8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

MisterF

Member Bio
Reaction score
Part 1 of my Ottawa Valley tour. There’s some nice towns around there, and a big government presence with the military and nuclear research.

First up, Carleton Place. A nice historic core and a history as a mill town. Highway 7 is being widened to 4 lanes so there’s a lot of growth on the south edge of town.

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

The old mill buildings are now condos.
008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Almonte is gorgeous – another old mill town. It’s worth the detour off the highway to see the waterfalls.

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

The Romanesque building is the post office. Romanesque institutional buildings are fairly common in rural Eastern Ontario.
007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

017.jpg

019.jpg

Just up the road is Arnprior, where the Madawaska and Ottawa Rivers meet.

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

016.jpg

Part 2 coming soon!

Good Ottawa Valley pics!

MF: Good pics from towns of the Ottawa Valley-I really like the use of brick and stone in those older towns-nice! LI MIKE

Those apartment balconies over the river; wonderfully situated. Must be great to have a view like that too. I would never tire of it. Great tour and pics, thank you.

Great thread. The Ottawa Valley and Lanark County are some of the few places in Ontario I have yet to see, though I drove through Arnprior, a pretty little town. I should make a point of visiting Perth, Carleton and Almonte.

Though I've got to move your thread - it's outside the GGH.

Thanks guys. Perth is a nice town as well, but I don't have any pictures of it. Of course, there's a gallery on Trillium Photography [/shameless plug].

Great tour MisterF. The clock towers in Carleton Place and Almonte are pretty well identical.
Renfrew has another one. That'll be in part 2.

Last edited:
Isn't Almonte the birthplace of basketball? It has a sort of Southern German/Bohemia look to it that I can't quite place.

Wonderful pics, thanks for the tour.

I'm amazed in Ontario how we tend to turn our backs on our rivers, with unattractive industrial piles or ugly blank brick walls (Paris Ontario, Elora etc). Maybe it's because we have such an abundance of lakes for people to enjoy?

I'm amazed in Ontario how we tend to turn our backs on our rivers, with unattractive industrial piles or ugly blank brick walls (Paris Ontario, Elora etc). Maybe it's because we have such an abundance of lakes for people to enjoy?

This is true of almost everywhere in the world that was developed during the Industrial revolution. Considering that most Ontario towns were founded between 1800-1880, our cities are just not old enough to have pre-industrial waterfront development (like Amsterdam or Venice) and not quite old enough to primarily develop waterfront spaces solely for leisure (only took off in the late 1800s in places like Atlantic City, Coney Island, Blackpool, Brighton, Nice, etc.). The idea of making riverfront areas leisurely public spaces came even later.

Last edited:

Back