IMO they will offload. They have the Richmond and Churchhill project to complete and this would be magnitudes bigger than anything they have done before. Their 2023 Q4 report will be out in about a month and we can see if they provide timeline updates. As of the Q3 report in November they had no planned completion date for this project (2027 for Churchhill/Richmond).
This is the ideal scenario. If they can offload it to a big developer ready to go all in and bring these bad boys up, that is all we need and then we'll have Ottawa's tallest finally soar in the skyline, which will look even better when all the towers between it and the CBD go up.
I mean...I want to see it go up, but not with the current design. The last thing we need is 50/60 story Charcoal brick towers imho.

View attachment 539345
It's not perfect and it has regressed so like Westbro said, if it sells then hopefully we can updated better renderings with better quality. We just need one developer to just say eff it and go for it with the earlier higher quality renders. The approvals are already there!!

I remember this looking more like reflective hotel component of ICE in edmochuk. Which was pretty by the book, non world changing as it was. Why is this looking super subdued rote brick and glass. If they’re the tallest shouldn’t we be asking for a teeny weeny modicum of punch and pop 🤷‍♂️?

Another day of no news

DJI_0138-HDR.jpg

Nothing new (completion date TBD) in Interrents 2023 reports. It looks like they have zero intention on moving on this for the next 10 years, Frankly, I think they are just going to either dump the whole thing or bring in a new partner who takes the majority stake (maybe as a part of the Sens redev?)

Best case on seeing anything here is they sell as this is quite obviously too big for them to manage.

This quote from their Q4 MD&A is telling... (emphasis mine)
The REIT continues to work with its partner and external consultants to develop detailed design plans in order to deliver an offering that reflects not only the current needs of the market but also incorporates concepts and technologies to ensure its continued relevance as rental housing needs continue to evolve. Management continues to monitor, and is encouraged by, the redevelopment progress in the broader LeBreton Flats area. A study of the contemplated residential, office, and retail mix is underway to optimize the layout of the site relative to current market conditions to maximize potential value.

I haven't been paying attention to this one at all for many years. I sincerely hope they don't build anything much lower than what was approved, because not only would that be disappointing from our perspective as urban enthusiast, but it would also represent a massive loss in value of the site. It would be an extremely stupid decision.

Really hoping they decide to sell to a developer who can handle a project of such magnitude.

Sell to someone else and move on. This is such a prime location, we deserve to see progress on it. I understand revisiting or waiting on the office component (given the current market conditions), but surprising they wouldn't at least build in phases and start with 1 rental tower first.

I really REALLY hope they sell it to a big time developer from Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal. Please just get someone who can actually build it to build it... this would create such a huge impact to our city... we shouldn't have to wait another 10 years to see this go up... this and The Sky have been the biggest letdowns for such great projects.

I really REALLY hope they sell it to a big time developer from Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal. Please just get someone who can actually build it to build it... this would create such a huge impact to our city... we shouldn't have to wait another 10 years to see this go up... this and The Sky have been the biggest letdowns for such great projects.
I often ponder which project will become Ottawa's first skyscraper, usually defined as 150m+

900 Albert...Sky...or something else entirely.

I often ponder which project will become Ottawa's first skyscraper, usually defined as 150m+

900 Albert...Sky...or something else entirely.
We did get a nice surprise from Brigil with the greyhound development, unfortunately it was so close to being our tallest.

I will love to see that one go up. But yeah... it's a who is even gonna come close to starting between this or The Sky.... which is so unfortunate because both towers would be perfect additions to their direct areas (stations) and our skyline.

I am most hopeful for a Senators arena spurring huge development in that area. Honestly I think this lot and the damn city bayview yards area should all be done in more or less one giant big bang of urbanism. But unfortunately our city, province, feds and developers always think so smol.

I am most hopeful for a Senators arena spurring huge development in that area. Honestly I think this lot and the damn city bayview yards area should all be done in more or less one giant big bang of urbanism. But unfortunately our city, province, feds and developers always think so smol.
I would love to see something like Potzdamer Platz at Bayview

Back