News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Thanks MisterF and Hydrogen.

I actually knew most of the rest of the story, but I selectively pulled this out to engage in my version of satire about two aspects of Canadian politics for which I have only dealt with one on this board to date - the Monarchy.

I guess I missed that Zephyr. But then I was posting at something like three in the morning after a pleasant evening and some nice wine. I'm surprised that my post was so coherent.

As for Gatineau (or the part of it that was once called Hull), it was redeveloped in the 70's, wherein whatever character there was in the downtown fell to make way for the lovely federal brutalist complexes that are there now. I never saw what was there before, but needless to say there are still paper mills along the river. Apparently they are to disappear eventually. Today, Gatineau is a broad mixture of dowdy and sprawl, with a nice small beach along the Ottawa River and the very nice Gatineau Park. I guess I'm not doing the place any justice.

Hull always had a poor little brother relationship with Ottawa. Nevertheless, a considerable number of federal government offices are now located there. And it should go without saying that politics plays a big role in this (at every level).

Gatineau is an amalgamation of the former municipalities of Gatineau, Hull Aylmer, Buckingham and Masson-Angers.

A good Spacing Wire post about Gatineau can be found here:

The 1970 Architectural Concept

Back