News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

1637599270951.png

That's a big election promise right there (technically not fulfilled), but people have seen it. Damn, they seemed to be playing this pre-election real good. At this rate I think a majority will be a no brainer

That's a big election promise right there (technically not fulfilled), but people have seen it. Damn, they seemed to be playing this pre-election real good. At this rate I think a majority will be a no brainer

Lets hope not, shall we?

I'd assume that the plan is to reinstate service before the election. Which seems to be a lot faster than the study indicated - presumably a ministerial directive.

Other than the Timmins and Cochrane seats, don't they already have all of the others this line runs through?

I'd assume that the plan is to reinstate service before the election. Which seems to be a lot faster than the study indicated - presumably a ministerial directive.

The fact that they are waiting till the 11th hour to bring it back, just prior to an election speaks to the fact that they using this to win the election along the line.

Other than the Timmins and Cochrane seats, don't they already have all of the others this line runs through?

The NDP are gaining ground in Nipissing. This could be a way for Vic to secure his win.

The train used to do the entire round trip within 24 hours. They want it to do that again.
No they don't. They want to run overnight service in both directions. And nighttime only happens once per day.

All but one of the 6 options provided in the initial business case include:
• A southbound trip with a nighttime departure from Timmins or Cochrane, arriving in North Bay by early
morning and arriving in Toronto by late morning; and
• A northbound trip with an evening departure from Toronto, arriving in North Bay around midnight and
arriving in Timmins or Cochrane by early morning.
Northeastern Passenger Rail Service Initial Business Case, Page 25

The only exception is Option 4: Daytime service, which operates during the day in both directions, and thus also cannot complete a round trip in 24 hours.

Option 3: Twice Daily service does include a train which does a round trip within 24 hours, but only between Toronto and North Bay.
Under Option 3, an additional trip per day will be introduced in each direction on the Northeastern Rail Corridor.
Additional passenger amenities will also be provided, similar to Option 2.
The service to North Bay would also provide:
• A northbound trip departing Toronto in the morning and arriving in North Bay by early afternoon; and
• A southbound trip departing North Bay in the late afternoon and arriving in Toronto at night.
Northeastern Passenger Rail Service Initial Business Case, Page 25

However, that option does not score well, because a daytime train would not be competitive against ONTC's own bus services, let alone driving, and it increases the infrastructure costs due to increased passing track requirements.

Besides, the one-way travel time to Timmins or Cochrane is estimated at 12h20, which would already be a 25-hour round trip before even counting the layovers required at both ends of the route.
Six options contemplate providing rail service along the route between Toronto and Timmins. Based on past service
times, it is estimated that extension of the service to Timmins adds approximately 6 hours and 15 minutes, plus a
30 minute layover in North Bay, for a total additional journey time of 6 hours and 45 minutes. This would result in
an estimated 12 hour and 20 minute in-vehicle journey time between Timmins and Toronto
Northeastern Passenger Rail Service Initial Business Case, Page 23 (emphasis added)

Given what we've seen with the London GO service and Niagara weekday GO service, the provincial government is perfectly happy to introduce a train service with zero infrastructure investment, providing a service which is too slow to be useful to anyone. I wouldn't put it past them to run a Toronto-Cochrane service which takes 24 hours one way if that's how long it takes on the current tracks.

Last edited:

Back