8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The Condo Observer

Member Bio
Reaction score
I admit its not an easy topic to narrow. My question is not about evaluating the architectural design of any particular project, but rather about evaluating the final built product as a user/ visitor/ UD critic...-

Quality of the Interior Finishes (Common Areas and units)
Quality of the Workmansip
Feedback on the M and E systems - Heating, Cooling, Other

So far my impression of the Builders based on a few of many projects visted:

Cresford - Above Average based on Thornwood.
Context - Average based on Radio City, Above Average based on Loretto.
Tridel - Above Average based on Polo 1
Monarch _ Below Average based on a couple Merton St Projects.

I don't think its necessarily about the developer, but rather a function of the contractor, developer, design team etc etc. Tridel, for example, appears to lead in reputation, but is this justified?

So I guess its sort of an unsystematic ranking of "reputation" that I am seeking, based on user experiences. No definitive conclusions are expected.

Please qualify your responses accordingly.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're asking the right question. The developers aren't really directly related to the trades, and there's many other things that come into play that influence final build results. It would be a little more accurate to talk about various subtrades, in my opinion. So, which companies put up good as opposed to crappy window wall. Or which companies do proper mechanical installations.

Of course this is a little bit harder to get into unless someone's really into following construction, since the subtrades don't get the same prominence of the general contractors and the developer. But then once you start looking at subtrades you start getting into other interesting questions, like cost, reliability of delivery, union vs non-union shops, fabricators vs installers, and other such concerns.

That said, you don't really tend to see butchery on a large scale because the only way a company can get bonding to secure the big contracts is to have a proven track record. And since there's a limited number of available companies filling every niche you end up seeing the same contractors working on both Context and Cresford sites, for example. That's the other reason workmanship is going to be fairly consistent workmanship across developers.

Now, if you want to see scary stuff you need to go into subdivisions and small infill projects, where numbered fly-by-night companies tend to be the rule rather then the exception.

i would like to rant about Conservatory Group - Below average (Platinum XO), don't think the quality can get any lower. :mad:

I believe the built quality tends to be higher/more consistent if the company is big enough to have their own contruction team on staff ... which explains far and few complaints on Tridel's built quality as their construction divison (Deltera) is overlooks the construction of Tridel projects

On the other hand, I'm a little suprised Monarch is rated low, because like Tridel, Monarch too has its own in house construction staff which is known for quality work, that is why subdivision houses by Monarch tend to be priced $50k-$75k higher than other builders in the same subdivision ... from what I have heard (through residents) and seen, ZIP, Carrington, 21 Hillcrest, Aqua, Kensington, and Explorer @ Waterview ... a high quality standard was observed ... I can't say for Domain (only project on Merton by Monarch)

Back