The platforms on that Leslieville close-up diagram seem a lot longer than 100m (compared to the Gerrard diagram).

I eyeballed it on a map, looks like about 125m.

1601418344943.png

My guess is that the actual stopping area for trains will be fully south of Queen Street, and the part that extends over the road will be more for pedestrian access.

Attachments

• 1601418271310.png
    1601418271310.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 269
Hmmm, @smallspy and @crs need to comment; but I'm looking Queen Street and have trouble reconciling the math/suggestions of Mx.

I assume a track requires 3.5M.

They appear to be suggesting they can fit six tracks + platforms with little or no land take.

When I measure across, I get ~18M in the existing corridor. I get that they will add 2 new tracks on the outside of existing, based on their description.

But if each track adds 3.5M, plus parapet wall, that's what, another 7.5M already, so you're closing in on 26M w/o platforms, and w/o stairs/elevators up/down.

If you cut down every inch of vegetation on the embankments, I still can' tsee the corridor wider than ~40M which leaves me confused about how they wouldn't eat into adjacent parks or even buildings/streets.

Is my math off?

Last edited:
Reactions: syn
Since the platforms will be on the outside, the encroachment could be a cantilevered platform structure over an area or building.

My guess is that the actual stopping area for trains will be fully south of Queen Street, and the part that extends over the road will be more for pedestrian access.

That makes sense - like the pedestrian overpasses at Vancouver's Commercial Broadway Station.

I eyeballed it on a map, looks like about 125m.

View attachment 273055

If one believes I drew this line correctly (It appeared to me that the track begins 4 lots south of McCleary Playground on McGee.

The mapping program says 146M

1601420202900.png

Also, in respect of the egress, unless the rules are more relaxed for outdoor stations, there are supposed to be 2 completely independent exits from a platform for the purposes of evacuation.

In any event, if they met the threshold of trains ever 90s, they need stations to see super quick exits from passengers or you'll never have room.

Once question is whether there will be separate station houses for each platform or will there be one station house on the former railway station site on De Grassi and a tunnel through the embankment or overhead over the tracks to the eastbound platform. That would eliminate the need for a station house next to the Jimmie Simpson Rec Centre.
As for egress, gated emergency exits have a small footprint.

My guess is that there will not be any access to the south side of Queen from the platforms due to encroachment onto the playground. Passengers would have to exit the station and use a crosswalk at De Grassi to get to eastbound streetcars.

i.e. this could be a possible station layout, with station house in red, red arrow being a passage under (or over) GO tracks,
OL tracks in orange and platforms in yellow (not to scale!). Each 'E' could be emergency exits down to public space.

1S57KJX.png

Last edited:
^ Doesn't there need to be a fourth track for GO in that image you've marked up? I only see the two orange lines for the Ontario Line.

Once question is whether there will be separate station houses for each platform or will there be one station house on the former railway station site on De Grassi and a tunnel through the embankment or overhead over the tracks to the eastbound platform. That would eliminate the need for a station house next to the Jimmie Simpson Rec Centre.
As for egress, gated emergency exits have a small footprint.

My guess is that there will not be any access to the south side of Queen from the platforms due to encroachment onto the playground. Passengers would have to exit the station and use a crosswalk at De Grassi to get to eastbound streetcars.

i.e. this could be a possible station layout, with station house in red, red arrow being a passage under (or over) GO tracks,
OL tracks in orange and platforms in yellow (not to scale!). Each 'E' could be emergency exits down to public space.

1S57KJX.png
Metrolinx could technically just take the playground.

I strongly suspect that picture is inaccurate and needs to be republished or something. It shows the line going directly over Strange St and through the Fontbonne Ministries building.

That doesn't match this picture, which looks significantly more in line with what Metrolinx said in their blog post today.
View attachment 273040

I really hope that station can be called Strange station. De Grassi would be good too, but Strange is too awesome to miss out on

I really hope that station can be called Strange station. De Grassi would be good too, but Strange is too awesome to miss out on

I don't know............if one is going to indulge kitsch.................

Maybe the station should look like the facade of 'DeGrassi Junior High'.

Inside should be murals of the cast.

There better be a statue of Drake there.

LOL, how young are you?

Not sure I count his generation as being part of DeGrassi.

Yes, yes, the latest knock-off.....not so recent now...

LOL, how young are you?

Not sure I count his generation as being part of DeGrassi.

Yes, yes, the latest knock-off.....not so recent now...
I may be in my early 30s, but most people would associate any incarnation of DeGrassi with Drake, even if those incarnations were before Drake's time (and even before Drake was born).

Last edited:
Good Lord that Metrolinx blog post was borderline propaganda. Only in their world is an increase of $2-4 Billion "a slightly higher cost". Aside from that, it's good to see they're able to fit so much into the existing corridor, but at the same time, they're definitely trying to avoid talking about what is going to have to be demolished. Also they really should have shown all 4 GO tracks on the map, because right now it's confusing to imagine how it's all going to fit together. The blog post says an additional track is being added for GO, so why not show that in the diagrams?

All that said, I am happy to see they're adding pedestrian crossings with the Lower Don bridge, I kinda expected them to cheap out on that.

Back