News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Agreed!

I don't like how they did the conversions though. The bending over backwards to accomodate left turn lanes is far worse than the recent much-talked-about St. Clair ROW controversy. James St. going from three lanes to one to three to two to one to three and on and on is crazy.

I have to side with you on that! When it comes to Hamilton, we can never get anything 100% right... there's always got to be some sort of a catch.

Two lanes up, two lanes down... what's so difficult about that?

On the bright side still, James & John South (John St N is mostly residential) have had a couple new stores open up since the conversion.
Some thought off the top of my head:

John St South:
-Gallaghers Pub (was a popular bar/club called Raven, but was closed for years until the conversion. Great bar & patio addition to the Agusta St Pub District)
Google Streetview
-Street Meat BBQ (was an old-school type barber shop before)
Google Streetview
-Baddy-Mania (a store dedicated to Badminton?)
Google Streetview <--- It just opened this fall, so is still under renos in this shot
-Shawarma Hut (Has actually undergone a recent expansion. Great place for after-bar mediteranean grub)
Google Streetview --The Asian Teahouse beside it opened up and closed within a month, however.
-London Tap House (good atmosphere, bad pre-prepped food. Great rooftop patio with amazing views!)
Google Streetview
-Canadian Centre for Workplace Mental Health (??) (it's an office, not a halfway house)

Along with several renovations/upgrades: Subway, Runco Auto, Matta Matta Tattoo actually moved down John St to a bigger, expanded studio, as well as Shawarma Hut's exansion, Tim Horton's (can't really credit that to two-way conversion though?)

Along James St:
-James St Walk-In Clinic (first and only in the downtown core) and Pharmasave
Google Streetview
-Grab n Go Green Deli (it's a organic deli)
-Simply Divine Bakery, beside the organic deli
Google Streetview for both
-Chateau Royal Dentists Office
-A Bunch of new small businesses in this block
-James North Art Crawl & Super Crawl (where they shut down James North for Artists, Musicians, stages, buskers, etc..)

Ok, so I got lazy and decided to stop posting the new shops/restos, but they are there! Tons of renos, and a lot more importantly, MORE PEDESTRIANS!
James and John are by-far a million times more enjoyable to walk, just ask any Hamiltonian! I moved downtown when these streets were comfortably one-way (aka expressways), and am very happy that the conversion happened.

Although I don't live in the southern part of Downtown anymore, I can still appreciate all the great things that slowing traffic has done, and I'm sure the area residents do to!

Next Step: York Blvd!!

guys.. what are your tricks for quoting the photo number with such ease?
i'd like to do it my self, but you guys aren't actually counting them are you?

guys.. what are your tricks for quoting the photo number with such ease?
i'd like to do it my self, but you guys aren't actually counting them are you?

Counting is the only way. I keep telling myself I'm going to number the pics, but I always forget. From now on I will number them.

Century Theatre, Hamilton

Some odds and ends that never made it into any my other Hamilton threads:

00022b.jpg

The Lyric Theatre (opened in 1913 as a Vaudeville House), renamed The Century Theatre in 1940 (closed in 1989) had a large portion of it's roof collpase last week. Portions of the roof in the backstage areas and above the false ceiling in the auditorium where the balcony used to be have been collapsing for years but I'm told by a friend in Hamilton this was a big one. Sadly, the word is the building is likely going to have to be demolished.

I got a tour of this theatre from top to bottom back around '87 or '88 before it closed, it was an amazing structure full of treasures locked away above, below and behind the common areas (lobby, auditorium & offices). Walking through a clothes closet a few floors above the lobby with a hidden back door lead to the balcony & upper lobby areas, sealed off for over 50 years, was like talking a walk back in time. The huge basement even housed a huge bingo hall, deteriorating badly as it had been closed off for decades. It's a shame to see this neglected property go like this.

A few other photos of the exterior that I have archived from 1913 & 2006, photographers unknown.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Last edited:
The Second Section of Hamilton pics...

