00064.jpg

00064a.jpg

00078.jpg

00065.jpg

00086.jpg

00236.jpg

00213.jpg

00030.jpg

Another interesting group of Hamilton pics...

Flar: Just when I thought you had said "goodbye" to Hamilton you pick out more interesting pics and post them-and new ones not previously posted
at that! There are just too many interesting pics to comment on right now so I will either post comments gradually in the coming weeks.

Those cold-weather air views really caught my eye-on those clear Winter days with low humidity you can literally see for miles-like that view of Toronto in the distance on Lake Ontario's N shore. As you probably can figure
out I enjoy air-view pics anytime!

You probably have enough material to perhaps post some more-especially if they are new they are always welcome! Thanks again-LI MIKE

Wow, excellent job Flar! I've never realized Hamilton was so beautiful, I've only been there a few times and never thought much of it.

A lot of the shots have an 80's feel to them (IMHO).

Hamilton has a real run down look to it. And the factories are very aesthetically unappealling. I live in Hamilton (temporarily) and I love parts of it such as the Westdale Village, Kirkendall and Durand, but for the most part its main streets feel so run down.

Industry doesn't appeal to many people, but that's what built Hamilton, and this country. I think the main streets of Hamilton are generally more run down than the sidestreets. Streets like Barton, King East, Main, Kenilworth, Queenston and others are rife with retail abandonment. This is mainly because of a concentration of poverty in the lower city as countless jobs have been lost over the past 30 years. You can also add contributing factors like the one-way street system, widening roads to 5 lanes with tiny sidewalks or removing streetcars and trolleys.

oh yea, the one way streets! It's all coming back to me now. King Street with their poverty theme and intense driving concentration needed.

Awesome!

What a collection!!

You'll notice our Main Streets are more run-down than some Side Streets for a number of reasons, but primarily because of the One-Way Street Express Routes.

Vehicles, including Cars carrying potential customers, are encouraged to fly through the lower-city thanks to: One-Way Streets, Timed Lights (ie: if you Drive @ 55 km/h along Main St at, say from Dundurn, chances are you will not stop for one light until you reach Gage Park). Imagine trying to walk along the side of the Gardiner or DVP to get to your favourite restaurant... oh wait, there wouldn't be a restaurant along the DVP or GDNR! Now see Hamilton's situation!

Oddly enough, the Streets which saw two-way conversions within the last couple of years (namely James & John) has seen a lot of empty storefronts open up since the conversion. Yet City Council almost decided to squash any future two-way conversion plans a couple months ago, despite the obvious & evident success stories along these stretches!

Some notes on some pics:

#5: Gallaghers
Not run-down anymore, but rather a popular Pub addition to the Augusta St Pub District right behind the Hamilton GO Ctr!
Streetview: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=KhcliDsSXwSrMQROP7G9rg&cbp=12,66.02,,0,-3.18

#14: Cannon St Asian Village

This is an area semi-rich in Asian cultures (all regions) that is trying to be an Asiantown, but can't due to Cannon St (where it's located) being yet another One-Way Expressway.
That strange pink bldg on the left of the photo has been replaced with:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...4EFNS8nJbGemTX1SPqz8EQ&cbp=12,355.96,,0,-2.12

#37: Ivor Wynne
Wow was this place ever pumpin' on Sun! I was afraid the Stadium was going to fall apart during the chaos that was TiCat Fandemonium! GO CATS GO! ...next year...

#52: Pan Am Stadium View
I imagine this would be the View from the West Stands of PanAm Stadium! I like it! Very... Ivor Wynne! HAHA

#102: Tracks, Snow and Mountains OH MY
Beautiful Shot!!! Never Before Seen! Is this Dundas Valley Consv. Area?

Flar: For your first group of Hamilton pics I will mention these...

Flar: I have been wanting to mention this Hamilton section for a while now and for the posted group one:
1-Interesting street w/neighborhood store-where?
3-Nice "twin" building in which one occupant owns a large dog...
4-Nice stream pic off mountain in winter...
7,40-Nice waterfall pics-where?
8-Neat atrium of what building?
9-Nice red vintage Mercedes-Benz in this pic...
12-Rail line near Bayview Junction?
13,14,20,26,28,32,33,37,45,48,58 and 60 are interesting Hamilton airviews...
18-Nice sunset pic...
21-An invitation to visit Uncle Fidel(Not yet extended to those from the US legally...yet!)and perhaps sample the World's best cigars...
27-Nice Victorian brick building and brownstones-where?
30-Nice small brick house-where?
34-GO Train-bridge above is?
39-Near Downtown-street?
42-Interesting row houses
46-Alley in which neighborhood?
49-Nice stone house-where?
52-Rail yards in pic are where exactly?
53-More interesting row houses-Note Brazil flag in this pic...
56-This pic reminds me of Pittsburgh,PA.
That's all I will ask about for now. When I have more time I will continue...
Long Island Mike

