From the above article:
View attachment 271266
I think the best thing that came out of this review is that the Osgoode and Queen station platform are not in the centre area between the two lines (City Hall focused). From the image, the Ontario Line's Osgoode platform is a lot to the west, which is good assuming there will be a secondary exit on the end. The Queen platform is good too because of the transfer potential.

The lack of a Cherry/Distillery station has perplexed me since the inception of this project...its even the background picture Metrolinx chose for their article

The Ontario Line will deliver subway access to Distillery District residents and visitors.
FFS! No it wont! WTF! The Corktown stop is super far away!

From link.

osgoodestation_comp.jpg

1. Reaching University Avenue, the Ontario Line connects customers to an array of shopping, dining and entertainment options, not to mention major employment centres in this area of downtown.

2. The station has been positioned to the west to improve customer transfers between Line 1 and the Ontario Line, making getting from point A to point B quick and convenient. Going to the Art Gallery of Ontario? Just take Line 1 one stop north and you’ll be there in no time. Heading to the Royal Ontario Museum? It’s just two stops further.

queenstation.png

1. The station at Queen Street and Yonge Street will make use of an underground cavern below Queen Street, built during construction of the first section of the Yonge Street subway. Due to the complexity of building directly under the existing Queen Station, Metrolinx is working closely with the City of Toronto and businesses to develop strategies to mitigate impacts during construction.

2. Shifting the stations at both Osgoode and Queen to be directly below and perpendicular to (or straddling) Line 1 will save customers time when transferring between the two lines. Another benefit of this positioning is to lessen the impact on existing utilities and any potentially disruptive, expensive and time-consuming relocations.

mossparkstation_comp.jpg

1. A station in the Moss Park area will be located on the edge of the park which reduces construction impacts on traffic and transit flow along Queen Street. After construction, the park area will be restored and returned to the city for programming or redevelopment.

2. Subway service in this area will help relieve congestion on the popular 501 Queen streetcar route. It will also provide better rapid transit access to people who depend on social service organizations in the area.

3. Students attending the George Brown College St. James Campus will have two choices for boarding the Ontario Line – a station in the area of Moss Park or a station in the neighbouring area of Corktown.

corktownstation.jpg

1. The station serving Corktown will be located to the east side of Berkeley Street at King Street East, with connections to several streetcar and bus routes nearby. Positioning the station to the east reduces costs and will speed up construction of the station and tunnels. Importantly, it also reduces community impacts by moving construction off the street. This station will provide customers with easy access to the historic Distillery District.

2. This area – currently home to large retail operations and a significant number of surface parking spots – is where the first two Parliament Buildings for Upper Canada were located, from 1797 to 1813 and 1820 to 1824. Archaeological assessments are currently being planned in advance of any potential use for the project. Metrolinx will work with the Ontario Heritage Trust, the City of Toronto, property owners, and community members to ensure any archaeological findings or historical features are properly documented or conserved and, where possible, made accessible for the public to learn more about. The important history of the land goes back much further than the first parliament buildings and Metrolinx is committed to working with Indigenous communities to better understand the important histories and rights of the peoples that have and continue to live in this area.

donyard.png

1. Just west of Cherry Street, the tunnels enter the GO corridor and begin to rise, exiting tunnel portals on the north and south sides of the GO tracks in the Don Yard.

2. Making use of the existing GO corridor means we can shrink our footprint and make efficient use of existing transit space, therefore minimizing impacts to surrounding communities and keeping costs down. The tunnel boring machines will end their digging through downtown here.

The lack of a Cherry/Distillery station has perplexed me since the inception of this project...its even the background picture Metrolinx chose for their article

While ideally I'd have the station right at Distillery, its still a fairly short walk away from the proposed location, so I think its fine. The Ontario Line probably needs space to resurface to the Don Yard so the location makes sense.

