News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So Monday is officially a Canadian federal holiday, meaning it works like Remembrance Day.
Banks are closed. No mail delivery or pick up.

The Ontario government still has the option to make it a provincial holiday too, but they don't have to. The Ontario government will be operating as normal as of now. The LCBO will open (probably on reduced hours), the Toronto Stock Exchange will have trading but no settlements of stocks, schools will be open, though I guess Universities have the independence to decide for themselves.

Last edited:
So Monday is officially a Canadian federal holiday, meaning like Remembrance Day.
Banks are closed. No mail.

Note the Ontario government still has the option to make it a Provincial holiday too. It's up to them, but for now, Ontario government will be operating, LCBO open (probably reduced hours) and Toronto Stock Exchange will have trading but no settlements.

I got a kick out of the CFIB statement. They are urging the provinces not to give the day off as a holiday to prevent undue burden on small businesses. Personally, I have no sympathy for the CFIB in this regard, it is a holiday to mourn the death of the sovereign after all. If a business cannot manage to handle one unexpected stat, I would be worried about their financial health overall.

So this holiday was apparently not extended to "federally regulated" industries, only to direct federal government employees, meaning it is up in the air now whether banks will be open or not on Monday.

So this holiday was apparently not extended to "federally regulated" industries, only to direct federal government employees, meaning it is up in the air now whether banks will be open or not on Monday.

It may be related to the fact the funeral procession starts at 130 am and the funeral itself starts at 6 am both EST.

A provincial stat wouldn't do much other than signify respect.

Does anyone here honestly believe that people will mourn the monarch if they get the day off?

Does anyone here honestly believe that people will mourn the monarch if they get the day off?
It's a show of respect and good that the Federal govt is doing it for its own employees only. If a company wants to do the same, more power to them but it is very disruptive (and expensive) to have a sudden holiday.

A compelling argument for not giving the public sector the day off either, then, no?
My wife and I have a day off Monday. We will be glued to the TV watching the funeral. If President Biden died in office, I’m sure the Americans would give themselves a day off.

The British tea and goods shops I frequent are closing on Monday. I personally have been mourning the Queen since her passing. I have watched every royal event starting with Charles' investiture as Prince of Wales, so I'm not about to stop now.

A little birdie told me the bank regulator, OSFI, and the heads of the banking sector are convening for a special meeting very early in the morning to decide whether to open or not next Monday.
There is some push to close banks, which would in-turn give a lot more people a day off, but adding a bank holiday so quickly will cause a lot of indigestion for the computerised systems which will all need this holiday suddenly programmed into the calendar, and then tested to make sure they don't foul it up (pre-authorised or pre-scheduled payments already setup to run that day will have to be cancelled and rebooked for Tuesday or the previous Friday), but it apparently can be done as long as they decide tomorrow.

Last edited:
A litindigestion for the computerised systems which will all need this holiday suddenly programmed into the calendar, and then tested to make sure they don't foul it up (pre-authorised or pre-scheduled payments already setup to run that day will have to be cancelled and rebooked
I see no reason HAL can’t keep running if the banks are closed all but for the essential systems ops.

My wife and I have a day off Monday. We will be glued to the TV watching the funeral. If President Biden died in office, I’m sure the Americans would give themselves a day off.
My point is, in response to the message that you quoted, that I wager the proportion of people who will be genuinely mourning the Queen as compared to those who just want some time off is going to be the same in the government as in the provinces. If they took this into account and still saw fit to declare a holiday, there's really no reason why the same couldn't be done for the provinces.

Seemingly, the Trudeau Liberals are set to prioritize a new Canada disability benefit for working-age Canadians.

As I understand the concept, its envisioned as a supplement to benefits like ODSP. The amount of the benefit has not been defined as yet, that would occur via regulation, but to my understanding the number $500 per month was being bandied about.

If delivered, it could be a significant anti-poverty measure. The devil, of course, is in the details, including who is eligible, the amount, and whether or not provinces may be permitted to claw back any existing provincial benefit.

Looks like (mandatory) ArriveCan, along with travel-related vaccination requirements will be gone in a little over a week.

1663745355384.png

Apparently mask requirements on planes and trains will remain for now.

Looks like (mandatory) ArriveCan, along with travel-related vaccination requirements will be gone in a little over a week.

View attachment 428006

Apparently mask requirements on planes and trains will remain for now.

Not that I'm anti-mask but realistically they should be optional on planes and trains by now.

Back