3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 1.4K     0 

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
The lack of a Cherry/Distillery station has perplexed me since the inception of this project...its even the background picture Metrolinx chose for their article

FFS! No it wont! WTF! The Corktown stop is super far away!
While ideally I'd have the station right at Distillery, its still a fairly short walk away from the proposed location, so I think its fine. The Ontario Line probably needs space to resurface to the Don Yard so the location makes sense.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
The lack of a Cherry/Distillery station has perplexed me since the inception of this project...its even the background picture Metrolinx chose for their article

The Corktown station will, apparently, have an entrance at Front and Berkeley which is REALLY not far from The Distillery. I think less than 5 minutes from there to the Trinity Street entrance. Not adjacent but certainly not 'super far away".

Nadnev

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

According to Google Maps it is 300 meters away.

I imagine having the OL connect with the King Streetcar would prove more effective for the movement of passengers rather than having a stop right in the Distillery.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
1600880919093.png

Hold on!

I've been there; much of the original platform space is now embedded in the existing station for movement from the NB to SB platforms.

That corridor is already congested in rush hours.

There is no room to offload full trains into that; you must be kidding me.

There is also insufficient room in those existing connection points (stairs and escalators)

You would need room to widen these by at least a factor of 2, quite possibly more.

Where's that room coming from?

Patrick98

Member Bio
Reaction score
View attachment 271341

Hold on!

I've been there; much of the original platform space is now embedded in the existing station for movement from the NB to SB platforms.

That corridor is already congested in rush hours.

There is no room to offload full trains into that; you must be kidding me.

There is also insufficient room in those existing connection points (stairs and escalators)

You would need room to widen these by at least a factor of 2, quite possibly more.

Where's that room coming from?

wait so am I correct in assuming that the pathway is actually a center platform ? I always wondered where the platform that everyone was talking about was in those pictures, I always just saw a dingy looking cavern I guess that makes sense.
to be fair though, it's not like they are going to use it as is. there will probably still be extensive construction on the station. however it's probably still cheaper to expand whats already there instead of building a whole new station.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
wait so am I correct in assuming that the pathway is actually a center platform ? I always wondered where the platform that everyone was talking about was in those pictures, I always just saw a dingy looking cavern I guess that makes sense.
to be fair though, it's not like they are going to use it as is. there will probably still be extensive construction on the station. however it's probably still cheaper to expand whats already there instead of building a whole new station.

There are 2 connecting paths from the NB side to the SB side of Queen Stn.

One is inside the fare paid area, one is outside the fare paid area.

Both partially encroach on what would be platform space of any Queen subway.

They are side platforms.

There is some additional space beyond the locked doors but not a ton (given space for tracks).

The video I've linked above is with formed TTC CEO Andy Byford and Brad Ross and includes a section shot in Queen Lower; that begins at approx. the 2:55 mark.

This diagram shows how placement of the elevators at Queen , which don't encroach on prospective platform area; but the access corridors to them do.

1600882701910.png

The above is from: https://www.ttc.ca/Subway/Stations/Queen/Accessible_Alternative.jsp

Steve Munro concurs this will be a challenge.

He will have more to say on his blog later today.

Last edited:

Patrick98

Member Bio
Reaction score
There are 2 connecting paths from the NB side to the SB side of Queen Stn.

One is inside the fare paid area, one is outside the fare paid area.

Both partially encroach on what would be platform space of any Queen subway.

They are side platforms.

There is some additional space beyond the locked doors but not a ton (given space for tracks).

The video I've linked above is with formed TTC CEO Andy Byford and Brad Ross and includes a section shot in Queen Lower; that begins at approx. the 2:55 mark.

This diagram shows how placement of the elevators at Queen , which don't encroach on prospective platform area; but the access corridors to them do.

View attachment 271349

The above is from: https://www.ttc.ca/Subway/Stations/Queen/Accessible_Alternative.jsp

Steve Munro concurs this will be a challenge.

He will have more to say on his blog later today.
like I said the station will probably still have to have undergo a lot of construction to work around and expand upon what is there but I still think it's the better option

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Steve Munro's comments are up on his blog.

His comments as they pertain to Queen Station:

Metrolinx says that this station will “make use of an underground cavern below Queen Street, built during construction of the first section of the Yonge Street subway”. In fact, that cavern is not very long, and is already occupied by assorted machinery in the portion that is not already used as an underpass between the northbound and southbound platforms.

There is also the matter of the capacity of vertical access between this area and the station above given the amount of transfer traffic likely at this location.

I have asked Metrolinx for clarification of the vertical arrangement at Queen Station.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Steve Munro has also identified other issues including archeological ones by running the alignment directly under the First Parliament site and an apparent conflict between the tunnel portal approaching the Don River and the R-H line.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Okay then.......

Not on the 'engage' site where consultation is supposed to happen, but on their Blog.........Metrolinx has revealed they do not intend to run trains through Queen Lower.

They are intending the platform be underneath, and that the existing space become a new mezzanine.

This may be workable; though there will still be vertical access challenges.

Over the years, various plans to run streetcars through the downtown core under Queen have come and gone. Eventually, some of the space was used to run utility lines and underpass corridors.
This means that the Ontario Line will have to be drilled out of rock deeper below the PATH, but the plans unveiled today will still make use of the tunnelled sections below the TTC’s Queen subway station.
“We are envisioning that the old underground streetcar station will be reused to provide a convenient transfer for passengers between the Ontario Line and Line 1,” said Michael Tham, Metrolinx deputy technical director for the Ontario Line.