I don't think that's the issue. The issue is that the province is insisting that they be above ground in a dense downtown area, but very deep underground in a very undense suburban area that has massively-wide road-right-of-ways.

On Eglinton, it would surely be cheaper to just put the track at-grade in the middle of the road, and grade-separate the Royal York, Islington, Kipling, and Martin Grove intersections with Eglinton. It doesn't give you the built form thy city wants, virtually creating an Eglinton expressway to Scarlett.

Are you telling us Leslieville, Thorncliffe Park, and Flemo Park are "dense downtown" areas ?

I don't think that's the issue. The issue is that the province is insisting that they be above ground in a dense downtown area, but very deep underground in a very undense suburban area that has massively-wide road-right-of-ways.

On Eglinton, it would surely be cheaper to just put the track at-grade in the middle of the road, and grade-separate the Royal York, Islington, Kipling, and Martin Grove intersections with Eglinton. It doesn't give you the built form thy city wants, virtually creating an Eglinton expressway to Scarlett.
Except the Ontario Line will be underground in Downtown, and Above ground in undense, suburban areas...

The fact that you still spout this garbage makes me think you're a parody account.

The funny thing is he is arguing for the DRL to be underground because the mistake of putting the SSE underground.

The solution for the Scarborough RT should have been the LRT or RT refurbishment, not the subway extension. The same goes for Eglinton West being buried, should have been at-grade or elevated.

Most transit experts will agree with the above assertation. Burying those lines is a mistake.

Exactly.

The province is completely contradicting themselves. It's the opposite of sound transit planning, with cost-saving rationales that only seem to apply to areas that don't benefit them politically.

Metrolinx has become the Ministry of Transit Propaganda.

The funny thing is he is arguing for the DRL to be underground because the mistake of putting the SSE underground.

The solution for the Scarborough RT should have been the LRT or RT refurbishment, not the subway extension. The same goes for Eglinton West being buried, should have been at-grade or elevated.

Most transit experts will agree with the above assertation. Burying those lines is a mistake.

I'm arguing for putting the DRL underground because it makes sense given (first and foremost) the capacity requirements. I've made this very clear.

Transit experts would agree that the Eglinton West LRT and the SSE don't need to be buried. Metrolinx does not, yet continues to write about how necessary it is for the OL.

What does this tell you about Metrolinx?

I'm arguing for putting the DRL underground because it makes sense given (first and foremost) the capacity requirements. I've made this very clear.

Transit experts would agree that the Eglinton West LRT and the SSE don't need to be buried. Metrolinx does not, yet continues to write about how necessary it is for the OL.

Yes it should be elevated, too bad this is what they made during the liberal era:
1606846648160.png

We can all agree that Scarborough and Eglinton W are a massive waste of money when less expensive viable alternatives exist, BUT rehashing these decisions is futile.

The City of Toronto and the TTC have favoured the all underground version of the SSE since 2013 and in 2017 even voted to make it a one stop underground subway. Metrolinx took over the project after Doug Ford annouced the Get Ontario moving initiatives in April of 2019. Why didn't the City of Toronto or the TTC propose other alternatives if they were so viable all those years they were in charge of planning for this line. Expecting Metrolinx to come in, in a year and propose another alternative considering the political hot potato this subway line is, is laughable.

Are you telling us Leslieville, Thorncliffe Park, and Flemo Park are "dense downtown" areas ?
I thought the latter 2 were always above ground. I was discussing the old City of Toronto.

Despite Metrolinx propaganda, they aren't going through Leslieville anymore, and are skirting the edge of it. I was thinking mostly of the West Donlands, East Harbour, Riverdale, and Liberty Village areas ... which are planned to be far denser than the McCowan/Danforth corridor from Ellesmere to Eglinton.

Back