News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Lots happening now.

• The Sun is reporting sporting events in Ontario (Leafs/Raptors/Senators/OHL/AHL etc...) will be cut to 50% capacity.
  • UofT is about to announce all activities will return to online only starting sometime very soon--possibly tomorrow--and will continue through January 30
  • Whispers in elementary and high schools of an imminent announcement the holiday break will start early and they will not reopen for in-person learning until late January

Last edited:
Lots happening now.

• The Sun is reporting sporting events in Ontario (Leafs/Raptors/Senators/OHL/AHL etc...) will be cut to 50% capacity.
  • UofT is about to announce all activities will return to online only starting sometime very soon--possibly tomorrow--and will continue through January 30
  • Whispers in elementary and high schools of an imminent announcement the holiday break will start early and they will not reopen for in-person learning until late January
Every public place where masks are removed should be heavily restricted. If omicron doubles every day and has a reproduction number of 4, it will get much worse in a very short time.

All people 18+ eligible for a booster starting on Monday. The delay between second and third dose is reduced to 3 months. A few restrictions in venues with a capacity of 1,000 or more, but they are insisting on boosters, which is most likely insufficient at this point. By the time everyone eligible gets their booster, omicron will have been dominant for a while. People have to reduce their contacts.

They are offering free rapid tests at the LCBO?

I guess you can call that the "baker getting sauced before going down with the ship" tinge.
Apparently they are :rolleyes:

AoD
What other part of the government has a supply chain like the LCBO though? Like, I realise it seems funny on the surface, but it's a government-owned retail network with experience in moving large quantities of pallets of stock around. There probably isn't anything that could deploy rapid tests faster, save for selling them to a private company like Loblaws who would never give them out for free. Yes the government should have a plan before now, but they are useless and they didn't, and realistically, the LCBO is the only thing that can deploy tests this quickly.

Also, there's lots of people who wouldn't go out looking for rapid tests, but they will go to the LCBO in the next week, and if they pick up a test when they are there, that's a success. Ideally we should expand the rollout beyond the LCBO, but it's a surprisingly decent first step.

What other part of the government has a supply chain like the LCBO though? Like, I realise it seems funny on the surface, but it's a government-owned retail network with experience in moving large quantities of pallets of stock around. There probably isn't anything that could deploy rapid tests faster, save for selling them to a private company like Loblaws who would never give them out for free. Yes the government should have a plan before now, but they are useless and they didn't, and realistically, the LCBO is the only thing that can deploy tests this quickly.

Also, there's lots of people who wouldn't go out looking for rapid tests, but they will go to the LCBO in the next week, and if they pick up a test when they are there, that's a success. Ideally we should expand the rollout beyond the LCBO, but it's a surprisingly decent first step.
It's large, but it has limitations which really show when you try to go to one outside of Toronto. Even the older GTA cities have extremely car-centric LCBO locations spread very far apart. My parents live in the old City of Hamilton and the nearest LCBO is a significant drive away, at least 12 minutes in the car, so it's a commitment to go there unlike here in Tornoto where I pass 4 LCBOs on my 10 minute streetcar commute home. There's lots of grocery stores and Drug Stores in between though, and most of those open earlier and close later than any LCBO location. Out in the outer suburbs they build mega LCBO's that cover a 5 km radius around them. Not sure it's great to go to a store packed with 80 customers to pick up a test to see if you have COVID as you have a decent chance of picking it up while you are there.

Alternative point of view on all of this, from the perspective of a "kid" who's still in school. (Albiet university)

I'm worried about covid but online absolutely #@&^.*! sucks. Mental health is incredibly important here too, and even if you "adapt" to this new environment it doesn't mean your mental health magically accepts it or says this is fine.

A little over a year ago my 15 year old brother killed himself, and at this point that seems like a great option for me too (note: I am fine, am in no danger, I have help and support around as well as a therapist) but I also don't think I should sugar coat just how horrible this entire saga has been on mental health. I'm about to lose the few things that actually give me a reason to be motivated and keep on going, yet again.

I also know I'm not the only person among my peers who feels this way. Even if suicides are surprisingly down over the pandemic I have never seen more young people so hopeless, sad, and at the point of giving up.

At this point vaccines hardly seem effective at preventing breakthrough cases, even with 3 doses (see calgary flames) I have no idea what the answer is but I'm losing hope and desire to keep persevering rapidly.

Alternative point of view on all of this, from the perspective of a "kid" who's still in school. (Albiet university)

I'm worried about covid but online absolutely #@&^.*! sucks. Mental health is incredibly important here too, and even if you "adapt" to this new environment it doesn't mean your mental health magically accepts it or says this is fine.

A little over a year ago my 15 year old brother killed himself, and at this point that seems like a great option for me too (note: I am fine, am in no danger, I have help and support around as well as a therapist) but I also don't think I should sugar coat just how horrible this entire saga has been on mental health. I'm about to lose the few things that actually give me a reason to be motivated and keep on going, yet again.

I also know I'm not the only person among my peers who feels this way. Even if suicides are surprisingly down over the pandemic I have never seen more young people so hopeless, sad, and at the point of giving up.

At this point vaccines hardly seem effective at preventing breakthrough cases, even with 3 doses (see calgary flames) I have no idea what the answer is but I'm losing hope and desire to keep persevering rapidly.

This province and country needs an army of mental health workers. Mental health services (counselling and psychotherapy) should be 100% covered by OHIP for all Ontarians. Having a therapist is great and sure helped me. But a lot of people either can't afford it or don't have benefit plans to cover the fee. And the suffer without help. That's needs to change! I too have lost many amazing people to suicides. It's one of the hardest thing to go through.

It's not just kids suffering, work from home is doing a number on people's mental health too. I actually know a few people who have become alcoholics because they are stuck at home so much. It's taking a toll on everyone. Young and old.

I know substance-abuse overdose deaths are way up. A lot of those could be counted as suicides? Not sure if they are or not.

My parents live in the old City of Hamilton...

If Dundurn Castle is closer, they can pick up a testing kit today (Thursday) from 9am - 4:30pm.
List of non-LCBO locations announced so far:

I know substance-abuse overdose deaths are way up. A lot of those could be counted as suicides? Not sure if they are or not.
No these do not count as suicides though I know of 4 overdoses personally since the start of this and all of them probably were.

Back