News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think he’s taken too long, and done his successor Freeland a Kim Campbell or Paul Martin. Trudeau has overstayed and now poisoned the brand. Can Freeland beat O’Toole? IDK.

Trudeau had one job, defeating Harper to recover the Liberal party back to power after the dark Ignatieff and Dion years. The problem for Trudeau is he has no purpose or future. He’s 50 years old, he’s not a lawyer, has no professional accreditations, what’s he going to do?

As a former PM he'll have plenty of options. Write a juicy, tell-all memoir/biography, do speaking tours, sit on numerous boards sucking the corporate teat...or just withdraw completely from public life and throw himself into personal hobbies. That's what I would do!

As a former PM he'll have plenty of options. Write a juicy, tell-all memoir/biography, do speaking tours, sit on numerous boards sucking the corporate teat...or just withdraw completely from public life and throw himself into personal hobbies. That's what I would do!
Harper seems to have vanished.

Harper seems to have vanished.

I've occasionally read that he still holds a sizeable amount of influence and power over the CPC behind the scenes, or at least he still did while Andrew Scheer was leader. O'Toole however seemed eager to excise the demons of the Harper era by trotting out Mulroney on the campaign trail. Speaking of, there's rumours that Ben Mulroney will be going into politics now that he quit his job at ETalk...

Speaking of, there's rumours that Ben Mulroney will be going into politics now that he quit his job at ETalk...
I can't see Ben wanting to be Con leader. It's a significant pay cut until he becomes PM. Today's Cons are a western grievance party. He'd be more welcome in the BQ, LPC or Greens.

I don't see a Trudeau resignation imminent. However, you have to think Mark Carney and Chrystia Freeland are measuring the drapes at 24 Sussex.
I doubt they are either so eager. It is likely that Trudeau retiring will presage another spell in opposition. I doubt either relish the idea of being leader of the opposition.

I can't see Ben wanting to be Con leader. It's a significant pay cut until he becomes PM. Today's Cons are a western grievance party. He'd be more welcome in the BQ, LPC or Greens.

Ya, I don't see it either. From what I've seen of his public life he's done nothing to build on or exploit his dad's legacy or even run in political circles. His only apparent connection to public life is through a couple of now-former Royals.

You do know he didn't go surfing, right? But yes, if his father died Nov 9 and his dead brothers birthday was Nov 13, I'd cut him some slack.

I find that to be the weakest of weak excuses. I have had to do many work-related things over the years on the actual dates of my parents' and sibling's deaths. We all do. His loss is no greater nor less than anyone else's.

Agreed, I don't understand how this can be considered any kind of excuse.

If it's something that affects him this greatly every year, perhaps he should've picked a different date for Truth & Reconciliation Day.

Of course, we all know that's not why he went on vacation. If it was, he and his staff would've have went out of their way to deceive the public.

I don't see a Trudeau resignation imminent. However, you have to think Mark Carney and Chrystia Freeland are measuring the drapes at 24 Sussex.
If I was the Cons I'd be hoping for Freeland as LPC leader. Even in these woke days, cloaked misogyny runs deep in Canadians, with many Ontarians carrying the memory of Mother Wynne.

If I was the Cons I'd be hoping for Freeland as LPC leader. Even in these woke days, cloaked misogyny runs deep in Canadians, with many Ontarians carrying the memory of Mother Wynne.

Mark Carney may be the solid choice if they can get him onboard.

He is well respected in his field both here and abroad. I doubt he would have many problems among the electorate.

I find him more likeable, more confident and more capable than Freeland.

If she was to be the leader of the liberals they would go back to third party status. Mark Carney would be a formidable challenger.

I find him more likeable, more confident and more capable than Freeland. If she was to be the leader of the liberals they would go back to third party status.
Freeland, with her pregnant pauses and pondering cadence would get destroyed in the debates. She's no Maggie Thatcher, Jacinda Ardern, Elizabeth Warren or Angela Merkel.

Bur only if the Cons put a strong centrist forward as leader. What the Cons need to realize is that it doesn't matter who the leader is, western cons will follow them anywhere. So, you take that for granted (leakage to the PPC aside) and find a Quebecer (not Bernier) or bilingual Atlantic Canadian or Ontarian to run. Maybe someone from Manitoba?

Last edited:
Freeland, with her pregnant pauses and pondering cadence would get destroyed in the debates. She's no Maggie Thatcher, Jacinda Ardern, Elizabeth Warren or Angela Merkel.

Bur only if the Cons put a strong centrist forward as leader. What the Cons need to realize is that it doesn't matter who the leader is, western cons will follow them anywhere. So, you take that for granted (leakage to the PPC aside) and find a Quebecer (not Bernier) or bilingual Atlantic Canadian or Ontarian to run. Maybe someone from Manitoba?

Fully agree. Freeland seems like a nice enough, likeable lady, but I don't see her as a leader. And yes, there's something strange about how she speaks - doesn't seem very natural and flowing. Carney on paper would be dramatically preferable, but I haven't heard him speak.

Fully agree. Freeland seems like a nice enough, likeable lady, but I don't see her as a leader. And yes, there's something strange about how she speaks - doesn't seem very natural and flowing. Carney on paper would be dramatically preferable, but I haven't heard him speak.

I once saw the RCMP carry him out of the the Allstream Centre (now Beanfield Centre) during the G20. My coworkers accidentally set fire to the building during a G20 Finance Ministers meeting in 2010.

We came off the freight elevator from the upper conference room to the service corridor and noticed thick black smoke. Turns out, one of the people working lunch had left a Sterno fuel canister lit under 3 trays of greasy fried chicken on a plastic cart which then caught fire as the tray leaked. My coworker emptied a fire extinguisher on it which did not work, he then proceeded to obtain a fire hose and quickly doused the flames.

While he was doing that, I managed to pull the alarm and alert everyone as the first floor was unoccupied at the time. Just before TFS arrived, one of the Exhibition Place Staff tried to tell Security to silence the alarm. When TFS did arrive, my coworker walked out of the service corridor followed by a thick plume of black smoke. At that point TFS directed the building be evacuated.

I distinctly recall my Director of Operations telling me to to "pray that nobody was killed or injured because it could cause an international incident". The concern was that if one of the Finance Ministers were to be seriously injured or killed, their governments would have something to say about it.

Back