News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There is nothing damning about it - it is referring to protection against infection, not protection against severe illness/death.

AoD
Was about to state that it doesn't measure severity. It's everything from asymptomatic down to death.

Should the data survive fulsome peer-review, this would make these among the least effective vaccines ever pushed into mass circulation.

We're still working with a vaccine designed to fight Alpha. Omicron is many mutations away from that. It's like asking why the chicken pox vaccine doesn't stop genital herpes.

We're still working with a vaccine designed to fight Alpha. Omicron is many mutations away from that. It's like asking why the chicken pox vaccine doesn't stop genital herpes.

Actually..........no, its not at all like that.

The applicable science does not align w/your statement.

Exactly - and frankly it is perfectly acceptable to see this initial wave of vaccination as priming the population against future severe disease. Just because a vaccine cannot produce a durable prevention of infection against each and every strain doesn't mean it is a failure.

AoD
Every virus was "novel" at some point and killed many.

Actually..........no, its not at all like that.

The applicable science does not align w/your statement.
How so? Herpes Simplex is related to Varicella Zoster, being both members of the Herpesviridae family. Much, much smaller rate of mutation than Coronaviruses.

How so? Herpes Simplex is related to Varicella Zoster, being both members of the Herpesviridae family. Much, much smaller rate of mutation than Coronaviruses.

It is also one reason why we had such huge difficulties creating an effective vaccine against HIV - and this case, we can't even arouse a durable immune response to prevent the progression of the disease to death, nevermind prevention of infection.

AoD

It is also one reason why we had such huge difficulties creating an effective vaccine against HIV - and this case, we can't even arouse a durable immune response to prevent the progression of the disease to death, nevermind prevention of infection.

AoD
And why the protein-level specific targeting with mRNA vaccines gives hope.

just yesterday:

And why the protein-level specific targeting with mRNA vaccines gives hope.

just yesterday:

We shall see (animal analogues are never quite the same thing)- it's ironic because PrEP has turned out to be a more effective tool than vaccines in this case so far.

AoD

We shall see (animal analogues are never quite the same thing)- it's ironic because PrEP has turned out to be a more effective tool than vaccines in this case so far.

AoD
Fair enough. Life expectancy with HIV has been on par with the average for a while now. Still, prevention will always be a better option than treatment.

A good explanation of terms here:

To get deeper in the muck, you can examine this study of the comparative genomics of HHV

There aren't any good equivalents that I can see coming up on Covid yet.......

But the gist would be this, Covid-19 and its variants are all classed as a single disease; but all Corona Viruses are not.

Your correct analogy would be variants of Chicken Pox one to the other, not to a different Varicella entirely.

Otherwise we would have to be discussing a vaccine for ALL Corona viruses, not merely Covid-19.

Your correct analogy would be variants of Chicken Pox one to the other, not to a different Varicella entirely.

Otherwise we would have to be discussing a vaccine for ALL Corona viruses, not merely Covid-19.
But the naming is arbitrary and unrelated to actual genetic distance. By comparison, Covid-19 mutates about 8000x faster than HSV-1

But the naming is arbitrary and unrelated to actual genetic distance. By comparison, Covid-19 mutates about 8000x faster than HSV-1

Classification is not arbitrary.

Covid-19/SARS Cov-2 is essentially all still one disease, and in fact, one strain.

Conflating mutation with variant, strain and disease is not at all helpful.

Now, as I'm the only one providing scientific evidence.............I think this discussion has run its course.

I've never sat next to a fat person on a bus and caught fatness and then almost died a few days latter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
💡💡Obesity increases your chance of ending up in the hospital after getting covid, which costs tax payers more money and more strain on health care system , so tax the over weight people as well 🤣😂😅

💡💡Obesity increases your chance of ending up in the hospital after getting covid, which costs tax payers more money and more strain on health care system , so tax the over weight people as well 🤣😂😅

Yes, but you can't SPREAD obesity to others who don't want it and could get hospitalized from it. What you do to yourself, I don't care. When you expose others to hospitalizations, that is exactly what the tax is trying to prevent.

And yes there are taxes to mitigate obesity - See Sugar tax, Seattle (and many other places) - https://www.seattle.gov/license-and...ax/other-seattle-taxes/sweetened-beverage-tax

CT, NY, Hawaii, and Washington state also have sugar taxes. I don't know what other cities have it implemented.

Yes, but you can't SPREAD obesity to others who don't want it and could get hospitalized from it. What you do to yourself, I don't care. When you expose others to hospitalizations, that is exactly what the tax is trying to prevent.

And yes there are taxes to mitigate obesity - See Sugar tax, Seattle (and many other places) - https://www.seattle.gov/license-and...ax/other-seattle-taxes/sweetened-beverage-tax

CT, NY, Hawaii, and Washington state also have sugar taxes. I don't know what other cities have it implemented.
huh?? the vax doesn't stop u from spreading covid or getting it , it only stops you from getting really sick when u get covid so you lower your chance of ending up in a hospital icu unit

Back