The Corktown station will, apparently, have an entrance at Front and Berkeley which is REALLY not far from The Distillery. I think less than 5 minutes from there to the Trinity Street entrance. Not adjacent but certainly not 'super far away".

According to Google Maps it is 300 meters away.

I imagine having the OL connect with the King Streetcar would prove more effective for the movement of passengers rather than having a stop right in the Distillery.

1600880919093.png

Hold on!

I've been there; much of the original platform space is now embedded in the existing station for movement from the NB to SB platforms.

That corridor is already congested in rush hours.

There is no room to offload full trains into that; you must be kidding me.

There is also insufficient room in those existing connection points (stairs and escalators)

You would need room to widen these by at least a factor of 2, quite possibly more.

Where's that room coming from?

View attachment 271341

Hold on!

I've been there; much of the original platform space is now embedded in the existing station for movement from the NB to SB platforms.

That corridor is already congested in rush hours.

There is no room to offload full trains into that; you must be kidding me.

There is also insufficient room in those existing connection points (stairs and escalators)

You would need room to widen these by at least a factor of 2, quite possibly more.

Where's that room coming from?

wait so am I correct in assuming that the pathway is actually a center platform ? I always wondered where the platform that everyone was talking about was in those pictures, I always just saw a dingy looking cavern I guess that makes sense.
to be fair though, it's not like they are going to use it as is. there will probably still be extensive construction on the station. however it's probably still cheaper to expand whats already there instead of building a whole new station.

wait so am I correct in assuming that the pathway is actually a center platform ? I always wondered where the platform that everyone was talking about was in those pictures, I always just saw a dingy looking cavern I guess that makes sense.
to be fair though, it's not like they are going to use it as is. there will probably still be extensive construction on the station. however it's probably still cheaper to expand whats already there instead of building a whole new station.

There are 2 connecting paths from the NB side to the SB side of Queen Stn.

One is inside the fare paid area, one is outside the fare paid area.

Both partially encroach on what would be platform space of any Queen subway.

They are side platforms.

There is some additional space beyond the locked doors but not a ton (given space for tracks).

The video I've linked above is with formed TTC CEO Andy Byford and Brad Ross and includes a section shot in Queen Lower; that begins at approx. the 2:55 mark.

This diagram shows how placement of the elevators at Queen , which don't encroach on prospective platform area; but the access corridors to them do.

1600882701910.png

The above is from: https://www.ttc.ca/Subway/Stations/Queen/Accessible_Alternative.jsp

Steve Munro concurs this will be a challenge.

He will have more to say on his blog later today.

Last edited:
There are 2 connecting paths from the NB side to the SB side of Queen Stn.

One is inside the fare paid area, one is outside the fare paid area.

Both partially encroach on what would be platform space of any Queen subway.

They are side platforms.

There is some additional space beyond the locked doors but not a ton (given space for tracks).

The video I've linked above is with formed TTC CEO Andy Byford and Brad Ross and includes a section shot in Queen Lower; that begins at approx. the 2:55 mark.

This diagram shows how placement of the elevators at Queen , which don't encroach on prospective platform area; but the access corridors to them do.

View attachment 271349

The above is from: https://www.ttc.ca/Subway/Stations/Queen/Accessible_Alternative.jsp

Steve Munro concurs this will be a challenge.

He will have more to say on his blog later today.
like I said the station will probably still have to have undergo a lot of construction to work around and expand upon what is there but I still think it's the better option

Steve Munro's comments are up on his blog.

His comments as they pertain to Queen Station:

Metrolinx says that this station will “make use of an underground cavern below Queen Street, built during construction of the first section of the Yonge Street subway”. In fact, that cavern is not very long, and is already occupied by assorted machinery in the portion that is not already used as an underpass between the northbound and southbound platforms.

There is also the matter of the capacity of vertical access between this area and the station above given the amount of transfer traffic likely at this location.

I have asked Metrolinx for clarification of the vertical arrangement at Queen Station.

Back