8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

yin_yang

Member Bio
Reaction score
I figure they have to just be getting better and better since they seem to integrate more and more. I hope this happens just because a merged entity would probably be on par with York U and closer and closer to U of T quality. I know Ryerson is expanding but I would prefer them and GBC to merge.

It is very easy to argue that Ryerson is already on par (if not surpassed) York U. The near-constant strikes at York University has made Ryerson the more desirable university for those who you know, want to complete a degree in 4 years without disruption. The admission standards at Ryerson have been slightly higher than at York U for near a decade.

Ryerson and George Brown have definitely gotten closer, and there is already a lot of flexibility in some programs such as nursing and early child education (where many complete 3 years at GBC and transfer to Ryerson for the 4th year). That being said, Ryerson and George Brown have different student demographics and their programs attract different markets and price-points. Generally speaking, Ryerson is more focused on academic and professional education, whereas George Brown is more specialized in vocational education.

You need to ask what does a merge bring to the table and whether the schools really stand to benefit over the status quo. There may be some areas of overlap (nursing, early child education, and the theatre school) between the two schools where a merged program could have economies of scale, but I think it would be overall beneficial for the two schools (and different student demographics/markets) to continue specializing within their markets. Ryerson is competing with UofT and York. George Brown with Humber and Seneca.

One area though that I would be curious to see some more flexibility and cooperation might be Ryerson's Chang School of Continuing Education. They could benefit from access to George Brown's facilities, teaching and student pool, but again, Ryerson's Chang school is a direct competitor to many of George Brown's part-time diplomas.

In the age of new public management and a never-ending pursuit of efficiencies, I expect to see universities, colleges and school boards start to merge in the near future.

That sounds like an extremely unnecessarily/painful amalgamation. The whole concept of integration/efficiencies should be thought about beyond Econ101 ideas.

I guess no point in merging further when they're already so close they have a similar location and school logo colour theme. But still would love to see this.

The admission standards at Ryerson have been slightly higher than at York U for near a decade.

Can confirm.

Accepted to York in 2003 for general arts.
Rejected from Ryerson in 2006 for psychology.....this was with my supplemental credentials from Carleton which were a 3.5 average, thanks.

This also makes Carleton (poli sci) and Trent (history) show their lower standards than Ryerson. ;)

Also accepted to George Brown (design) in 2008 so they would just be holding Ryerson back, I reckon.

I dropped out of everything anyway so just goes to show, Ryerson had it right. They're too good for G.B.

Back