News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

My Franco Ontarians don’t know it either. It is a legitimate word but appears to be used in France rather than Ontario. Trained translators or communication people should know that.

Government translation services (Ministry of Government and Consumer Services) are bound by the linguistic rules established for them (and no, I don't know what they are). Interestingly, I found this thread on this very topic, particularly post #5:

My Franco Ontarians don’t know it either. It is a legitimate word but appears to be used in France rather than Ontario. Trained translators or communication people should know that.

Well, I'm a translator. Reçu is more financial in meaning than récépissé. As to the fact that some people don't understand what it means... it is never good policy to assume people are ignorant. If you don't know what it means, you will find a definition online in a second.

But the real issue is that "receipt" is incorrect to begin with. In French, we should be using "attestation/confirmation/certificat de vaccination"

... "...while the current vaccine receipt without a QR code remains valid and will continue to be accepted, the province is encouraging individuals to download their enhanced vaccine certificate with a QR code as an easier, more secure and convenient way to have their proof of vaccination verified."
This seems to defeat the purpose of the QR code...
"You will need to continue to show a piece of identification with your name and date of birth along with your proof of vaccination when visiting select businesses and organizations."
From what I can see, the only purpose for the QR code is that most people will be able to now display it on their phone instead of carrying around the printed vaccine receipt. And I suppose it would be more difficult to print a faked one, but as you point out, that would only be useful if the old vaccine receipts were declared to now be invalid.

"You will need to continue to show a piece of identification with your name and date of birth along with your proof of vaccination when visiting select businesses and organizations."
From what I can see, the only purpose for the QR code is that most people will be able to now display it on their phone instead of carrying around the printed vaccine receipt. And I suppose it would be more difficult to print a faked one, but as you point out, that would only be useful if the old vaccine receipts were declared to now be invalid.
I hope for my parents' (and other old peoples') sakes that the non-QR receipts continue to be accepted for a while. My parents got theirs printed and laminated quite nicely at the Hamilton Public Library. Would be a pain to have to go through all of that again.

The receipts with QR can be better verified though, so if fraudulent use of the non-QR ones becomes an issue, they may have to move forward...

Well, I'm a translator. Reçu is more financial in meaning than récépissé. As to the fact that some people don't understand what it means... it is never good policy to assume people are ignorant. If you don't know what it means, you will find a definition online in a second.

But the real issue is that "receipt" is incorrect to begin with. In French, we should be using "attestation/confirmation/certificat de vaccination"
I am also a trained translator, although I no longer work in the field. I was not assuming ignorance. It took me very little time to research the word and realize it was an odd choice in this situation. I was actually more assuming that this government would be too cheap to pay for actual translators and would instead rely on Google translate or something similar.

Reactions: vic
I am also a trained translator, although I no longer work in the field. I was not assuming ignorance. It took me very little time to research the word and realize it was an odd choice in this situation. I was actually more assuming that this government would be too cheap to pay for actual translators and would instead rely on Google translate or something similar.
I work for the Ontario government a lot, and I can assure you that they use professional translators. I was thinking of an Ottawa health care organization I used to work for who instructed us to write essentially at an elementary school level (which is next to impossible with medical documents!).

Great, that just makes me less likely to eat out for the moment - especially with winter coming when open ventilation isn't a remote possibility.

AoD
My thought exactly, especially after what I read yesterday on Eric Topol's Twitter feed...

Topol2.jpg
topol1.jpg

Great, that just makes me less likely to eat out for the moment - especially with winter coming when open ventilation isn't a remote possibility.

AoD

I admit that despite being fully vaccinated, the thought of sitting in a packed restaurant or bar without open windows certainly gives me some pause.

I admit that despite being fully vaccinated, the thought of sitting in a packed restaurant or bar without open windows certainly gives me some pause.

Same, I have done it twice so far but I am a lot more hesitant when physical distancing and ventilation gets thrown out the window. I do empathize with restaurant operators though, but it's just not for me.

AoD

Back