News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.6K     0 

greenleaf

Member Bio
Reaction score
Executive Summary [pdf]

From email from the City:

Release of Consultants Study and Staff Report on Employment Uses in Toronto

As an important element of the Official Plan Reviews the City commissioned a team of consultants to examine evolving employment trends and changing land and space needs for office, industrial, and retail businesses. This report, Sustainable Competitive Advantage and Prosperity - Planning for Employment Uses in the City of Toronto, was prepared by a consortium of consultants consisting of Malone Givens Parsons Ltd., Cushman and Wakefield, Real Estate Search Corporation and The Centre for Spatial Economics. The study's key conclusions are that sustaining Toronto's competitive advantage and prosperity will require:

A new focus on targeting new office space construction to realize future growth potential; and
Continued preservation of the industrial employment land base for its wealth generating capacity.

A staff report on Employment Use Policies will be considered by Planning and Growth Management Committee on September 13, 2012 in Committee Room 1 of City Hall, 100 Queen Street West. The item will be considered some time after 10 a.m. The report presents directions for changes to the Official Plan policies for employment.

Ha, was about to make a post about this.

It's interesting but unfortunetly I feel these studies are done every X # years to make it look like some action is taken.

No specific (and tangle suggestions) e.g.
- To encourage office growth in our centers [i.e. NYCC / Y&E / SCC / ECC] come up with incentives for developers to make it more enticing to build offices (potentially lowering the tax rate on new developments).

Just a lot of hand waving ...

I read most of the report just now. There are actually some very interesting nuggets in there. An example is that industrial production in the City of Toronto is actually higher now than in 2001 even though we lost 59,000 manufacturing jobs.

Back