Flar: I have been wanting to mention this Hamilton section for a while now and for the posted group one:
1-Interesting street w/neighborhood store-where?
3-Nice "twin" building in which one occupant owns a large dog...
4-Nice stream pic off mountain in winter...
7,40-Nice waterfall pics-where?
8-Neat atrium of what building?
9-Nice red vintage Mercedes-Benz in this pic...
12-Rail line near Bayview Junction?
13,14,20,26,28,32,33,37,45,48,58 and 60 are interesting Hamilton airviews...
18-Nice sunset pic...
21-An invitation to visit Uncle Fidel(Not yet extended to those from the US legally...yet!)and perhaps sample the World's best cigars...
27-Nice Victorian brick building and brownstones-where?
30-Nice small brick house-where?
34-GO Train-bridge above is?
39-Near Downtown-street?
42-Interesting row houses
46-Alley in which neighborhood?
49-Nice stone house-where?
52-Rail yards in pic are where exactly?
53-More interesting row houses-Note Brazil flag in this pic...
56-This pic reminds me of Pittsburgh,PA.
That's all I will ask about for now. When I have more time I will continue...
Long Island Mike

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy and haven't logged in for a while, until now.

#1 is James St. North. Increasingly known as James North rather than Jamesville, as it is officially known. It's a neighbourhood shared by Portuguese, Italians and the arts community.

#7 & 40: the first is Sherman Falls in Ancaster and the second is Webster's Falls in Greensville.

#8 is the Standard Life Centre, but I think it's called something else now.

#12: Yes

#27: Durand neighbourhood

#30: Stinson neighbourhood, I think

#34: Bayview junction again, the bridge with the steel frame just visible at the top is the High Level Bridge. In all I think there are two bridges for Hwy 403, the High Level Bridge (York Blvd) and two train bridges. Underneath there is a pedestrian bridge perpendicular to the others over the canal between Hamilton Harbour and Cootes Paradise.

#39 is James Street South

#42: the most common style of rowhouse in Hamilton

#46: I can't remember where this alley is, there are paved alleys like this all over the lower city.

#49: This house is actually just minutes from downtown. It's on James St just after it curves up the Escarpment.

#52 is the main CN rail yard near the tip of the west harbour, just east of Bayview Junction.

Thanks for the comments LI MIke

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy and haven't logged in for a while, until now.

#1 is James St. North. Increasingly known as James North rather than Jamesville, as it is officially known. It's a neighbourhood shared by Portuguese, Italians and the arts community.

#7 & 40: the first is Sherman Falls in Ancaster and the second is Webster's Falls in Greensville.

#8 is the Standard Life Centre, but I think it's called something else now.

#12: Yes

#27: Durand neighbourhood

#30: Stinson neighbourhood, I think

#34: Bayview junction again, the bridge with the steel frame just visible at the top is the High Level Bridge. In all I think there are two bridges for Hwy 403, the High Level Bridge (York Blvd) and two train bridges. Underneath there is a pedestrian bridge perpendicular to the others over the canal between Hamilton Harbour and Cootes Paradise.

#39 is James Street South

#42: the most common style of rowhouse in Hamilton

#46: I can't remember where this alley is, there are paved alleys like this all over the lower city.

#49: This house is actually just minutes from downtown. It's on James St just after it curves up the Escarpment.

#52 is the main CN rail yard near the tip of the west harbour, just east of Bayview Junction.

Thanks for the comments LI MIke

# 8: Yes, stilled called the Standard Life Centre, but has a couple other companies in it as well such as Telus Sourcing (which was supposed to make Hamilton it's Eastern H.O. until they chose Toronto (surprise)).

#27: Durand neighbourhood -- More specifically: Herkimer St, just West of James: Google Streetview

Google Streetview

Oddly enough, the Streets which saw two-way conversions within the last couple of years (namely James & John) has seen a lot of empty storefronts open up since the conversion. Yet City Council almost decided to squash any future two-way conversion plans a couple months ago, despite the obvious & evident success stories along these stretches!

I don't like how they did the conversions though. The bending over backwards to accomodate left turn lanes is far worse than the recent much-talked-about St. Clair ROW controversy. James St. going from three lanes to one to three to two to one to three and on and on is crazy.

I don't like how they did the conversions though. The bending over backwards to accomodate left turn lanes is far worse than the recent much-talked-about St. Clair ROW controversy. James St. going from three lanes to one to three to two to one to three and on and on is crazy.

That's exactly why a lot of Hamiltonians didn't like the conversion and future conversions are in jeopardy--way too confusing. (Ironically it's probably less confusing for outsiders than the ridiculous one-way system)

Back