Flar: As I promised I want to mention the second section of Hamilton pics...
61-Airview looking NW?
62-Excellent airview with dry clear Winter weather...
63-nice stone house-where?
65-E End Hamilton from the Mountain?
67-J.L. Seagull on the hunt?
68-Was this building being demolished? If so it's a shame-it looks neat!
69-Looking NW off Mountain...
71-Interesting building...
74-600/602 a little run down but interesting nontheless-where?
75-I remember nonsense graffiti like this when I was a teenager in the 70s...
76-Nice stone twin-where?
78-James Street S victorian brick/stone...
79-RR tracks where on which line?
81-Hess Village city night life...
82-Bank of Montreal with good facade detail...where?
83-The City at night...
84-Nice brick small homes...
85-Waterfront tug boats...
86-An E End neighborhood from the air?
87-Nice stone castle-like home-is that in Durand?
88-Which Downtown street?
89-Nice homes-where?
90-Nice detached homes-where?
91-Looks like Western Pennsylvania to me...but it is Hamilton.
92-Close-in HML looking NW?
94-Interesting brick homes...
95-Nice detail on this house...
96-Hamilton skyline from where?
99-Rowhouses - a little Philadelphia-like...where?
100-Hamilton Mountain pic looking NW?
101-Rail line-where?
102-Bridge...
103-Clean alley...
104-An old house surrounded by high rises...where?
105-Neat block of row houses - where?
106-Neighborhood commercial strip-where?
107-Single track line out of GO Hamilton terminal looking E towards tunnel
I believe...
108-Winter airview looking NE?
109-Excellent clear view looking out over Lake Ontario from Hamilton with
Toronto's skyline in the distance...
110-Nice twin homes...
111-Brown stone construction-near Downtown?
112-Nice small homes...
114-Road leading into HML-is that ONT Route 405?
115-A nice waterfall...
116-Is it really YUM YUM? Let me try...I like Chinese food...
117-Winter in the City...
118-Nice church with intricate design-where?
119-Nice shop pic-where?
120-Like those old style brick homes...
121-Sunset-appropriate to say GOOD-BYE!
I really liked these pics...another thing to learn and like about Hamilton!
Long Island Mike

Sadly, but not unexpectedly, the old theatre cited above by dt_toronto_geek has been deemed unsafe and will be demolished within the week. More demolition by neglect that is destroying what's left of downtown Hamilton.

Thanks for your comments and questions LI Mike, I've put my comments within the quote below.

Flar: As I promised I want to mention the second section of Hamilton pics...
61-Airview looking NW? yes
62-Excellent airview with dry clear Winter weather...
63-nice stone house-where? Kirkendall neighbourhood
65-E End Hamilton from the Mountain? east of downtown, but more central than east end
67-J.L. Seagull on the hunt?
68-Was this building being demolished? If so it's a shame-it looks neat! It was being held hostage so the developer could get public money. It's now being renovated at great expense to the taxpayer, but I'm glad it wasn't demolished at least
69-Looking NW off Mountain... Yes
71-Interesting building... An old castle that is now destroyed and rented out as cheap apartments
74-600/602 a little run down but interesting nontheless-where? Barton St I think
75-I remember nonsense graffiti like this when I was a teenager in the 70s... Hamilton has too much of this
76-Nice stone twin-where? Strathcona neighbourhood
78-James Street S victorian brick/stone...
79-RR tracks where on which line? The main CN rail corridor just north of Barton St.
81-Hess Village city night life...
82-Bank of Montreal with good facade detail...where? James and Main right downtown
83-The City at night...
84-Nice brick small homes...
85-Waterfront tug boats...
86-An E End neighborhood from the air? Way east in Stoney Creek
87-Nice stone castle-like home-is that in Durand? Yes, it's called Ballahinich (I think), circa 1850s
88-Which Downtown street? King Street West
89-Nice homes-where? Stinson neighbourhood
90-Nice detached homes-where? Not sure actually, but they are central because Stelco tower is visible in the background
91-Looks like Western Pennsylvania to me...but it is Hamilton.
92-Close-in HML looking NW? East Hamilton/Stoney Creek looking NW to harbour
94-Interesting brick homes... Landsdale neighbourhood
95-Nice detail on this house... Durand neighbourhood, this was a rowhouse but unfortunately only two units are left.
96-Hamilton skyline from where? McQueston High Level Bridge
99-Rowhouses - a little Philadelphia-like...where? Beasley, very close to downtown
100-Hamilton Mountain pic looking NW? yes, from Stoney Creek
101-Rail line-where? Dundas. I think the train station used to be on this ledge years ago.
102-Bridge... The Lift Bridge under the Skyway
103-Clean alley... Keith Neighbourhood
104-An old house surrounded by high rises...where? Durand Neighbourhood
105-Neat block of row houses - where? Landsdale I think.
106-Neighborhood commercial strip-where? Locke St. South in Kirkendall
107-Single track line out of GO Hamilton terminal looking E towards tunnel
I believe... Exactly, good eye
108-Winter airview looking NE? yes
109-Excellent clear view looking out over Lake Ontario from Hamilton with
Toronto's skyline in the distance... shows how massive TO is.
110-Nice twin homes...
111-Brown stone construction-near Downtown? Along James St. South
112-Nice small homes... Landsdale neighbourhood I think
114-Road leading into HML-is that ONT Route 405? Claremont Access, a mountain access connecting Victoria Ave and Upper James.
115-A nice waterfall... Webster's Falls on the escarpment above Dundas
116-Is it really YUM YUM? Let me try...I like Chinese food... I've never tried it.
117-Winter in the City...
118-Nice church with intricate design-where? Cathedral of Christ the King, near Hwy 403 and King St West
119-Nice shop pic-where? Downtown Dundas
120-Like those old style brick homes... Durand Neighbourhood
121-Sunset-appropriate to say GOOD-BYE!
I really liked these pics...another thing to learn and like about Hamilton!
Long Island Mike

Last edited:
Demolition will begin tomorrow.

