News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The whole idea of the day and its chosen date were closely organized by the Trudeau Liberals. Why the heck would he then take the day off? J#sus.
I think this might be a clear sign that he is stepping down. It's part of his mania, his first term was feminism, the second was first nations. The race fetish is not very productive or popular.

I'd have to agree. He's probably out before the next election.

People do have short memories though, so if things improve a lot over the next few years I can see him wanting to try for a 4th win.

That said, all leaders have a best before date and I think Trudeau is at or nearing his.

Delivering on the promised affordable day care and pharma care can still save him.

Nah, he was at the ceremony in Ottawa the night before.

Would you think the same thing if he put down a wreath at the War Memorial on November 10th and then went surfing on Remembrance Day?

He did all he had to do IMO.

Leadership is about going above and beyond and leading by example. And especially for a holiday he advocated for, it was especially important for him to show up. Phoning it in, is not an option here.

I agree with him on policy issues. But he has terrible political instincts. And at this point, he might be hurting the Liberal cause more than helping.

Delivering on the promised affordable day care and pharma care can still save him.

I would add 'enhanced parental leave' to that package.

That one was a Liberal promise in the last term, that had several positives about it from both a policy perspective and a Liberal political one.

The ideas bandied about, without too much specificity were to:

a) Separate the program from EI (business would love this as it would lower the EI premium absent other EI enhancements)

b) Make the program easier to access; under EI it was subject to the same hours and weeks access rules as regular EI. Quebec, with its own program moved to allow more part-time workers access to the program and look at
total hours worked in the year prior, qualifying more women/parents to benefit

c) Adopting a higher income replacement rate; at 55% (the same as EI) the replacement income is too low for many families, which then return to the workforce sooner than the program allows for.

The ideas above, come with some real policy advantages, beyond relieving business on payroll tax; they allow for more parents to stay home at the point where providing childcare is most expensive (infant care).
They also would serve to boost women's income disproportionately, which would close the overall earnings gap between men and women by a point or two.
That, in turn would poll very well with women voters and young families, especially in urban areas, which are a Liberal core vote.
It also serves, at the margins, to reduce income inequality, as it raises the payout at the low/middle end of the spectrum, but the payout remains capped for high-income earners.

Combine that with Pharmacare, strategically rolled out beginning with Contraception (cheap, and ends up saving the gov't money on both unwanted children/teen parents as well as abortions.).......plays great w/the feminist Trudeau vibe.
Then Insulin, why that one? Because its a chronic cost for those who need it; and it would disproportionately benefit First Nations in this country which works well w/the reconciliation idea.

Then you're on to something.

But I don't know that any of it really saves Trudeau in the sense of another election cycle................what it does is give him 'legacy points' and the Liberals an advantage under a new leader.

Last edited:
That said, all leaders have a best before date and I think Trudeau is at or nearing his.
I think he’s taken too long, and done his successor Freeland a Kim Campbell or Paul Martin. Trudeau has overstayed and now poisoned the brand. Can Freeland beat O’Toole? IDK.

Trudeau had one job, defeating Harper to recover the Liberal party back to power after the dark Ignatieff and Dion years. The problem for Trudeau is he has no purpose or future. He’s 50 years old, he’s not a lawyer, has no professional accreditations, what’s he going to do?

Last edited:
I think he’s taken too long, and done his successor Freeland a Kim Campbell or Paul Martin. Trudeau has overstayed and now poisoned the brand. Can Freeland beat O’Toole? IDK.

That's very possible. Personally I think Freeland could beat O'Toole, especially if they implement affordable daycare and pharmacare (as @Towered suggested).

Trudeau had one job, defeating Harper to recover the Liberal party back to power after the dark Ignatieff and Dion years. The problem for Trudeau is he has no purpose or future. He’s 50 years old, he’s not a lawyer, has no professional accreditations, what’s he going to do?

I don't think a former PM has to worry about finding gigs, especially one that's fairly well regarded abroad.

Would you think the same thing if he put down a wreath at the War Memorial on November 10th and then went surfing on Remembrance Day?

You do know he didn't go surfing, right? But yes, if his father died Nov 9 and his dead brothers birthday was Nov 13, I'd cut him some slack.

I find that to be the weakest of weak excuses. I have had to do many work-related things over the years on the actual dates of my parents' and sibling's deaths. We all do. His loss is no greater nor less than anyone else's.

Reactions: syn
I find that to be the weakest of weak excuses. I have had to do many work-related things over the years on the actual dates of my parents' and sibling's deaths. We all do. His loss is no greater nor less than anyone else's.
He chose or at least approved the date for the Day of Remembrance. If it didn't jive with his personal calendar then change the DoR date or adjust your calendar. This guy's a tool.

That's very possible. Personally I think Freeland could beat O'Toole, especially if they implement affordable daycare and pharmacare (as @Towered suggested).
But they won't. Have the Liberals under Trudeau implemented any of their promises from 2015 and 2019?

1) Promised to lift all long-term drinking-water advisories by March 2021. Nope
2) Promised to replace the first-past-the-post voting system. Nope
3) Promised “a modest short-term deficit” of less than $10 billion in each of the first three years and then a balanced budget by the 2019-2020 fiscal year. Nope
4) Promised to Reduce cell phone bills by 25 per cent annually, Nope
5) Promised to Implement a universal pharmacare program. Nope

Trudeau will have no problem getting an agent for the global speaking circuit. He's still a darling of the centre-left commentariat in the US and Europe.

I could also see him starting some sort of WE-like social innovation charity or something.

Back