News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Which version of Pic Of The Day do you want to see?

• Small pic with caption on top

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Small pic with caption on bottom

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Small pic with caption on top with option to expand picture in new window

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Small pic with caption on bottom with option to expand picture in new window

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Slighty larger pic with no caption

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Slighty larger pic with no caption with option to expand picture in new window

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters
I like the pic, you should make it a link to a bigger size so people can click on it and have it pop up.
Also the text: Urban Toronto Pic of the Day. I'd put that under the pic instead of above it. I think it would look better. Being above it makes it look like the title of the page sort of.

PS: What's wrong wtih the site? I have been getting database errors when trying to read topics a couple times in the past week.

Good to see the pic of the day back.

I think the text "Urban Toronto Pic of the Day" is completely redundant and unnecessary as it's quite clear what it is and could be completely eliminated. This would let the picture be sized at 318 pixels tall and still not take up any more space than the UT logo.

The picture is probably to small for you to see the details but RBC is certainly not under construction. CIBC would have been the next tower going up and its not in this picture either. In fact the TD tower to the right still has its construction elevator visible.

There's no option for slightly larger pic with caption and ability to expand.

i think the captions should be location specific.

p.s, the caption on top vs. bottom is throwing the vote!

i think the vote is divided into these sections...

1A)Small pic with caption on top
1B)Small pic with caption on bottom
-----------------------------------------
2A)Small pic with caption on top with option to expand picture in new window
2B)Small pic with caption on bottom with option to expand picture in new window
---------------------------------------------------
3)Slighty larger pic with no caption
----------------------------------------
4)Slighty larger pic with no caption with option to expand picture in new window

i think if section 4 should have 12 votes for example and section 2A should have 6 votes and section 2B should have 7 votes, sections 2A+2B should be counted as one vote against section 4 because their only difference is weather to put the caption on top or bottom. then section 2B should be chosen because it beat 2A. it would make sense for me since more people overall in this scenario would have voted for the option of a small picture with the option to expand into a new window than those who voted for a larger pic and the option to expand into a new window.

just my opinion. :)

When I posted, there was still the pic of the new RBC/Ritz site, with Roy Thomson Hall in the background.

Funny. The pic went up first.

You're not changing the same file name for the picture each time you update. Web browsers save the images on each webpage to the hard drive so they don't have to be re-downloaded each time which saves bandwidth. Andrea's computer sees that the UT webpage includes an image named "picoftheday.jpg", it then sees that it already has an image named "picoftheday.jpg" on its hard drive from urbantoronto.ca, so it loads that instead.

• Pic of the Day is a good concept. I've seen it on other boards as well. However, I predict you will get pressure to move it for Advertisement later.

• Duplicating what is in the thread is not a good idea - so I particularly like the decision to look back into Toronto's past.

• I would also like to see the option of selecting the photo and having it enlarge in a separate window. This keeps the image small enough for seeing more of the content, but still allowing for more detail whenever the image is of special interest to any of us.

Back