Corrections:
Jan 2015 - The partnership between the public government was announced
April 2016 - The REM was announced publicly
June 2016 - Request for qualification starts
Jan 2018 - tender process ends
April 2018 construction groundbreaking
Dec 2020 train and door testing starts on the 3.5km 'representative segment'
There was construction long before the Caisse became involved. To use a local example, that's like trying to claim 407 construction didn't take place until 1990/91 when 407 ETR was formed, when work had actually started in 1987 as a traditional highway.

What we can agree on though, is that surface/overhead is very much faster than underground - with the REM LRT approaching the same kind of construction speeds we've seen here on the SRT, Finch West LRT, and Union-Pearson spur. SRT was indeed 1980s, but the other two are both 21st century and faster.

There was construction long before the Caisse became involved. To use a local example, that's like trying to claim 407 construction didn't take place until 1990/91 when 407 ETR was formed, when work had actually started in 1987 as a traditional highway.

What we can agree on though, is that surface/overhead is very much faster than underground - with the REM LRT approaching the same kind of construction speeds we've seen here on the SRT, Finch West LRT, and Union-Pearson spur. SRT was indeed 1980s, but the other two are both 21st century and faster.

What sections started construction (not design) before 2018? Other than the Champlain Bridge (which almost had bus lanes instead) I can't think of any other actual construction? I guess they could have started prefabricating columns etc. But I have no info on that.

What sections started construction (not design) before 2018? Other than the ...
Other than the bit they started constructing before 2018?

That's an entire separate span that the LRT is using on the bridge, and it was designed as LRT from day one. There was some talk of putting buses on there at one point after construction had started, though it was never designed for it, and doesn't even seem wide enough.

AMT had been studying LRT on the replacement bridge for decades. And in 2013, the government started serious planning of LRT - https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-opts-for-lrt-on-new-champlain-bridge-1.1245706

I'm not sure why we are getting so much revisionist history that seems to ignore the decades of planning that have gone into the REM line, with some Torontonians wanting to pass a fiction that only Toronto spends a long time making decisions, and then builds things slowly!

Other than the bit they started constructing before 2018?

That's an entire separate span that the LRT is using on the bridge, and it was designed as LRT from day one. There was some talk of putting buses on there at one point after construction had started, though it was never designed for it, and doesn't even seem wide enough.

AMT had been studying LRT on the replacement bridge for decades. And in 2013, the government started serious planning of LRT - https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-opts-for-lrt-on-new-champlain-bridge-1.124`5706

I'm not sure why we are getting so much revisionist history that seems to ignore the decades of planning that have gone into the REM line, with some Torontonians wanting to pass a fiction that only Toronto spends a long time making decisions, and then builds things slowly!
"Studying" does not mean building. We should know a thing or two about that being on the Ontario/Relief Line thread page 1100. But seeing that the Quebec gov did plan provisions for an LRT on the bridge does show that they did start building something related to the project. So you are right about that.

I would never try to say that they built a much rapid transit in Montreal before 2018. But it is an undeniable fact that they have started building to what could be a huge transit building boom.

I would never try to say that they built a much rapid transit in Montreal before 2018. But it is an undeniable fact that they have started building to what could be a huge transit building boom.
They certainly are advancing! Certainly no where near the number of projects going on here of course - but given how little they've started since Drapeau left, and how little the province has been involved previously (though one can argue the province taking control of Metro expansion in the 1980s, is what killed it).

Please do NOT use the turnback terminal operations as used in Line 1 and Line 2. We've seen trains having to wait before entering the terminal station.

From link.

met-ops-terminal.gif

They could have used loops, but unlikely to be used for the Ontario Line.
met-ops-loop.gif

In Montréal and other cities, they use a reversing track located beyond the terminal station.
met-ops-siding.gif

The latter is the used in such places as Paris Metro and Tokyo Underground and London.

Using the pinched loop, would allow passengers to egress, doors close, train moves into the reversing track, change directions, and move back onto the other side of the terminal station to continue its journey. With ATO, any security guards can wait or change at the terminal platforms.

I think a more realistic completion date for this Ontario line project would be 2032 or 2033 rather than the anticipated date of 2030 from the Ontario government (assuming if they break ground in 2023), reason is because construction for projects (especially transit projects) in North America tend to be very slow and are delayed and over budget compared to Asia and Europe.

real life examples are the Line 1 subway extension to Vaughan (TYSSE) 2009-2017 for a subway line that is 8.6 km long and the Eglinton Crosstown (Line 5) 2011-2022? (If it doesn’t get delayed any further) for a 19km partially underground LRT line.

I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case.

All of the changes and new legislature that were supposed to speed up the construction of transit don't seem to be working very well, at least when it comes to the OL.

It doesn't seem like much has changed, unless the projects are in areas Ford benefits politically from.

Please do NOT use the turnback terminal operations as used in Line 1 and Line 2. We've seen trains having to wait before entering the terminal station.
Just bad practice/timekeeping - Brixton on the Victoria line in London shows how 30tph+ can be achieved with the turnback terminal operations you describe.
As the Ontario Line will use Unattended Train Operation, they should be okay.

Attachments

• 1611174647333.png
    1611174647333.png
    629.4 KB · Views: 217
Also, Gerard-Carlaw has been dropped as a Smart Track Station (I believe it could have interchanged with the OL station?)
That came out in one of the Metrolinx public Ontario Line meetings ... which must have been a year or more ago, as there haven't been any in-person meetings for almost a year!

Apparently Metrolinx has started expropriating the lands for Corktown station. From the city, which is a little weird, but what about this project isn't?

So as far as ive heard there was a deal between the city and the province for the province to give back the land to the city for a libray or something once the Ontario line was complete. guess Metrolinx must have changed their minds and need full control of the area.
This is the area in question
1611204598718.png

So as far as ive heard there was a deal between the city and the province for the province to give back the land to the city for a libray or something once the Ontario line was complete. guess Metrolinx must have changed their minds and need full control of the area.
This is the area in question View attachment 295321

A deal with the Government of Ontario isn't worth the paper its printed on :)

Last edited:

Back