News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Continued from Part I.

Everyone ws screaming around us so I think these are some famous NFL players on the marquee of Radio City Music Hall.
DSCN2501.jpg

Then it was off to the MoMA for an afternoon of modern art.
DSCN2503.jpg

The courtyard features an installation by Richard Serra. He's the same artist who did the new "Titlted Spheres" piece at Toronto's Pearson Airport.
DSCN2505.jpg

View across the garden including the new MoMA building designed by Yoshio Taniguchi.
DSCN2506.jpg

MoMA's garden (cont.)
DSCN2507.jpg

Looking up to the 5th floor terrace.
DSCN2508.jpg

More of Richard Serra's "Intersection II."
DSCN2510.jpg

The new MoMA includes a residential tower. Also, Toronto's 9T6 project will have its internal courtyard "inspired" by the MoMA's
DSCN2511.jpg

Richard Serra's "Intersection II." (cont.)
DSCN2512.jpg

MoMA's garden (cont.)
DSCN2514.jpg

Arthur Young's Bell-47D1 helicopter.
DSCN2515.jpg

Henri Matisse's "Dance ."
DSCN2516.jpg

The MoMA garden from the 5th floor terrace.
DSCN2517.jpg

MoMA (cont.)
DSCN2518.jpg

Jackson Pollock's "One: Number 31."
DSCN2519.jpg

Andy Warhol's "Campbell's Soup Cans."
DSCN2520.jpg

MoMA (cont.)
DSCN2521.jpg

MoMA (cont.)
DSCN2522.jpg

Van Gogh's "The Starry Night."
DSCN2524.jpg

MoMA (cont.)
DSCN2525.jpg

MoMA (cont.)
DSCN2527.jpg

MoMA (cont.)
DSCN2528.jpg

MoMA (cont.)
DSCN2529.jpg

Widely considered Ludwig Mies Van der Rowe's most perfect building is NYC's Seagram Building.
DSCN2530.jpg

It was designed by Mies in collaboration with Philip Johnson and was completed in 1958. It is 156.9m tall.
DSCN2531.jpg

Seagram Building's plaza.
DSCN2532.jpg

Massive Midtown density flanks the Seagram Building.
DSCN2533.jpg

Midtown desnity (cont.)
DSCN2534.jpg

Seagram Building (cont.)
DSCN2536.jpg

Seagram Building (cont.)
DSCN2539.jpg

Seagram Building (cont.)
DSCN2540.jpg

Seagram Building (cont.)
DSCN2541.jpg

The new 52-story 7 World Trade Center begins office space on the 11th floor. The first ten floors house an electrical substation, which will power most of Lower Manhattan.
DSCN2548.jpg

The architect of 7 WTC was David Childs, of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill.
DSCN2549.jpg

Ground 0.
DSCN2551.jpg

Ground 0 and the beginnings of The Freedom Tower.
DSCN2552.jpg

Ground 0, Century 21 Department Store, Lower Manhattan, etc.
DSCN2553.jpg

Jersey City, NJ.
DSCN2554.jpg

More New Jersey from Battery Park City.
DSCN2555.jpg

World Financial Center.
DSCN2557.jpg

Statue of Liberty from Battery Park.
DSCN2558.jpg

Wow, this is about as bad as public art gets! I think the artist spent too long in a sandbox as a kid.
DSCN2559.jpg

Battery Park (cont.)
DSCN2560.jpg

Battery Park (cont.)
DSCN2561.jpg

Battery Park leading to the Museum of Jewish Heritage.
DSCN2562.jpg

Museum of Jewish Heritage.
DSCN2563.jpg

The 1904 Whitehall Building.
DSCN2564.jpg

West Street ("Joe DiMaggio Highway") features an extensive bike lane system.
DSCN2566.jpg

A pedestrian bridge over Joe DiMaggio Highway.
DSCN2568.jpg

Ground 0 and 7 WTC.
DSCN2569.jpg

NYC III is here.

Thanks for the pics... looking forward to part III. Wrt the MoMA, sorry, rust is not an attractive look.

I'm loving the garden @ MoMA.
Also, I like the setup of DiMaggio's 'highway', it's good how he emphasized bikes.
7 WTC looks great, too!

Must get to MoMa. Must get to MoMa.

Thanks for the inspiration!

I got to MoMA just after it reopened. We lined up to get in (it being very busy with the reopening and all the art-tourists for the Gates) on the vacant lot where the condo went in. Wonderful space they have.

West Street ("Joe DiMaggio Highway") features an extensive bike lane system.

West Street used to be the Westside Highway, New York's version of the Gardiner Expressway. They tore it down and replaced it with this. Who in their right mind wouldn't say this isn't better than the Gardiner?

Darkstar: Good NYC pix! I take it for granted sometimes since I live nearby but Manhattan is in a class by itself in some respects. The term Joe DiMaggio Highway was coined by former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani-a big Yankees fan. ED: Let me clarify that the West Side Highway were two different roadways-the WSH was a old elevated structure that was closed in the late 70s after a large truck literally fell thru it due to its extreme deteriation. West Street was at street level below-after the old structure was removed it was widened somewhat. The Gardiner in Toronto was built in the early 60s-and hopefully it never gets to the point where it has to be closed due to its condition. LI MIKE

The World Trade Center Memorial area artist rendering..

SD: This is the first good artist's renderings that I have seen that include the Freedom Tower and the new WTC memorial area construction. If it comes out this way,I feel that NYC would have much to be proud of! I now say stop the bickering and get on with the new construction-the end result will be well worth it in my opinion! LI MIKE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6752143.stm

BBC: Bank subsidy for Ground Zero move

A major US bank is reportedly getting a huge subsidy to relocate its offices near the World Trade Center site.

The New York Times reports that JP Morgan Chase will receive hundreds of millions of dollars to build a 42-story skyscraper in downtown Manhattan.

The deal follows threats by the company to move its headquarters to Connecticut from its location in mid-town New York.

New York City officials have already paid Goldman Sachs $650m (£330m) to build new offices in Battery Park City.

That deal was criticised at the time as most outrageous example of corporate welfare in city history, according to the New York Times.

But the paper says that JP Morgan Chase will receive an even better deal, with tax breaks, discounted electric power and rent subsidies worth $100m from city and state authorities.

And it says that rent subsidies will amount to $50m per year for 15 years, or $750m.

JP Morgan Chase is a huge, and very profitable company.

It has assets of $1.4 trillion, annual revenues of $100bn and profits of $14bn in 2006, and ranks 11th on the Fortune 500 list of the biggest US companies.

But city and state officials fear that without the subsidies, key financial institutions would desert New York City, and particularly the Wall Street area.

After the terrorist attacks of 9/11, many financial firms - including JP Morgan Chase - moved their headquarters out of downtown New York, where the World Trade Center had been located.

Wow, that is corporate welfare to the extreme! In Canada, only certain unmentionable aerospace manufacturers in Quebec could request that kind of a hand out. If the city of Toronto cut a $650M check to any corporation, I think that the mayor and city council might have to face the firing squad.

Back