8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Bjays92

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wanted to highlight something a little different from Kitchener today. This one is nearly complete (exterior is finished still doing interior) but it is an incredibly unique project.

ZrnsHP9.jpg

Photo credit: ac3r

This is a slightly older photo (late last year) but it showcases perfectly the glass on this structure. This was built on the site of the historic Mayfair hotel, that was unfortunately abandoned and heavily damaged. The building makes use of fritted glass to create what is affectionately referred to as the "ghost of the mayfair" having seen it several times in person it is a really impressive effect and I'm amazed at how clearly visible the original structure is in the glass.

20201125_151946326_iOS_resize.jpg

Slightly more recent photo from a different angle credit this time goes to tomh009.

Another interesting fact about this development is that it is wooden, and I believe it's the first wood framed mid/high rise in the region.

PXL_20201111_232930295.NIGHT.jpg

At night photo credit to Taylorbb

B822067216Z.1_20150821185545_000_GP91HKLAM.2_Gallery.jpg

This was the original building for reference.

Only unfortunate part of this is that it's right downtown but the anchor tenant is just a bank. It would've been nice to get something that was interesting at ground level here. There was supposed to be a rooftop restaurant with a patio and bar, but it looks like that may have been scrapped due to the pandemic.

Is the design just etched in the glass, or is it glass covering the façade of the older structure? If it is the latter, yes, this is very interesting and could be used a possible model for some buildings here in Toronto.

Is the design just etched in the glass, or is it glass covering the façade of the older structure? If it is the latter, yes, this is very interesting and could be used a possible model for some buildings here in Toronto.
The glass is fritted. While you can put glass over heritage facades relatively easily I believe, the original building was beyond saving, so what you are seeing is all in the glass.

Looks good, the fritted glass is a nice technique for showing homage to the original building but in a different way. Reminds me of the building on Queen St W, just west of Portland that was rebuilt after the great fire of ~2008 along that stretch:

...looks like they're using a technique that will one day entomb The Toronto Star Building as currently planned:

I believe these are quite different. I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain in the case of the toronto star they are actually encompassing or recladding with glass. The original structure is not getting torn down and rebuilt as a glass building like with this project. The glass is just going to go over the existing toronto star exterior (or so I believe)

I read that Conestoga College has leased space in this building. Another example of universities/colleges being great citizens!

I like it but not a fan of the single pane modern picture windows. There should be half sash windows at the very least.

Back