News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

C

ceaz40

I was by here today at lunch and noticed that they are assembling the crane for the fourth tower of the Tridel project....it's in the 30's for the number of floors....sadly this is the site where the construction worker was killed yesterday when the wind blew his hardhat off and a pipe or something blew off of the building and hit him in the head.

Perhaps the building will be haunted when completed! Seriously, that is terrible about the guy.

It happens. I remember walking by King George Square when it was under construction and it was surrounded by police, fire and paramedics. A worker was crushed to death when they were excavating.

Those are issues for the WSIB, the respective unions, the labour board and many lawers involved to figure out.

I wasn't trying to be insensitive about this. I was just saying it doesn't get discussed much but it does happen.

I hope by "it happens" you don't mean to suggest that this is something we ought to just shrug about while we get on with our lives. No one should die at work. I'd like to know why exactly that fence came loose. Who installed it? Was it in good working order?

Those fence posts are supposed to be solid enough that if an average man (say, 200lbs) were to back into it or lean against it it should be able to hold them back. If a gust of wind was enough to take it down something else was clearly wrong with it.

It's truly a shame. The story in today's paper quoted another worker as saying that these safety fences had been loose for some time. Don't know how true that is, of course.

Apparently construction is now about to start on the fourth building in this complex. We could probably look forward to sales beginning sometime soon for the fifth and final building.

where is the 5th and final building going? I see the crane for the 4th but don't see the room for the 5th.

I believe the 3rd, 4th, and 5th towers of this project are to form the three sides of a U at the south end of the site.

slab-a-riffic 42

Off topic - but the Deltera project at the old Food Basics strip mall looks absolutely terrible - horrible massing with respect to the corner site, and a rather gross, dirty cold porridge/oatmeal brick colour. Yuck.

AoD

Alvino, I could not disagree with you more. I think this is a winner, especially the podium. Will do wonders for the streetscape.

Slab, I mean Interchange: Correct, I have a plan showing the layout of the entire site. Phase 5 will be east of Phase 3 at the west end of the site and 4 in the middle, adjacent to St. Alban's Road.

Not sure whether it will be "Nuvo 3", to follow 1 and 2, or whether we can look forward to a new name being coined.

I heard phase 5 maybe now two towers

Essex is just boring as hell but the blue glass on Nuvo is butt ugly

Nuvo 2 update:

Sept.1307022.jpg

Sept.1307023.jpg

Sept.1307027.jpg

Phase 5 will be built in the foreground.
Sept.1307020.jpg

Back