It's certainly a good start but we are not there yet and 'the cheapening' can still take over!

The so called 'cheapening' that gets tossed around in various comments on this forum doesn't really exist. Contractors generally stick with the blue prints and schematics they receive from the developer and architectural firm (rather than the dreamt up aspirations of skyscraper geeks spending too much time looking at glossy artsy renderings – can people please stop using this term, it’s getting pretty silly and has little to no basis in reality). The bridge is part of the design and it is highly unlikely it would be removed.

The so called 'cheapening' that gets tossed around in various comments on this forum doesn't really exist. Contractors generally stick with the blue prints and schematics they receive from the developer and architectural firm (rather than the dreamt up aspirations of skyscraper geeks spending too much time looking at glossy artsy renderings – can people please stop using this term, it’s getting pretty silly and has little to no basis in reality). The bridge is part of the design and it is highly unlikely it would be removed.

Well said!! :)

It does exist but perhaps is exaggerated or overused. The builder of our condo neglected to build the lobby as advertised in renderings, opting to omit a beautiful wood partition that would have hid the mail area, amongst other minor variances.

The word does indeed have meaning around these parts. This isn't a site for developers, or for those who 'sympathize' with them. It is a site for those who advocate for good design, good architecture and a better public realm in Toronto. It seems a bit churlish to castigate one and all for using this term to express disappointment in misleading expectations, whether we understand the ins and outs of the development industry or not.

The word does indeed have meaning around these parts. This isn't a site for developers, or for those who 'sympathize' with them. It is a site for those who advocate for good design, good architecture and a better public realm in Toronto. It seems a bit churlish to castigate one and all for using this term to express disappointment in misleading expectations, whether we understand the ins and outs of the development industry or not.

We all want better design and high quality built form - I don't think you'll find anyone that would argue with that ... and I'm hardly a 'sympathizer' - I try to bringing relevant facts, correct blatant misrepresentations/misinterpretations and try to provide a bit of 'inside baseball' to the discussion as I may be in the minority, but I know a thing or two about the industry - both the good and the bad. (...hopefully that other perspective helps foster a high level of discourse in the various discussions at UT).

My point was that there are legitimate situations where changes occur throughout the development process where one could express disappointment (i.e. 'cheapening'). However I see many situations where no change to the design or budget ever actually occurred, yet the word 'cheapening' is used as some kind of slight as if last second changes were made (when in reality they weren't or in other cases they were, but budget had nothing to do with why changes occurred).

The point being, what was once a fairly relevant term when used appropriately is now more often than not being tossed around as a catch all phrase.

Taken today from the Gardner, looks like they're still planning for a bridge. ;)

4194869669_7f083133c9_b.jpg

Good news. Toronto has had a good month in terms of projects starting. aura, success 2/ 33 bay s and now this...

The crane for tower 2 is up?! No way :). Been waiting for this day for ages.

It will make for a great UT update when the skybridge starts going in.

According to that ad, this building will offer it's occupants views of what seems to be either Singapore or Shanghai. If that is possible from Front and Spadina in Toronto, then I'm sold!

Back