News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I had that happen once pre-covid. I was the only person in the theatre for an Al Gore climate documentary.

30ED6E0E-BAB9-4E28-A06D-9028A66AD256.jpeg

The Ontario government vaccine verification app goes live tomorrow. There is a pre-release version you can download now from app stores, it's called "Verify Ontario", though it's setup only for the business side to use right now so they can test and experiment with it. The public side will be pushed out as an update tomorrow morning. At the same time, vaccine receipts on the government website will be updated and available with a QR code to use with the app. The app will accept receipts from Quebec and BC, but it will note to the business that you are from out of province. It will accept other provinces and US states as well, but it will note to the scanner those are "unverified" and simply display a visual of the receipt.

Last edited:
UPDATE: The QR code receipts will instead be released over three days, starting today, split by birth month. Jan-Apr are available today, May-Aug starting Saturday, and Sep-Dec starting Sunday. This is to prevent taxing the servers with too many simultaneous downloads. The consumer side of the app will launch next week after that roll out.

UPDATE: The QR code receipts will instead be released over three days, starting today, split by birth month. Jan-Apr are available today, May-Aug starting Saturday, and Sep-Dec starting Sunday. This is to prevent taxing the servers with too many simultaneous downloads. The consumer side of the app will launch next week after that roll out.
Just downloaded my QR code and successfully scanned it using the verification app! Thanks for the tip.

A former colleague of mine called today out of the blue, asking me if I knew of any job leads. I asked her what happened, has she lost her job? She replied she’s received a notice of termination effective Oct 31st unless she’s vaccinated. I then asked incredulously, why aren’t you vaccinated? ... that her parents ...
Some people just lack common sense, and there's really no helping them. She deserves to lose her job if she's that stubborn about being stupid.
I'm not sure how common this really is, but twice now I've had someone mention to me that they strongly suspect that some are being pressured by their anti-vaxxer ("vaccine hesitant"?, "disease enthusiast"? -- not sure what the most appropriate term would be anymore) husbands or fathers to not get vaccinated.
Yes. People were checked at the door.
If you are going to something, particularly a big event, make sure you get there much earlier than you would have previously. It was taking more than half an hour for many to get into the Canada/Panama soccer match on Wednesday night, although it probably didn't help that it was a late decision just a few days ahead of time to allow full capacity instead of half, and also that an MLSE-operated venue may have had trouble finding enough staff with the Leafs/Montreal hockey game at ScotiaBank Arena on the same night.

It seems the announced return to full capacity along with the U.S. re-opening land crossings might have led to the entertainment venues now being able to schedule more shows. But apparently it might take some time for many of the bigger music acts, as these have to be scheduled many months in advance and they've been sticking to the U.S. so far because of all the uncertainty. It might be a little easier for comedians (Ricky Gervais, Bill Burr, Brent Butt, etc.) to confirm new shows.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how common this really is, but twice now I've had someone mention to me that they strongly suspect that some are being pressured by their anti-vaxxer ("vaccine hesitant"?, "disease enthusiast"? -- not sure what the most appropriate term would be anymore) husbands or fathers to not get vaccinated.
The irony of "free thinkers" forcing others to listen to them should just proves how lacking in self-awareness the anti- crowd is.
If you are going to something, particularly a big event, make sure you get there much earlier than you would have previously. It was taking more than half an hour for many to get into the Canada/Panama soccer match on Wednesday night, although it probably didn't help that it was a late decision just a few days ahead of time to allow full capacity instead of half, and also that an MLSE-operated venue may have had trouble finding enough staff with the Leafs/Montreal hockey game at ScotiaBank Arena on the same night.
Personally, still going to avoid big indoor venues for a while. When we hit daily single-digit case increases, maybe.
It seems the announced return to full capacity along with the U.S. re-opening land crossings might have led to the entertainment venues now being able to schedule more shows. But apparently it might take some time for many of the bigger music acts, as these have to be scheduled many months in advance and they've been sticking to the U.S. so far because of all the uncertainty. It might be a little easier for comedians (Ricky Gervais, Bill Burr, Brent Butt, etc.) to confirm new shows.
It's more a logistical thing, especially with custom stages, lighting, audio, etc. It's not unheard of for a large band to have a hundred or more transport trucks to haul all that equipment. For a tour where you want to cram in as many dates in as short a time as possible (often foreign bands), that equipment will sometimes be separated into two or more different crews, who cover staggered tour dates so that equipment arrives and can be set up on time. Once everything's set up, they still need to be inspected both structurally and electrically, tested, etc. On top of it all, the hundreds of people involved all need to have the proper cross-border work permits, and be available for the time needed (roadies often work with different bands).

If you can get a big scale tour going in less than 2-3 months, you'd be a god.

Most comedians however, don't need much more than a microphone and stool, and will use existing sound/lighting equipment or hire a local production company for the gig.

I have come to the conclusion that the anti crowd are not team players. They only care about their individual “rights” and not about the rights and safety of society as a whole. They are closed minded and selfish, despite their protestations to the contrary

Last edited:
Can we have two or more people's vaccine certificates/passports (family members?) on one smartphone?

Last edited:
Finally got it; for Apple, it goes into your Health app.

The temporary, volunteer driven solution was better -- it went into the wallet, was cleaner and easier to access. On the Health app, you have to go through a couple of steps for the QR code to display. And you have to have iOS15 installed.

Last edited:

Back