Steve Munro has also identified other issues including archeological ones by running the alignment directly under the First Parliament site and an apparent conflict between the tunnel portal approaching the Don River and the R-H line.

Okay then.......

Not on the 'engage' site where consultation is supposed to happen, but on their Blog.........Metrolinx has revealed they do not intend to run trains through Queen Lower.

They are intending the platform be underneath, and that the existing space become a new mezzanine.

This may be workable; though there will still be vertical access challenges.

Over the years, various plans to run streetcars through the downtown core under Queen have come and gone. Eventually, some of the space was used to run utility lines and underpass corridors.
This means that the Ontario Line will have to be drilled out of rock deeper below the PATH, but the plans unveiled today will still make use of the tunnelled sections below the TTC’s Queen subway station.
“We are envisioning that the old underground streetcar station will be reused to provide a convenient transfer for passengers between the Ontario Line and Line 1,” said Michael Tham, Metrolinx deputy technical director for the Ontario Line.

Okay then.......

Not on the 'engage' site where consultation is supposed to happen, but on their Blog.........Metrolinx has revealed they do not intend to run trains through Queen Lower.

They are intending the platform be underneath, and that the existing space become a new mezzanine.

This may be workable; though there will still be vertical access challenges.

Over the years, various plans to run streetcars through the downtown core under Queen have come and gone. Eventually, some of the space was used to run utility lines and underpass corridors.
This means that the Ontario Line will have to be drilled out of rock deeper below the PATH, but the plans unveiled today will still make use of the tunnelled sections below the TTC’s Queen subway station.
“We are envisioning that the old underground streetcar station will be reused to provide a convenient transfer for passengers between the Ontario Line and Line 1,” said Michael Tham, Metrolinx deputy technical director for the Ontario Line.

That would make sense from a foot-traffic standpoint too; it would be the middle between accessing each of queens platforms above.

That would make sense from a foot-traffic standpoint too; it would be the middle between accessing each of queens platforms above.

It would, though, you still face the vertical access challenge.

The existing mezzanines are at or over capacity.

So they will need to be enlarged somehow.

The Platforms and Tracks for Line 1 are directly under Yonge Street.

But I believe the mezzanines are directly under Queen.

That poses a problem of adjacent foundations in terms of finding space for more vertical access.

In fairness, this to M/L this was always going to be a challenge.

But it was one that was partially mitigated in the R/L design by having 'City Hall' station, and vertical access up and out not having to conflict with transfer access.

I will be interested to see their solutions.

Given they highlight that on their plans, presumably they don't conflict vertically. I can imagine that there is a lot they'd miss ... but that doesn't seem likely.

I don't think so either.

But the question of how that conflict is addressed in design, will have impacts that should be examined and weighed by the public.

The paucity of usable information from them is beyond irritating.

That was in an earlier proposal. Something has changed there, as with the new portal west of the Don, the Ontario Line is no longer going to go on a bridge - and therefore also won't have the promised cross-platform transfers to the Lakeshore line.

Going over the Don, was supposed to be a big part of making East Harbour to Gerrard station above-ground. Now that East Harbour will be underground (assuming there's still a station there) ... does this mean that they've also moved the track from East Harbour to Gerrard underground ... and presumably no longer alongside the Lakeshore line ... perhaps back to the old Carlaw alignment?

I am not sure why having a portal west of the Don lead to East Harbour being underground - I thought it is an enabling move to allow an underground OL in the core to an above ground alignment at East Harbour and beyond?

AoD

I am not sure why having a portal west of the Don lead to East Harbour being underground - I thought it is an enabling move to allow an underground OL in the core to an above ground alignment at East Harbour and beyond?
Absolutely right ... I've lost my mind! Deleting that post ... :)

Absolutely right ... I've lost my mind! Deleting that post ... :)

c1fce5fb804aedd68beebe39d4ebb1a6.jpeg

From link. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Is that SmartTrack coming 2021 sign still on the Unilever plant?
Pretty sure it was removed a while ago lol.

Also, wrt Queen Station vertical access, hopefully they add extra entrances at the east/west ends of the OL platforms, which would be a significant improvement.

Oh thank god they fixed the "Osgoode and Queen stations must both service City Hall because of the ego of City Council" plan that was the stupidest part of the Relief Line. Really like the improved alignments for both of them a lot more. Queen should actually be a reasonable transfer, and Osgoode always made more sense to me as a station that stretched out towards the shops on Queen West. Even if the rest of the planning around this line is a mess, that's a very welcome improvement.

Also I still wish they'd add a Cherry St station, Corktown to East Harbour is a decent gap, but I assume that's not happening since the tunnels are climbing to the surface in that section.

I'm glad that ML has some sense to move the station closer to the ground than to bury them deep deep away from civilization. BY the time you get down to those deep tube stations, you might as well taken the streetcar, especially if it is a short trip.

I'm glad that ML has some sense to move the station closer to the ground than to bury them deep deep away from civilization. BY the time you get down to those deep tube stations, you might as well taken the streetcar, especially if it is a short trip.

Try getting that through to angry Leslievillians who still want their stations underground, even though the geotechnical situation would've resulted in this monstrosity that was originally proposed at Gerrard. I've circled the four large escalators one would have to take to get from track level to ground level:

1600951864062.png

Back