News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Pman
Winters is some what a down time in terms of the market etc alot more people then the picutres show but still not all that packed however the summer is a different story as alot more people are in the market and so on.

The Market is bustling all the time, downtown (especially Sparks Street) is pretty dead except during business hours. What you see in these photos is almost entirely 9-5 office buildings and these photos were taken on the weekend. The exception is when there is some event going on, like Canada Day or a visit by the Queen. These streets are completely packed on those occasions.

Ottawa's been pretty busy with development lately. Minto, Claridge and Richcraft have launched multiple condo projects within the Greenbelt, and ofcourse the lightrail construction is moving along.

Some shots from Portage Bridge:

PC235095s.jpg

PC235098s.jpg

Attachments

• PC235095s.jpg
    PC235095s.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 323
  • PC235098s.jpg
    PC235098s.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 317
I love Ottawa thanks for posting these wonderful photos! :)
Thanks for the photos, flar.

Here is an example of why Ottawa/Canada has a long way to go in the architectural grandeur department compared to the United States:

pano7.jpg

Now, here we have what could have been a wonderful early 20th Century building. Unfortunately, the pediment has been redecorated to become a po-mo parody of itself and the cornice - which was probably once rather ornate - has been shorn off and replaced with some aluminum siding. If this building were in some two-bit American city like Tulsa or Harrisburg, you could be pretty confident that both the base and the crown of this building would be intact.

It's a shame that the glass building going up on the right sort of pulls focus away from the view of the Parliament Buildings. If ever a view corridor should be considered significant - nay sacred - i would have thought it would be here!

It's a shame that the glass building going up on the right sort of pulls focus away from the view of the Parliament Buildings. If ever a view corridor should be considered significant - nay sacred - i would have thought it would be here!

There's no glass building going up on the right in the photos above. If you're referring to where the crane is with scaffolding, that is around the tower of the West Block of Parliament, which is being repaired and renovated.

And believe me, the NCC (National Capital Commission - in charge of certain aspects of planning in Ottawa) does consider that view corridor rather sacred. It's THE reason why buildings in downtown Ottawa are no taller than 30 stories, and mostly are much less.

Last edited:

Back