SaugeenJunction

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought I'd make a thread for the former hospital lands in Old Oakville. It is a large plot of land very close to downtown Oakville that will see significant redevelopment over the next few years. I've attached a few links with an overview of the site and what is proposed.

Link to Town of Oakville site: https://www.oakville.ca/townhall/former-hospital-site-project.html

Demolition site:

570-former-hospital-demolition-staging.jpg

Former Hospital Site Masterplan:
570-former-hospital-master-plan.jpg

Project timeline:
FHS-timeline.png

Disappointing that there is no retail. This is a walking neighborhood. They have a corner store so they have precedence. An interior retail destination for pedestrians would be nice for the people who would not otherwise visit the park and community centre.

They should just make the whole thing town houses. Why build detached houses less than 1km from Oakville Downtown and Midtown Growth Centres?

NIMBYism is why there isn't more density. I went to a few meetings and judging by the reaction of residents, you'd think they were building the CN Tower on the site.

I understand concerns about high rise buildings next to low rise neighbourhoods, but we're talking about 2 stories here.

Most recent update from December:

Plans Move Forward for Oakville's Former Hospital Site and Brantwood School

A green light has been given for official plan and zoning amendments at Oakville’s former hospital lands and Brantwood school property.
Approval of the zoning and official plan amendments allows the town to implement the master plan which sees: a residential district in the north with townhouse and detached housing; a civic district in the middle with a community centre and park; a seniors-oriented housing district in the south, including a civic space in front of the preserved former Oakville Trafalgar High School, and a passive park space along Allan St.

Yeah, no one is building anything affordable here in Oakville.
Not sure what we would define as affordable these days? Retain.y within this little town. And does affordable differ from community to community? But no mind, yes, no one is building affordable below the QEW, and above, not sure that fits either. But the pace of renovation continues and the unofficial count of port-a-potties remains high.

The main bulk of developable hospital lands for housing are designated for singles and townhouses, as outlined to the north below. A new road (the “L” shaped one) will be built.
944E7E13-279B-4815-86C6-8F299C621043.jpeg

The land has sat vacant for years, but is being developed by Fernbrook and advertising has started for it. Called “Lifestyle of South East Oakville”.
C8E5540B-A38D-411B-A23E-D0A13CE938C2.jpeg

As an aside, I grew up in this neighbourhood and the homes are actually quite tasteful and charming. I’m hoping we don’t get stucco monstrosities.

Those "stucco monstrosities" are so gaudy. Proof that money can't buy taste. The faux roman columns on the front steps are also a nice touch. I honestly wonder what type of people think those houses look great? I would be embarrassed to live in such a home.

Back