8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ElDee

Member Bio
Reaction score
Didn't see any previous chatter about pho, so let's have at it!:)

I probably hit up the pho joint once every two weeks. It's cheap and does the job.

I often lament that there's no pho joint within lazy distance of the harbour front. Dio Vien or whatever they're called these days, at Gerrard and Jones is my current favourite, if a bit salty.

Xe Lua is always a go to quick-fix.

Do you think any smart entrepreneurs can revolutionize the dish?

And what about the question of authenticity? Friends and family who are from/have been to Vietnam tend to be pretty ambivalent regarding the authenticity of what we have in Toronto.

Thoughts on pho, anyone? :p

I eat at Pho Hung fairly often. Wouldn't know a thing about authenticity but it sure is delicious

+1 for Xe Lua on Spadina. Often times I make the trip out to Warden just south of Steeles to the Pho 88 at Bamburgh Circle, Scarborough for pho. It's the bare bones, no frills type of place but you can tell it's a hot spot by the steady flow of customers at almost all times of the day. It can be at full capacity while other restaurants in the same plaza are totally empty.

Not quite downtown area, but Big Bowl is my go to in Mississauga. Otherwise it's Pho Hung (Spadina). Always go for the brisket - the fatty meat makes all the difference.

AoD

My go-to is Pho Tien Thanh on Ossington just north of Queen. Bit out of the way, but has the best broth I've ever had.

Xe lua and Pho Pasteur have been around for ever! I haven't been back to Pasteur in 20 yrs, and I guess I should! I will always fondly think of Xe Lua for those late night fixes after last call, and the fights that would sometimes break out between the hot heads. :)

How can pho not be "authentic", lol? It alreayd has wide appeal, and it's not much like other Vietnamese food to begin with. I think both bun bo hue and bun rieu are much better than pho and more representative of Vietnamese cuisine. I don't have suggestions for pho since I dont like the pho much.

There aren't any good places to have Pho near Yonge and Bloor. Since moving a couple of years ago out of the Beaches, I'm no longer near my previous favourite Pho place Mi Mi in the Gerard Chinatown.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for Pho within walking distance of Yonge and Bloor?

My favourite pho place is Pho Dau Bo at Creditview and Bristol in Mississauga. I know it's a chain, but that location in particular has the tastiest pho. I don't bother with the other locations.

I went to the Pho 88 at Markham and Steeles this past summer, and it was surprisingly good considering the remote location

Golden Turtle at Queen and Ossington. Go for the hipsters stay for the bun.
You could have got an easy "man bun" pun in there

Back