Jasonzed

Member Bio
Reaction score
There are at least two more phases to this project with the two empty lots along Hurontario, it looks like they could potentially be larger buildings.

I'm glad the developers have done an alright job of making each phase of Pinnacle Uptown look different.

Well, somebody seems to be listening...
DJI_0697.JPG
DJI_0691.JPG
P1050851.JPG
P1050850.JPG
P1050849.JPG

Attachments

• DJI_0697.JPG
    DJI_0697.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 2,123
  • DJI_0691.JPG
    DJI_0691.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 2,097
  • P1050851.JPG
    P1050851.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 2,241
  • P1050850.JPG
    P1050850.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 2,137
  • P1050849.JPG
    P1050849.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 1,984
I wish Mississauga posted development application documents online. Too bad we will have to wait until planning committee meets after the election for the details.

It looks like the gas station will still be at the corner for this one, as the developments are only going on the lots in front of Amber and Perla. Hoping these changes get approved.

I'm glad to see that one developer is planning on doing some serious density along Hurontario. The designs for these are quite nice and should look incredible if they use similar quality glass as the first two phases used.

It looks like the gas station will still be at the corner for this one, as the developments are only going on the lots in front of Amber and Perla. Hoping these changes get approved.

I don’t think so. If you look at the photo of the application notice (last photo by Jasonzed on Friday), you see that the plan extends all the way to Eglinton.

I don’t think so. If you look at the photo of the application notice (last photo by Jasonzed on Friday), you see that the plan extends all the way to Eglinton.

The application notice doesn't show it extending all the way to Eglinton, the intersection shown in the diagram is Hurontario Street and Watergarden Drive. The largest tower is going to sit in place of the sales centre right next to the gas station. This other image from the architect's site also shows that it doesn't go right to the corner.

watergarden3.jpg

One can hope that they'd eventually buy the gas station land too and redevelop it but it's already in a pretty convenient spot as it is.

The gas station owner did not want to sell their lively hood, I understand but it's too bad. I believe the same thing will happen at the gas station at Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe, new development will be built around it.

Yeah, you can't blame them for wanting to stick around when the development gets hot. The owners will likely make way more money holding onto these stations as the area intensifies and more people want to gas up as they drive to and from their condos. Even downtown Toronto has gas stations so it's ultimately not a huge deal.

I doubt it includes the gas station land. It takes a long time to remove contaminated soils and no-one wants to assume the liabilities associated with the contaminated site and associated "plume" of contamination that leaches into the ground water and well beyond the site. All gas stations sit on contaminated soils - thats the key reason they are so hard to sell.

I don't see why contaminated soil should be considered problematic at urban condo sites. Kids won't be playing in the dirt here.

I don't see why contaminated soil should be considered problematic at urban condo sites. Kids won't be playing in the dirt here.

It's more complex than that. A lot of it has to deal with groundwater and drainage. Redeveloping a site like that is bound to have lots of VOC related contaminants in the soil from gas/diesel reservoir and piping leakage and whatnot.

You do have a good point, a condo requires lots of excavation and will remove most of the soil anyway. However, the soil isn't usually fully recoverable with an urban site where your excavation is limited. It often means that drainage and water systems need to be worked around the remaining contamination, and vapour barriers need to be installed in the hole to contain any remaining hazards. Things like underground parking could possibly see an effect from contaminated soils as well, fumes and slow water leakage into a parking garage can bring VOCs and fuels into direct contact with people that way. Older gas stations only increase the risk as there is likely more contaminant.

It all seems kind of redundant but it's necessary to eliminate some bad "what if" scenarios. Nobody wants to be held liable if fumes or contaminated water start poisoning residents or affecting neighbouring properties.

Back