8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Braddale

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone knows who owns or if there are plans for the old brick building that is south of Sams on Yonge St. This is one building that should have Historical Status (maybe it does, I dont know) but man it would be great if it could be restored. It seems forever it has been occupied by junky stereo shops and the like.

I walked down Yonge yesterday and thought what a waste that year by year goes by and this building looks like a strong wind would take it down. It has beautiful detail on the outside, especially the trim around the windows, and the brickwork. Just bugs me that it is being allowed to fall into such a state.
The old buildings on Yonge should be treated as treasures.

Well I can tell you that Franks Hotdogs has been closed down and the windows are currently covered. We will have to wait and see who moves in and whether it will be more than just a new tenant.

Apparently Ryerson looked in to buying it and using the upstairs space, but the building is in such terrible condition that it would have been far too expensive.

It looks like it dates from the late 1800's or early 1900's. Anyone know the history behind it?? It seems all the buildings around that area are so nondescript and then there is this one from a whole different era literally crumbling by the day...

From the Inventory of Heritage Properties

335 YONGE ST Residential 27 Architectural Contextual William Reynolds Block, 1888, (including Empress Hotel) at Gould St. (SE) -adopted by City Council on March 15, 1974

If it could somehow be restored, it sure would provide a nice contrast to Metropolis. almost makes the block into a kind of Time Machine. Its surprising the brickwork is still holding up.

After going to New York it starts to make you really appreciate what old building stock we still have in this city, especially downtown.

It could definitely be restored. It's amazing how fargone a building can be and still be completely restored. The clock tower building on Yonge was virtually collapsing.

Doesn't the Dundas Station platform extend to about here? If the TTC plans to build an extra entrance at that end of the platform, which they totally should, it could possibly use the ground floor of this building for it.

I could be wrong about underground layouts, but I've been holding on to that pet idea for a while.

For some reason, that reminds me of the travesty that is TfL's endlessly-recycled plan for Camden tube station. But yeah, that's a good idea.

Many buildings along Yonge have been restored for retail, think of the one where Buffalo/David Bitton is, the one where Urban Outfitters is, or the one where Pier 1 is. There is lots of potential for 335 Yonge. Perhaps it would be ideal for a Crate & Barrel or some other big US retailer that is looking for a flagship location for breaking into the Canadian market.

Once TLC is up and running, I'm confident that area will become prime retail and this building will be restored. Much like what has happened on the east side of Yonge between Queen & Dundas Square, as mentioned above.

Once TLC is up and running, I'm confident that area will become prime retail and this building will be restored. Much like what has happened on the east side of Yonge between Queen & Dundas Square, as mentioned above.

I agree. I think (and hope) the building has a bright future ahead of it.

I just hope it never suffers a fate like the old townhouses on Shuter a few months ago.....It has to be the oldest building on Yonge in that immediate area.

If you go past The Hard Rock Cafe there is another very old building, just a few doors down that seems be having some work done to it. It is almost on the scale of the old houses in Cabbagetown.

I just hope it never suffers a fate like the old townhouses on Shuter a few months ago.....It has to be the oldest building on Yonge in that immediate area.

1888 isn't *that* old--I'm sure there are some unassuming storefronts as old or older in the vicinity...

Back