News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

G

ganjavih

The is the side of NYC I find more interesting... the grittier, edgier side. We'll start with downtown and Canal St. which is sort of like Spadina Ave on steroids.

DSC04044.jpg

DSC04046.jpg

Brooklyn Bridge.
DSC04028.jpg

Manhattan Bridge.
DSC04045.jpg

Can't say enough about the Woolworth Building.
DSC04025.jpg

DSC04051.jpg

Mulberry St. in Little Italy.
DSC04047.jpg

Municipal buildings.
DSC04050.jpg

HARLEM
--------
DSC03962.jpg

DSC03963.jpg

DSC03965.jpg

DSC03966.jpg

DSC03967.jpg

DSC03968.jpg

DSC03970.jpg

DSC03971.jpg

I think this dude didn't like me standing in the middle of the street to take a photo...
DSC03972.jpg

...because if you look closely...
DSC03972b.jpg

DSC03973.jpg

DSC03974.jpg

DSC03975.jpg

DSC03976.jpg

BROOKLYN
----------

Overlapping bridges.
DSC04091.jpg

Beautiful views of Manhattan from Brooklyn heights.
DSC04098.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

Downtown Brooklyn.
DSC04108.jpg

Crown Heights, Brooklyn. An interesting mix of Caribbean and Orthodox Jewish. The lady in the photo selling mangoes on the right kept calling me "papa". Is that common among Latinos? Anyhoo, the cold fresh mangoes came in handy as it was virtually summertime weather this past weekend.
DSC04110.jpg

I found the area very Toronto-like. This is Utica Ave.
DSC04111.jpg

DSC04113.jpg

DSC04114.jpg

Duane Reade and White Castle... Dorothy, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.
DSC04116.jpg

DSC04117.jpg

The jig is up, my man.
DSC04118.jpg

DSC04122.jpg

Brutha Malcolm.
DSC04123.jpg

DSC04125.jpg

DSC04126.jpg

Broadway in Brooklyn was almost completely covered by the subway tracks. It made for a kinda cool effect, actually.
DSC04133.jpg

DSC04136.jpg

DSC04138.jpg

DSC04139.jpg

DSC04143.jpg

Dinner at Peter Luger's... if you're a carnivore, it's a must try.
DSC04142.jpg

DSC04140.jpg

That's it! More pics and videos to come!

Again, great shots. Nice to see the driver in your street shot displaying some stereotypical New York charm.

Making my mouth water - reminding me of some great meat.

Love the shots, and love the many ways New Yorkers welcome you.

great pics

Some very nice photos. NYC is always a treat. And indeed, Brooklyn in general has many areas reminiscent of Toronto, particularily outside of downtown.

I couldn't disagree more about Canal, though; it's not so much as Spadina on steroids as it is Spadina with sould sucked out of with, but with desparation added into the mix a hundred fold.

Re: great pics

If you want meat and blood, you have to try Sammy's Romanian Steakhouse in the lower east side (very jewish restaruant too).

Thanks for the great pics.

Cool shots of the BK, Ganja. Brooklyn might be the most beautiful city in America with endless rows of brownstones out in neighbourhoods like Park Slope, Fort Greene, Brooklyn Hts and, for the adventurous, Bed Stuy and parts of Bushwick.

How did you like Crown Heights? It was designed after the Champs Elysees. It's an undiscovered gem. Rabbi Menachem Schneersohn's house on the E Pkwy is a must-see...even for those who don't believe that he was the messiah.

How did you like Crown Heights?

I loved it... and just discovered it by chance. I crossed the bridge into Brooklyn with no plan, hung out along the river, explored Brooklyn Heights, took some photos and chatted with some of the locals. Quite a friendly bunch... offering to take my photo, giving me tips on where to go, etc. I told them I'm from Toronto (forgetting that I moved) and this very pleasant middle-aged lady with a thick Brooklyn accent commented enthusiastically, "Oh, we're neighbours!". I asked where I should go to find a cool, gritty, ethnic neighbourhood and one chap suggested Crown Heights. The mix of Caribbean, Latino and Orthodox Jewish was quite interesting. But that's NYC... always something new and fascinating to discover.

Crown Heights, Sunset Park

I live right in the heart of Crown Heights. In the West Indian part. Alchemist - you still in New York?

Another neat neighbourhood is Sunset Park. It's got streets filled with round-bayed buff brick townhouses and a very bumping Mexican (/Ecuadorean) retail strip and a very bumping Chinese retail strip. And some of the city's best views of Manhattan and the harbour.

Re: Crown Heights, Sunset Park

hey jan,

I'm back in Toronto now. It was cool running into you at the Jane Jacobs seminar. I never got to check out Sunset Park, but there's always next time.

Re: Crown Heights, Sunset Park

Everyone: I take NYC for granted sometimes as I live just 40 miles away here in central Long Island. This group shows just a little of that great melting pot that makes up NYC! LI MIKE

Back