News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Eug

Member Bio
Reaction score

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 8.52.39 PM.png

I'm thinking this is supposed to be a fictionalized version of the Dundas Street Chinatown. I say this because it's a Chinatown of course, and earlier in the trailer she's running along some roofs south with the CN Tower and the Rogers Centre off to the left.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 8.52.23 PM.png

She is running toward what looks like a Buddhist Temple, but AFAIK, such a temple doesn't exist there. Also, she's supposed to be running from Lester B. Pearson high school, but that's in Scarborough.

View attachment 335475

I'm thinking this is supposed to be a fictionalized version of the Dundas Street Chinatown. I say this because it's a Chinatown of course, and earlier in the trailer she's running along some roofs south with the CN Tower and the Rogers Centre off to the left.

View attachment 335474

She is running toward what looks like a Buddhist Temple, but AFAIK, such a temple doesn't exist there. Also, she's supposed to be running from Lester B. Pearson high school, but that's in Scarborough.

There's a thread over at SSP at the moment on where movies/tv shows, typically of the live-action variety (as opposed to animated) take serious liberties, often because they shoot in different cities than where the production is 'set'.

Not an issue in animated shows, or so you might think...............but the animation serves the story first, and the location second.

The location is an idea; a feeling............not so much a precise map.

Many productions mess that up, at that level..........

But still, the aspiration is 'does it feel like'.....Toronto)

And by that, I mean the Toronto that best serves the story and the imagination of the lead writer.

Last edited:
It seems like a hybrid of locations/architecture in Spadina Chinatown I think - like a cross between Dundas, side streets like Cecil with the Italianate mansions and looking east towards the hospital row.

Pretty excited about this new movie actually - Toronto playing itself is rare.

AoD

Yeah, Toronto "feel" with a hybrid of locations makes sense. The choice of Lester B Pearson makes sense too because it's potentially recognizably Toronto even for non-Torontonians - YYZ.

However, I think in street shot we are looking west, because she's flying through the air south.

I'd say they hybridized it quite well - artistic liberties aside, it *feels* like Toronto.

Maybe someone from the Chinatown BIA should hit up Disney/Pixar and do some cross-promo - it would be kind of neat to see a mascot hanging around in that part of the city.

AoD

Back