News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Having said I don't the Cochrane extension, having looked at the BCA and timings, I think the idea IS at least partially to enable a Polar Bear connection, with the idea that the facilities at Cochrane are extensive enough and the change in duty hours manageable enough that they might as well move the train in any case, and deadheading wouldn't really save anything.

Having said I don't the Cochrane extension, having looked at the BCA and timings, I think the idea IS at least partially to enable a Polar Bear connection, with the idea that the facilities at Cochrane are extensive enough and the change in duty hours manageable enough that they might as well move the train in any case, and deadheading wouldn't really save anything.
What is the business case for it?

What is the business case for it?
It doesn't make that much sense to me, I'm reading intent into the operations plan proposed in the BCA.

But given the highlight, I'll clarify what I think might have been lost... They seem to think that having the layover in Cochrane is more desirable than Porcupine, and given that there's not much reason not to carry passengers on what would otherwise be a deadhead leg.

It doesn't make that much sense to me, I'm reading intent into the operations plan proposed in the BCA.

But given the highlight, I'll clarify what I think might have been lost... They seem to think that having the layover in Cochrane is more desirable than Porcupine, and given that there's not much reason not to carry passengers on what would otherwise be a deadhead leg.
Presumably the political realities demand Timmins be the terminus though, rather than have an RDC shuttle or something

Contrary to previous information from Siemens, it looks like the ONTC order was indeed tacked onto VIA’s.
Commercially (i.e. in terms of contractual commitments), it certainly is a different, independent order. Logistically (i.e. in terms of train design and production schedule), it indeed seems as if Siemens produces 3 additional trainsets from the VIA production line, just only with 3 cars each and painted in a different colour…

Commercially (i.e. in terms of contractual commitments), it certainly is a different, independent order. Logistically (i.e. in terms of train design and production schedule), it indeed seems as if Siemens produces 3 additional trainsets from the VIA production line, just only with 3 cars each and painted in a different colour…
That’ll make Rapido and other model train makers happy. One mold, just change stickers.

$10.5 million from the province and the feds for:

rehabilitation of key rail infrastructure to improve the usable life of the track and support Huron Central Railway Inc. in sustaining operations as a viable freight service between Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury. Improving railway infrastructure will increase the fluidity and reliability of rail service for Northern Ontario while reducing the travel time of railcar traffic.

This investment will have important benefits for the region, such as increasing carload volumes in commodity sectors, relieving ongoing supply chain congestion, and improving the reliability of rail service in Northern Ontario.

$10.5 million from the province and the feds for:
ONR should acquire the OVR and HCR.If we are going to invest in it, we should have some control of it.

ONR should acquire the OVR and HCR.If we are going to invest in it, we should have some control of it.

Genesee and Wyoming are the Walmart of railways - for a business model and product quality that everyone disparages, they sure move a lot of product at a pretty impressive price.

Hopefully the subsidy has been derived from a condition assessment and there is a contractual obligation to maintain the line to a defined standard of good repair.

The deal requires G+W to contribute a certain amount to upkeep, and the government contribution matches that. it's likely the cheapest and most pragmatic way to keep the line running at an optimal level for current and potential freight business. If you are dreaming of something beyond that - the public investment would be much higher, and I wonder whether there would be a return on that..

- Paul

Genesee and Wyoming are the Walmart of railways - for a business model and product quality that everyone disparages, they sure move a lot of product at a pretty impressive price.

Hopefully the subsidy has been derived from a condition assessment and there is a contractual obligation to maintain the line to a defined standard of good repair.

The deal requires G+W to contribute a certain amount to upkeep, and the government contribution matches that. it's likely the cheapest and most pragmatic way to keep the line running at an optimal level for current and potential freight business. If you are dreaming of something beyond that - the public investment would be much higher, and I wonder whether there would be a return on that..

- Paul

There is always the threat that these lines are going to shut down. That doesn't help draw business to the line long term.

Governments commit funds to all sorts of enterprises without having a need to claim ownership. Short of expropriation, and I fail to see a compelling public benefit for state ownership here, a transaction needs both a willing seller and buyer. If I understand the G&W business model, they expect each shortline to stand on its own financials. I'm actually quite surprised that the OVR has maintained profitability since loosing the CP bridge traffic down the Valley but I guess there is enough mine business from the Sudbury area and mill business from Temiscaming that makes it work.

There is always the threat that these lines are going to shut down. That doesn't help draw business to the line long term.
I'm not sure I've ever heard much talk about the future of the OVR. HCR, yes. Beyond the steel plant and a bit of petroleum traffic in The Soo, Domtar in Espanola and EACOM in Nairn Centre,, and knowing the economy along the north shore, I'm not sure what other traffic could be drawn to the line.

Last edited:

Back