DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
Pier 8 Proposals now available for viewing!

Here are the entries:

GulfDream w. Hariri Pontarini Architects & McCallum Sather Architects: https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/priority-projects/proponent-gulfdream

Tridel w. ArchitectsAlliance: https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/priority-projects/proponent-tridel

UrbanCapital, Milborne, Core Urban w. Saucier Perrotte, RAW & Public Work: https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/priority-projects/proponent-urban-capitalcore-urbanmilborne-group

Cityzen/Fernbrook Homes w. KPMB, Superkul, Omar Gandhi & GH3: https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/priority-projects/proponent-waterfront-shores

Hamilton is currently in the process of a sort of mini-Bayfront waterfront redevelopment as well.

The project involves a new waterfront promenade along the former Pier 8 of the harbour, several new development blocks, as well as a new boardwalk and smaller scale retail and hotel buildings further east.

The project is initiated by the City of Hamilton, who has now built the roads and will be opening the new park in the next couple of weeks. They vended the development sites to a consortium consisting of Cityzen Development Corporation, Fernbrook Homes Group, GFL Environmental Inc., and Greybrook Realty Partners Inc.

The project involves several mid-rise sites, shown in the winning rendering from the proponent. KPMB is the lead architect for the site, however they have several different architects leading the design of each individual block:

2019_02_28_01_08_46_2.jpg

2019_02_28_01_08_46_4.jpg
2019_02_28_01_08_46_5.jpg
2019_02_28_01_08_46_6.jpg
2019_02_28_01_08_48_8.jpg
2019_02_28_01_08_46_3.jpg

Latest plans include swapping out one block for a new 46-storey tower. This would be the new tallest building in Hamilton - though would still not exceed the geodetic elevation of Landmark Place, owing to its lower ground floor elevation. This tower has yet to be approved by council, and is being sold as a way to deliver a significant amount of family-sized units.

pier_8_tower_2.jpg

This is probably the single most exciting development in Hamilton right now if you ask me. The north end of the city around here has gentrified significantly over the last decade and is actually very expensive by Hamilton standards. With good access to GO service here and a very desirable location, I think the developer is going for some high end sales here by Hamilton standards.

Some photos of the nearly completed park:

planting_tree.jpg
37HBzThh.jpg
geBsKqOh.jpg

Wow, I never imagined I'd see a nice waterfront area in Hamilton of all places.
Bayfront Park in Hamilton is actually great, along with the trail that runs along the lake to Cootes Paradise, running under the rail lines and the 403 with some really neat bridges there. I highly recommend a trip out with a bike to go explore one day on the GO train.

Bayfront Park in Hamilton is actually great, along with the trail that runs along the lake to Cootes Paradise, running under the rail lines and the 403 with some really neat bridges there. I highly recommend a trip out with a bike to go explore one day on the GO train.

Thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't aware of that and just assumed that everything along the lake in Hamilton is a horrid industrial wasteland.

Thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't aware of that and just assumed that everything along the lake in Hamilton is a horrid industrial wasteland.
it's certianly the common impression of the city, I think mostly influenced by the views of the steel plants along the Burlington Skyway. It's very much not the case on the ground in the city though, Hamilton has a lot of great neighbourhoods, commercial streets, and parks.

Wow. I'm amazed just how much crazy development there is around the GTA this looks awesome and that 46 story could become a Hamilton landmark if done correctly

Not sure what's the latest status of this project but there's detailed renderings from KPMB's website:

Also an article from April 2021 about the Hamilton DRP to deliberate on a conceptualized 45 storey tower along the site. However, I couldn't find any follow update or info about it after.

pier8.jpg

Exciting times for Hamilton... this looks to be a huge game-changer and sign of things to come. That tower dwarfs everything around it... should it come to pass.

Not sure what's the latest status of this project but there's detailed renderings from KPMB's website:

Also an article from April 2021 about the Hamilton DRP to deliberate on a conceptualized 45 storey tower along the site. However, I couldn't find any follow update or info about it after.

View attachment 360872

Despite a relatively small floor plate, I find this looks imposing, fat, and out of place in the context of the new waterfront in Hamilton.

Move the building to DT Hamilton, come up with something more appropriate here.

Despite a relatively small floor plate, I find this looks imposing, fat, and out of place in the context of the new waterfront in Hamilton.

Move the building to DT Hamilton, come up with something more appropriate here.
Looks a little like Lake Point Tower...

...I'm not sure they're going to get that height though with it appearing to above the escarpment looming in the background. I heard that's a no-no over there.

Back