DSCN3132.jpg

DSCN3133.jpg

DSCN3134.jpg

"Train" Transitway Station.
DSCN3135.jpg

DSCN3136.jpg

DSCN3137.jpg

DSCN3138.jpg

Old CBC H.Q. (now federal offices of some sort).
DSCN3139.jpg

Canada Post H.Q.
DSCN3140.jpg

Carlton University.
DSCN3141.jpg

An Italian Pub?
DSCN3142.jpg

Breakfast at Dow's Lake
DSCN3144.jpg

And the 8-hour bike ride begins along the Rideau Canal...
DSCN3145.jpg

DSCN3148.jpg

Frank Clair Stadium at Lansdowne Park
DSCN3149.jpg

DSCN3151.jpg

DSCN3152.jpg

Aberdeen Pavillion (National Historic Site) at Lansdowne Park
DSCN3150.jpg

Rideau Canal (cont.)
DSCN3154.jpg

University of Ottawa (from the canal)...
DSCN3156.jpg

DSCN3158.jpg

Chateau Laurier / DND (from the canal)
DSCN3157.jpg

New pedestrian bridge over the canal.
DSCN3159.jpg

Three post-card views...
DSCN3160.jpg

DSCN3161.jpg

DSCN3164.jpg

"Campus" transitway station.
DSCN3162.jpg

I can't remember what this is, but it's a new office/institutional building near (or possibly at) the University of Ottawa.
DSCN3163.jpg

Confederation Park
DSCN3167.jpg

The National Arts Centre (NAC)
DSCN3168.jpg

Chateau Laurier / (old) Union Station
DSCN3170.jpg

Various shots around Chateau Laurier / Canal locks...
DSCN3171.jpg

DSCN3172.jpg

DSCN3173.jpg

Part III is here.

Great pics! Thanks again.

As I go to Ottawa quite often (and used to live there), I should point out that the Italian Pub - Pub Italia - which is located in Ottawa's Little Italy, has a fantastic selection of beer.

When living in Ottawa, the bike path from the NAC to Hogsback Falls, and back, was the route of my afternoon ride, a very pleasant route as you know.

The pedestrian bridge - which is now heavily used and a big success - was "controversial" before its construction. Some members of city council could not understand why pedestrians and cyclists couldn't just use the newly expanded Laurier bridge. Many residents of Centretown now have easy access to the Transitway on the other side of the canal because of this bridge.

Although I have grown a few more grey hairs, thanks for these lovely shots of Ottawa / Gatineau Part Deux - Folie à deux.

Many years ago I took one of those CN tours, beginning in Toronto. One of the stops was Ottawa in which we were booked at their version of Vieux-Québec’s Le Château Frontenac - the Château Laurier. Anytime I am there now, and get a choice for company comp', I usually select that hotel.

The city looks as clean as ever. It also has a way of looking empty at different times of the day, but I like that about this place.

I wonder how much Paul Anka, Rich Little, the late Lorne Greene, and recently Sandra Oh paid the locals to plug their names as born-in-Ottawa on the city tour buses? :)

I love the old CBC headquarters building. Now it's called the Edward Drake building, and it is used by CSIS or the RCMP or something. Sadly, the whole site is now fenced off, and if you get too close to it with a camera, security guards will coming running at you (as I discovered last summer).

DK416: Again good Ottawa pics!

DK416: Good Ottawa pics! I feel that Ottawa's VIA station though nice-I remember the circular ramp inside vividly-was a bad move instead of a Downtown station. I remember taking that OC #95 bus in my 9/85 visit also.
The Parliament Buildings and Rideau Canal is a classic. LI MIKE

DK416: Good Ottawa pics! I feel that Ottawa's VIA station though nice-I remember the circular ramp inside vividly-was a bad move instead of a Downtown station. I remember taking that OC #95 bus in my 9/85 visit also.

The VIA station in Ottawa is fantastic, albeit neglected. Yah, it's sad that the train station was moved away from downtown, but it did allow for the removal of the train tracks along the Rideau Canal (and the old downtown Union Station wasn't demolished, even if it is criminally underused).

But the "new" station at least has excellent public transit connections.

Back