paper?"

I think there was plenty of blame to go around - and the fear factor to the extreme was perhaps the biggest reason for the panic we experienced.

There is no doubt in my mind that social media - along with the mainstream media - played a huge role in these problems.

I noticed and now remember extreme examples of greed such as the person that bought up all of the hand thermometers at a Costco(?)
and then even had the audacity to sell them at a high price still in the store waiting in line - or buying up hygiene products and related items
to try and sell them at outrageous prices on Ebay and on other related sites...The crackdown on the offenders was poetic justice to me.

So much has happened in the past year due to what would become a pandemic.
No one saw the long-term closure of the US-Canada border to travelers which was a prime example.
Depending on where you were in the US the response to the virus varied from proactive to pathetic.

I read multiple pages of this topic recently starting from the beginning to remember how the pandemic began from the UT point of view.
This has been a good read thanks to all of the contributors here at UT. Let's all hope for the best going forward for the rest of this year.
The way I felt about 2020 was "Goodbye - Good Riddance - Hope the door hits you in the tush" (I can think of stronger words...)
Long Island Mike

Last edited:
i 'd be cautious about getting AstraZeneca vaccine. It has been a mess since the start ( people over 65 shouldn't even get it) Now more countires have put the vaccine on hold. I'm all for everyone getting vaccinated, but I want everyone to be safe in doing so as well, it may be worth waiting for Moderna, Pfizer or J&J vaccines. Canada needs to take a pause on the AstraZeneca till we have more research.
I wouldn't be cautious at all because there is an enormous body of research that it is extremely effective, and developing proof in the millions who have it. Even if people for some unfathomable reason don't believe that evidence is of any value, or lack the basic understanding of how vaccines work, the important part is taking one vaccine does not at all stop you from getting a different vaccine later, and it seems increasingly likely we will have to get multiple rounds of vaccines for this virus over the years. Getting anything immediately is better than waiting for something later.

You can get all the vaccines if you want, probably by the end of this year, these are a profit making enterprise after all, and I won't be surprised if there is a soon a culture shift and "get them all" is not only encouraged, but we start hearing about people who pay extra to do just that. People will go on vacation to Russia to add the Sputnik one to their collection too. Nothing is preventing that. However, again, choosing to not take a vaccine that is available immediately to have a different first shot later is actually the worst possible option you can pick.

EDIT: As I said about two weeks ago in here, people are over-thinking this based on being inundated with cheap numbers journalism that has very little correlation to helpful decision making for an average person. It's just infotainment. Turn it off and instead just get a damn vaccine as soon as you can; whichever one you can. That is a clear optimal choice for both you and everyone else. That's all you need you to pay attention to at all right now. Zero other media overage actually is relevant.

Last edited:

I think that's what my business partner has decided to do. Also, the government has had such a messaging mess over eligibility that some pharmacies are unclear about the criteria and are refusing to provide the vaccine to some people who are eligible.

All states except Liberal-governed New South Wales have been incredibly quick to lock-up-shop each time an outbreak happens in another state (except for two that just happened in past 48 hours in Brisbane and Sydney - hotel quarantine-related, one of them had had their first dose of the pfizer vaccine a few days before exposure). Western Australia used it the most, NSW only shut down during the major second wave here in Vic June-October last year.

Pre-COVID, Mark McGowan (WA premier, Labor) handed the Liberals a pasting in 2017 and they were on a downward spiral regardless of the strong-man tactics of the WA gov's COVID approach. Queensland's Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk (Labor) was returned emphatically last year as well.

I fully expect SA, NSW and TAS (all Liberal) will be returned as well. 2020 and the second wave of June-October reminded Australians it's the states that keep things going and the level of government we have the most interaction with - and that Federal politics is somewhat distant and full of flogs.

(btw Liberal in AU context: centre-right like your PC party).

Back