News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The ignorance is high. They were right about past rebates. So now they assume that all renewables are expensive, even though the price of renewables have dropped substantially.

Good thing I’m getting my gas fireplace insert next month

It's not that what you have is uncommon. But given what we now know about the links between gas appliances and health risks, particularly asthma with kids, I'm happy that we're moving to ban them. Besides a log fire is so much more romantic.

One advantage Quebec has, besides massive amounts of hydro-electric capacity, is comparatively cheap rates; 7.3cents/KWh vs 13 for Ontario (average per EnergyHub.org). Quebec electricity consumption is winter-weighted due to the proliferation of electric heat and a generally cooler climate. Ontario is summer-weighted.

I've lived with multiple heating sources. The one thing I don't like about non-forced air electric is the lack of air movement except convection (force-air electric was okay except for watching the meter trying to autorotate off the wall) and the need for an air exchanger, particularly in newer, tighter buildings. Air-source heat pumps have come a long way but still require back up in our climate.

I loved secondary-source wood heat, but don't miss the handling. There's a reason they say wood warms you multiple times. Gas fireplaces can't fully replicate wood, but they can be an alternate. So long as they are externally vented they don't impact on interior air quality.

Last edited:
From link.

...Research clearly shows that induction cooktops are more energy efficient: gas cooktops are about 40 percent efficient; electric-coil and standard smooth-top electric cooktops are about 74 percent efficient; and induction cooktops are 84 percent efficient...

It's not that what you have is uncommon. But given what we now know about the links between gas appliances and health risks, particularly asthma with kids, I'm happy that we're moving to ban them.
The deadliest thing in my house is the clock. Everything else is +/- some degree, but the clock‘s gonna kill me for certain.

The deadliest thing in my house is the clock. Everything else is +/- some degree, but the clock‘s gonna kill me for certain.
The clock on my stove is +2 minutes. It's saved me from being late several times, especially in the work from home world where you can't rely on other people to tell you it's time to go to the meeting room! :cool:

The clock on my stove is +2 minutes. It's saved me from being late several times, especially in the work from home world where you can't rely on other people to tell you it's time to go to the meeting room! :cool:
Oy, meetings. I used to work for a multi-billion $ Chicago-based consumer products firm in their Markham office. They absolutely loved meetings, pre-meetings, and post-meeting meetings. I installed an time keeper app on my phone and at the beginning and end of each meeting I’d press the app.

At the end of three months (60 working days) I walked into my boss’ office and said, “see this, 100 hours”, and he asks “what’s 100 hours”. I replied, “That’s 100 hours we‘ve spent in meetings this quarter, and multiplied by the avg eight people per meeting, that’s 800 hours this quarter, or at avg. $40/hr that’s $32,000 in labour cost to sit in meetings”, I didn't add, mouths agape staring at powerpoints and spreadsheets whilst the few decision makers in the room rattled on. But I did close with, "and since our net/net profit was about 25% on sales, to make $32,000 we needed to sell $128,000 in product”.

I got a shrug in response, and soon resigned for a sharper focused firm.

Last edited:
1651503917921.png

From https://www.torontohydro.com/for-home/rates

As of May 1, the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) moved to summer time periods. Current TOU electricity prices will remain the same. The OEB set new TOU rates for RPP customers effective November 1, 2021. These rates are listed in the above table, which also indicates the hours to which those rates apply.

Back