News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Just an outsider looking in; bottlenecks have many causes but I'm not sure track capacity is a major one.

So long as they are in the same right of way, a major derailment will inevitably block both tracks.

I would argue roads are subject to weather disruption much more than rail.
With double track, those trains can pass each other going both directions.

Logistics folks say it's about 44 hours for a truck to move from Vancouver to Toronto. The railways say '4-5 days'. I can't argue with either of those numbers. A bit of a difference but not huge.

I assume both carriers still have priority trains.
44 hours is just under 2 days,. It should not be faster to drive freight across Canada.especially with weather and traffic.

With double track, those trains can pass each other going both directions.
Provided the derailment doesn't foul both tracks.

44 hours is just under 2 days,
Ya, bad late night math. I can't really attest to either number. Seasonality has an impact. Both 11 and 17 have been closed for weather multiple times this winter. I realize they can run through the US, provided your load and company allows it, and you make the decision early enough. Cold weather can impact the length and speed of trains.

Provided the derailment doesn't foul both tracks.
I meant that after the derailment is cleared. Tha tmeans that the backlog is cleared faster.

Ya, bad late night math. I can't really attest to either number. Seasonality has an impact. Both 11 and 17 have been closed for weather multiple times this winter. I realize they can run through the US, provided your load and company allows it, and you make the decision early enough. Cold weather can impact the length and speed of trains.
I saw a time last winter where 11,17 and 144 was closed.The only highway open at that time was the 129 between Thessalon and Chapleau. And it was closed a good 12+ hours.

Regardless,I feel this topic has been fleshed out. I know nothing will come of it. I just hope things are timed well on the Bqla sub to allow the Northlander not to be the one in a siding.

To be fair, I feel the entire length of the CN and CP mainlines across Canada should be double track by now.
Even along the Bala there are some very difficult terrain such as lakes, rock cuts and high embankments. The cost for the bala would be astronomical. Then add that cost for the Ruel, Caramat, Allanwater and Redditt subdivision and thats just to double track to Winnipeg.

Even along the Bala there are some very difficult terrain such as lakes, rock cuts and high embankments. The cost for the bala would be astronomical. Then add that cost for the Ruel, Caramat, Allanwater and Redditt subdivision and thats just to double track to Winnipeg.
I understand the terrain and understand the costs. I also know it won't happen without government funding.

Did anyone get pictures of the presentation?

You might get in touch with ONR and ask for them yourself - and possibly sign up for their mailing list - details here

- Paul

Back