That may be a station where the elevator is actually a part of the regular fastest way in/out of the Ontario line level, so long as it is waiting there at the level you want to transfer off from and you don't have to recall it from far away.
Ideally, there are more than two, they're spacious and high speed elevators.

My guess is that the escalators are alligned to minimize conflicts with Line 1 crowds so they allign with and prioritize access to the exits to the street
(to minimize common corridors with Line 1 crowds).
The level below the Line 1 Queen platforms could be a transfer level to access Line 1 platforms without conflicting with exitting Line 1 crowds.
I suppose the void area is just a consequence of the depth of the tunnel required to pass below other subsurface structures under Queen St. (PATH passages and utilities). The void area seems to be centred on Yonge St., maybe to minimize construction work near/below the intersection.

Xhh6osb.png

Just to add one note here for people.

The level you currently use at Queen St. Station, to get from the SB to the NB side and vice versa, is, in essence the platform level for the Queen Street subway (likely streetcar subway) that was constructed at the same time as the original station, as it was thought at the time that an E-W line was likely to run under Queen.

You may have noted that there are in fact, 2 different passages, one to the north, and one the south.

The void in the middle is where the tunnel and space for the tracks are (there are no tracks)

What you need to realize though is that track level is below platform level.

This image below is from BlogTo:

1633988882277.png

Credit: BlogTo

You can see the little yellow stair case in the distance, that takes you up to the level you are on when you walk under the Line 1 tracks.

The new line is being built below this.

I take it they need come in a certain minimum distance underneath; and in any event, they probably require significant ceiling clearances under the fire code.

Beyond that I'm not sure why the box is exactly where it is; there will be people here more expert than I on such things.

Just thought I would share that the above is likely a part of the story.

Did we know this previously?:

View attachment 354275
Also, is this referring the Pusateri's? Or to a level lower down that is not public?

Now to follow up on this:

I have made inquiries.

While I have yet to ascertain exactly where the work will take place.........

I have found out that, Hudson's Bay company has not one, but two sub-basement levels under the lowest retail level.

It would be my impression (but I have not confirmed) that Mx is looking at going into and out of its work area via the lowest sub-basement level of HBC.

Maybe the big white space will be Doug Ford's underground survival bunker?
But that would be under poor transit users, which is s c a r y!

As for the platform layouts, I agree - that's 3 escalators to Line 1, and 4(5?) to the surface. I would compare this line to the Sepulveda Line in LA - it's a line that funnels people from the East End to Downtown and back, with lots of transfers - they need to be easy to use. However, I can't see a way to get people to the surface without a super-wide tunnel with two escalators side by side (which would be super expensive, eyballing it, it seems that the platform would need to either be 4 escalators wide or be longer and 2 escalators wide) or lots of elevators, in which case, power failure = people stuck.

Another solution would use less escalators, but might make transfers harder - build a long cavern (like in Chicago on the State St and Milwaukee-Dearborn subways) down the center from Queen to Osgoode Station, and have the two stations use a single mezzanine, but that would be very congested, and might be as expensive as the wide-cavern proposal.

... a quick measure on google earth shows the Moss Park station box is just a tad over 200m too. It does seem like they are protecting for some kind of platform extension in the far future.
Might just be for a crossover or more likely a pocket track. That would be hard to build at Yonge. Who knows at this point

At this point, why not prioritize high-speed elevators instead of escalators? It would save time and make transfer less annoying.
Barcelona uses a similar system for their Line 9.

I'd imagine a system of three high speed, high capacity elevators could be synchronized such that there is always at least one elevator available at the platform and concourse levels, which would minimize the time spent waiting for the elevators.

At this point, why not prioritize high-speed elevators instead of escalators? It would save time and make transfer less annoying.
Could be that passenger volumes at this station would be too high for elevators only. Escalators may take longer to exit the station, but will clear platforms faster and require smaller holding areas than elevators.

I feel like it'll end up like Sheppard. A lot of development went up but the subway ridership hasn't even raise 1% in 2 decades. I really hope that will not turn out to be the case. At least there's a lot more potential on Yonge than the TYSSE.
Sheppard subway ridership has actually grown quite significantly since it’s opening from my understanding, though it is obviously still quite low.

Sheppard subway ridership has actually grown quite significantly since it’s opening from my understanding, though it is obviously still quite low.

Pre-pandemic, Sheppard was at capacity during rush-hours, based on currently available rolling stock. (5 minute headway).

There is obviously latent demand for additional service; though how much is not entirely know-able.

But this is part of the reason the TTC is looking at going to full length platforms (remembering that Sheppard trains are currently 4-car due to the shortened platform length)

Its my understanding that the work in question is likely to occur, and likely to be tagged to the first phase of Sheppard expansion (so, still a few years off)

Maybe TTC’s ridership numbers are wrong all these years. Capacity on the line only increased slightly with the introduction of TRs. Otherwise it’s the same headway they always operate on.

Indeed, but my understanding is that those trains got busier. The TRs did also give a slight capacity boost.

Again, the line didn’t explode in daily ridership, but I believe it slowly ticked up over the years from what I recall. Not anything crazy but more than 1%.

Indeed, but my understanding is that those trains got busier. The TRs did also give a slight capacity boost.

Again, the line didn’t explode in daily ridership, but I believe it slowly ticked up over the years from what I recall. Not anything crazy but more than 1%.
Didn't Sheppard ridership grow about 40% over 15 years?
https://outline.com/mYuT4h

Back