The Lyric Theatre (opened in 1913 as a Vaudeville House), renamed The Century Theatre in 1940 (closed in 1989) had a large portion of it's roof collpase last week. Portions of the roof in the backstage areas and above the false ceiling in the auditorium where the balcony used to be have been collapsing for years but I'm told by a friend in Hamilton this was a big one. Sadly, the word is the building is likely going to have to be demolished.

I got a tour of this theatre from top to bottom back around '87 or '88 before it closed, it was an amazing structure full of treasures locked away above, below and behind the common areas (lobby, auditorium & offices). Walking through a clothes closet a few floors above the lobby with a hidden back door lead to the balcony & upper lobby areas, sealed off for over 50 years, was like talking a walk back in time. The huge basement even housed a huge bingo hall, deteriorating badly as it had been closed off for decades. It's a shame to see this neglected property go like this.

A few other photos of the exterior that I have archived from 1913 & 2006, photographers unknown.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

It will be replaced by nothing, just like the empty lot next door. I've lost count of the number of Hamilton buildings that have simply fallen down due to neglect or have been demolished and replaced by nothing.

I tried to get a discussion going on this in the “this week in heritage conservation crimes†but it didn’t go anywhere.

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?p=360104#post360104

It's a shame.. but this is a classic example. the market can't afford $$ to convert to condo. it's in private ownership. hmm what to do? Seriously?

273.jpg

274.jpg

lyric-rays.jpg

From the spec
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/701118

Another downtown heritage building unsafe

January 08, 2010
Nicole O'Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jan 8, 2010)
The facade of the heritage- designated Century Theatre is in jeopardy after the city issued an order that it is unsafe and blocked access to the historic downtown building yesterday afternoon.

City of Hamilton public works staff began closing Mary Street and its sidewalks from King Street East to the northeast edge of the property around 4 p.m. as the building's owner, Zoran Cocov, of Lyric Century Apartments, looked on. The neighbouring parking lot will also be closed.

The order calls for immediate action because the building's inside on the upper floors are structurally unstable, said city spokesperson Debbie Spence.

Cars were towed off the street and neighbours were warned of the problem, though they were not told to evacuate. Police patrolled the area on foot to ward off any pedestrians.

Spence said the owner must have an engineer with heritage knowledge on site today to determine the immediate next steps. The area will remain closed until action is taken.

Lyric Century Apartments, which has owned the property for almost 10 years, obtained a heritage permit for the historic building's facade in 2007 and a demolition permit to tear down the rear of the building in March 2009, she said.

Plans were in the works to build a 59-unit condominium building, Cocov said.

The plan was to preserve the facade and first bay of side walls to stand as the condo entrance, he said. But the instability may mean the facade is too dangerous to save.

"Health and safety has to be the main concern right now," Cocov said.

In a Spectator article in September, Cocov said the preservation of the heritage feature was proving very expensive.

It is unclear when construction might have begun, as no site design had been submitted to the city, Spence said.

The city was alerted to the problem through an engineering company that had examined the site to provide the owners with a quote for its services, she said.

The state of the theatre, which is on the city's list of vacant buildings, caused many complaints from residents, Spence said. The last property standards complaint was on June 5, claiming the building was open to trespassers.

The historic building was the biggest of its kind in Hamilton when it opened 1913. With 2,000 seats it was a prime location on the vaudeville circuit and later showed movies.

It closed 20 years ago. Its last movie was Lethal Weapon 2.

Ward 2 Councillor Bob Bratina remembers seeing movies there. He said he is very sad to see how far a building with such value and presence has deteriorated.

"I had high hopes to reinstate it as a music theatre," he said.

Bratina said the city should have been able to preserve the building.

"It shows we still have a long way to go on our property standards," he said.

Bratina initiated the bylaw for proactive inspections. He said he plans to review it for holes, including what he called a lack of roof inspections.

"We continually have buildings falling down before our eyes."

from http://historicalhamilton.com/beasley/century-(lyric)-theatre/Date

Built: 1913

The 2300-seat Lyric Theatre opened in 1913 as a vaudeville and motion-picture house. The theatre was named as the result of a promotional contest where $200 in gold was the prize for the best name. Eighty Hamiltonians suggested the name, Lyric, and the prize was split among them, each receiving $2.50.

The Renaissance Revival style theatre was converted to Hamilton's first movie studio in 1920, and again renovated in 1922 as a vaudeville and movie house.

In 1940, the theatre was modernized and air-conditioned. Renamed the Century, the renovated interior of the new theatre still covers the original interior of the old Lyric. Another modernization in 1952 did little to save the Century from the same fate as all Hamilton's grand movie houses, and it closed in 1989.

Subsequently, the facade of the building with its semicircular Lyric logo was designated to be of heritage value by the City of Hamilton under the Ontario Heritage Act. Currently, the rest of the building is slated for demolition, to be rebuilt as condominiums.

Written by: Bill Manson

Back